Romford (Chas Chandler)

A Forum in which to remember those KUMB members and other West Ham United family who have sadly left us.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Daytonahammer
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Romford

Post by Daytonahammer »

Sawbo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:38 pm Bill Gardner is raising money for Chas's family to help with funeral costs etc and has asked me to pass on that he will be collecting in the supporters club Thursday and at Spurs Sunday.
He has already raised £185 since Sunday, so a big 👏 to those that have already contributed.
Perfect mate, how do we get the link tothat?
Sawbo
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Sawbo »

do they have a Go Fund Me type of page or something that those of us outside the UK can contribute mate ?

would be sure that they'd find a decent amount contributed if we could use something like Pay Pal or similar to get funds over

cheers
[/quote]

I'll ask him
Sawbo

Post by Sawbo »

Spoke to Bill and he, like me, hasn't the foggiest idea how to do the gofundme thing.
Will ask if one of the more tech savvy bods wants to do that. Maybe someone on here?
Mullhull
Has liked: 348 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Sawbo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:32 pm Spoke to Bill and he, like me, hasn't the foggiest idea how to do the gofundme thing.
Will ask if one of the more tech savvy bods wants to do that. Maybe someone on here?
Get someone from here possibly one of the mods to assist with that or UTJ etc. More trustworthy to do that.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Sawbo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:32 pm Spoke to Bill and he, like me, hasn't the foggiest idea how to do the gofundme thing.
There was one set up for him, when the news of the illness first arrived. Surely they can re-purpose that one?
East Sussex Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by East Sussex Hammer »

So Sad RIP Romford.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

I've been contacted by a work colleague of Luke's. They will be setting up a just giving or go fund me type thing.

I will forward the details on as soon as they become available.

G.
carnage
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 705 likes

Post by carnage »

The first trip he organised for me I landed at Stanstead at about 1am. Within 5 minutes of me turning my phone on Romford was on checking if I’d had a good trip and got back ok which was a lovely touch.

RIP
StokeIrons
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StokeIrons »

Rest in peace Big Chas :crest:
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Rest in glorious peace Romford.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: Romford (New Just Giving Link in 1st Post).

Post by Upton Carp »

I never met the man, but I feel I know him through his lifelong association with WHUFC and more to the point with KUMB. I can see what a larger than life character he must have been, and I guess many long time KUMBers will feel a deeper sense of loss than myself. All I can say is that the pages of comments on here speak volumes for the man.

I hope he is now resting easy. RIP, Chas. :kumbnew:
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by chalks »

I met Chas around 23-24 years ago after initially chatting to him on here.

I was just a part of what was a fairly small forum at the time, we didnt know each other at all. Chas had a spare ticket for a home game and told me all I needed to do was buy him a pint as payment. So off I went one Saturday morning to a pub called The Wakefield. I'd never heard of it and to be honest was a little reluctant to walk in as I arrived. I didnt know anyone, and how the f*** was I going to find him in a packed West Ham boozer?

I walked in and it literally took all of about 5 seconds before this booming voice said something like 'Here he is'. Chas was sat at a table with 4-5 of his pals. Pint ready for me, plus ticket. He wouldnt let me buy him a drink, and kept me watered and fed for an hour or so before we went to the game.

We became firm friends over the years and kept in touch right up until his final days. Chas was comfortably one of the most genuine blokes I've ever known. Its a massive cliche but I swear to God that he really would do anything to help his fellow West Ham supporters. he's done impromptu whip rounds in pubs when he's heard someone has fallen on hard times and always always made sure people were ok if they were in his company

I'll always regret not going on one of his trips abroad, I know they were always very very special. I was lucky enough to enjoy Chas company on many UK away trips though, and have some really fond memories. Sunderland away in the club with the live radio feed being one of them. We were all staying in Newcastle and on the Friday night had gone to a nightclub. The music was via the local Radio station so was a live feed. A couple of the chaps had been requesting 'twist and shout' for 'the West Ham lot', but the dj had been saying it would cause trouble. About an hour goes by and we saw Chas up talking to the DJ. All of a sudden this message comes over the tannoy saying 'and a Happy Birthday to a Mr Clyde Best, who's here this evening and lives in the Newcastle area' All of a sudden Twist and Shout comes on and the place erupts. What we'd thought was a club with a handful of about 15 West Ham in it was actually a club with around 100 of us. Only Chas could get away with it. The singing all started then. We had bubbles, Ludo, Paolo, twist & shout all being sung. It ended up being an amazing night out.

Chas sorted my older brother a last minute ticket to the Palace Play off final when he was on leave from a tour of either Iraq or Afghanistan and if memory serves me rightly, let him get his nut down for the night at his hotel in Cardiff. He also made sure my boys would always have a couple of quid in there pockets when he'd see them in either the Wakefield or, after it had closed down, the Working Man's Club.

Also remember a Sunday morning game we had at home to Millwall. All pubs were closed in the local area, for obvious reasons. Chas as always managed to sort something. I was with Gnome if memory serves me right, and all we had was a text message with an address and directions. It said something like 'round the back, through the gate, knock 3 times'. It was more than a little dodgy, and neither of us knew what to expect. We got there, knocked, went through and found ourselves in a nightclub that had been completely taken over by about 150 West Ham. Every single one in there because of Chas

A very very funny memory is this one, it always makes me smile. about 3 years ago I changed my phone, so having a new number meant most didnt have it. I hadnt spoken to chas for a while, we had that type of friendship. Could go a year without a dicky bird, then have a right old natter. Anyway, I was at a home game and could see him a couple of blocks away, so sent him a message saying something along the lines of 'hello mate, looking well x'. I got a very friendly reply 'thanks, you look good yourself x' He'd obviously looked at the profile picture I had on my phone. We chatted for a bit, he was in great form. Offering me tickets to any away game I fancied etc etc. Was typical of him but I remember thinking 'f*** me he's being very friendly'.

About two days later I get a message from him saying 'Hi, really sorry but I'm going to have to confess that I dont actually know who this is, I've been looking at your profile picture and as pretty as you are, I have no idea who it is'.

It was at that point I remembered that I had a picture of Mrs Chalks as my profile. So my reply was 'its chalks you soppy sod'.

Within a minute I get a reply saying 'oh you **** I thought it was a doris' :crylol:

When Chas got his diagnosis last year, he called me to break the news as he didnt want me to find out through anyone else. His first words were 'my lucks finally run out Chalks'. He held it together and honestly made it sound almost trivial. 'It is what it is' etc etc. What stood out more than anything though was that his main concern wasnt for himself, it was for his immediate family and friends. He wanted everyone to be alright.

I think that's how I'll remember Chas to be honest. He always wanted to make sure everyone was alright

RIP to one of life's proper gentlemen. :heart: :hamm:
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

Gnome wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:50 pm I now have the fundraising link:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... =egGzPGRAa
Well done mate...cheers
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Lovely words chalks
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:58 am We did TV together (for Sky Sports)
That link shouldn't slip under the radar.

He was right about us not going down!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Vic_Watson wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:16 pm He was right about us not going down!
He absolutely was, Vic. Romford and Eggert Magnusson!
Sawbo

Post by Sawbo »

Lovely words Chalks.
You're right, Chas would always do what he can to help a Hammer out.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Wonderful anecdote Mr. Chalker.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Lovely post Chalks beautiful eulogy xx