Manchester City 2-1 West Ham Utd: match thread (27/02/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I agree Sendo
We played our best football when behind but we were a little passive when at 1-1 early second half
Of course, the idea was to keep it tight, which we did pretty well, but I just think if we had more belief then we could have not just sat back and conceded the inevitable 2nd goal, but got one ourselves

Would love to see us get right on the front foot vs Leeds and win 4-2
Westhamfan
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Westhamfan »

“City didn't even have to play that well to beat West Ham on Saturday”

Danny Murphy BBC football “expert”
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well after thinking time the overriding emotion is pride. We went to one of the best teams in Europe and gave them a really tough game, we have come so far under Moyes & his coaching staff.

A bit of me over the weekend felt "why didn't we go for it in the 2nd half", but that has gone, we gave the champions elect one of their toughest games in their incredible run.

Perhaps Oggy fit we may have grabbed a point or more, but I don't want that to take anything away from our back line, they were bang on it.

I'm now finally starting to believe we are a really GOOD side, we are there on merit, it's in our hands to make Europe and it is a real possibility if key players stay fit & we keep this team spirit going.

Bring on the Leeds :scarfer: :crest:
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Don't often see so much positivity after a loss but I think it's deserved. We played really well on Saturday and possibly unlucky not to nick a point at the end.

In the 20 game winning run city have beaten Arsenal (twice), Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs. I don't watch all of city's games, but going by what is being said on Blue Moon we have been the best and come the closest to stopping that run. I think we can be happy with the way we played, even without taking any points back with us.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Westhamfan wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 am “City didn't even have to play that well to beat West Ham on Saturday”

It's always '*team* didn't have to play well to win' rather than '*team* were disrupted from playing at their best', isn't it?

For a City team who have regularly topped 90% pass completion in games recently, we kept them (just) below that, and a lot of it has to do with how well we picked the ball up before a pass could be completed - we made double the amount of interceptions at the weekend than pretty much every team they've played in the league recently, with the exception of Everton.

City didn't play well because we didn't let them play well.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

It’s easy to be nice when you’ve won the game and 12 points clear at the top! ;)

I remember being at old Trafford, Ashton scored with an overhead kick...cue applause from all round the ground..great mark of respect, however would they have been so kind of they weren’t 3 up at the time...
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

Westhamfan wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 am “City didn't even have to play that well to beat West Ham on Saturday”

f*** wit isnt he. We stopped them playing that well and created far more chances than they did. Their coach said as much in interviews.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Do people really care what the perception is about how we or our opposition play?

I'm happy if we can stay relatively under the radar, will mean that people will continue to underestimate us.

Carry on, I say.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

I used to quite like Danny Murphey on the radio, but now he's just become a contrarian wazzock.

Begone, monotoned arsewipe.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Danny Murphy.

Just me?

:D
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Danny Murphy is another one of them who just doesn't like us and sadly can't find it in him to give us any praise; even though he's supposed to be an "unbiased" pundit.

Like most of them who have their tongues down the back of the big 4/6's pants; ignore them and move on.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

tbf the pundits across all media have been very scathing towards all of the 'big 6' apart from Man City this season

They all have a hard on for Man City at the moment, but that is fairly understandable given they have won 20 games in a row and could feasibly win the quadruple!
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

S-H wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:19 pm Danny Murphy.

Just me?

Spot on! That’s Gary and Danny.
Chapel Hill Hammer

Post by Chapel Hill Hammer »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 pm Danny Murphy is another one of them who just doesn't like us and sadly can't find it in him to give us any praise; even though he's supposed to be an "unbiased" pundit.

Like most of them who have their tongues down the back of the big 4/6's pants; ignore them and move on.
Think Pep Guardiola's comments after the game was 'expert' commentary on the game? I think he knows the score.

Very good performance overall, glorious in defeat.

If we continue to play as we did against City we will qualify for CL.

COYI :scarfer:
DoubleDave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by DoubleDave »

S-H wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:19 pm Danny Murphy.

Just me?

The Brain is definitely Danny Murphy's doppelganger, or should it be the other way around?
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I'm still annoyed that we lost. I'm always annoyed when we lose. Doesn't matter to me if it's Man.City or Macclesfield. Fifty seven years of following this club and I still hate it when we lose to anyone.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 pm Danny Murphy is another one of them who just doesn't like us and sadly can't find it in him to give us any praise; even though he's supposed to be an "unbiased" pundit.

Wouldn't say that's the case at all. He has regularly defended fans on Talksport when White has been having a go. On numerous occasions he's stated support for previous marches.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:00 pm Nice one. You're a great ambassador for your club.

Can you tell your players to stay on their feet when they lose the ball though. :wink:
I’ll let Pep do that.

Hadn’t expected this winning run after the 5-2 defeat at home to Leicester etc.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

You are right,Happyhammer.

Murphy always seems rational to me.

The brilliant de bruyne's passing was unusually all over the place. City weren't at their best.But because that doesnt suit the narrative,Murphy will now be condemned as anti West Ham.

Shame Millwall have taken the "No one likes us" song...
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Happyhammer52 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:58 am Wouldn't say that's the case at all. He has regularly defended fans on Talksport when White has been having a go. On numerous occasions he's stated support for previous marches.
Fair play.

Maybe I just haven't heard/watched his punditry where he's been very complimentary of us.