Romford (Chas Chandler)

A Forum in which to remember those KUMB members and other West Ham United family who have sadly left us.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1144 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Re: Romford (New Just Giving Link in 1st Post).

Post by Metal Hammer »

As someone who only knew Chas as a moderator on KUMB the tributes from those who knew him have been both moving and fantastic in portraying the man behind the keyboard :newthumb:
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 260 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

The amount raised has doubled since this morning, which is fantastic.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Lovely post chalks

Think we should have a rememberance end of season boat party for him.
Sergei
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by Sergei »

Great post Chalks.

Rest in Peace Chas :crest:
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by Big George »

Excellent tribute Chalks, captures the spirit of him (and you).
chalks wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:13 pm Chas as always managed to sort something.
..... and never a truer word spoken.
Marky
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Marky »

Lovely post Chalks
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

RIP Romford

Absolutely brilliant post Chalks
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Nice post Chalks.
Believer
Has liked: 1391 likes
Total likes: 727 likes

Post by Believer »

chalks wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:13 pm

RIP to one of life's proper gentlemen. :heart: :hamm:
Lovely tribute Chalks 👍
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:08 am The amount raised has doubled since this morning, which is fantastic.
I just donated and it's almost reached the target already, I have no doubt it will exceed that and deservedly so.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

To lighten the mood I’m going to relay a comical tale involving Chas,

This was 19 years ago, my memory is pretty good , but I was completely mangled this day as vodka was not the wisest of choices, that day at stupid o'clock in the morning

We were away at Watford 2003 , it was the day of the Rugby World Cup final and during the week before , I’d managed to find a pub called the Verulam Arms pub in Watford , I had agreed to strict rules of entry , they would open the doors at 7 and close them at 7.30 in the morning and if you were in you could watch the rugby if not it was a closed pub, and was told you can’t bring loads of lads along just a few, so it was just Chas’s crowd and ours , and he had all the info, so it was capable of going like clockwork or bandy

Chas was late with a few others like Richie etc, after a lot of pleading with the landlord to let them in he reluctantly agreed to open an old Crittall style window about 4 foot high and 15 inches wide and they could go in the car park at the back and climb through the window , the lads went round the back and started coming through,

Now if you are familiar with Chas, even a combination of Paul Daniels , Harry Potter and Jonjo Shelvey wouldn’t conjure up a spell to make that work , but...

All I can hear is Chas shouting about ‘some saucy b*stard thinking it will be funny to see me go through that poxy window ‘ , The landlord wouldn’t change his rules and open a door, Chas took off his trench coat and limbered up and went for it, unbelievably negotiating it without a mark on his Italian designer shirt , chinos or loafers , he'd have snagged his socks in the window hook had he been wearing any for sure !!!

Once in he was not a happy bunny and for at least half an hour was complaining about the pub access , a big hug with the bar staff eventually sorted things out, the cider flowed , and England won the world Cup , turned out to be a cracking day

Then west ham united played out the dullest 0 0 draw in torrential rain to bring us back to earth

Wonderful day , with a great group of people , the locals were top drawer company , and a memory along with many other ones with Chas not to be forgotten

RIP Chas :heart: :crest:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

That's when the rain was coming into the stand horizontally and we all bunched up together to get out of it. The stewards kept shouting at us to get to our seats, to which the majority of us were telling them to f*** off, including Mr Chandler.

I also seen to remember that boozer's cellar door was actually in the bar and nearly claimed a fair few pissed up victims - myself included.

Happy Days.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I just remembered another memorable away days.

FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park. Being less than organised we rocked up into Brum New St on a Sunday lunchtime. No pubs would let us in due to being West Ham, so we got a fleet of cabs and told the driver to take us towards Villa Park and we would stop at the first boozer, which he obliged.

This pub, which was also a Thai restaurant was full to the rafters with West Ham. Low and behold, Chas had hired the function room, with DJ and full on Thai buffet. Despite rocking up by chance, chas was his usual self - more the merrier etc.
Phil S
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:57 am

This pub, which was also a Thai restaurant was full to the rafters with West Ham. Low and behold, Chas had hired the function room, with DJ and full on Thai buffet. Despite rocking up by chance, chas was his usual self - more the merrier etc.
The Barton arms
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by chalks »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:57 am I just remembered another memorable away days.

FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park. Being less than organised we rocked up into Brum New St on a Sunday lunchtime. No pubs would let us in due to being West Ham, so we got a fleet of cabs and told the driver to take us towards Villa Park and we would stop at the first boozer, which he obliged.

What an afternoon that was. Chas used to do all these things and not once, not ever, did he do anything for his own gain. Someone else said in a post that he was often left out of pocket
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by chalks »

Just thought of another very funny story

(not so funny at the time)

Gillingham away on a nice summers day about 20 years ago. I didnt have a ticket but he insisted he'd get me in and that he had a plan..........

So off I trot, meeting him and a few others in a pub in Gravesend at around 11am. I kept reminding him I needed a ticket, he kept saying 'dont worry, I'm getting you in'.

We get close to the ground around 1.30 and go in a boozer full of West Ham. If you know the Gillingham ground, its surrounded by terraced houses and the old bill close off the streets, wanting to see tickets before letting you through.

1440 and we leave the pub. I still havent got a ticket.

Chas comes round the corner with a ****ing WHEELCHAIR and says 'Chalks, get on this you are going in the disabled section'.

He pushes me round the corner, and as we try to get past the police and blocked off road, he shows his ticket and says he's taking me in.

'Sorry mate' says the Officer. 'i've just seen you walk out of that pub on the corner. You aint going anywhere mate' :crylol:

I had to watch the game back in the pub on a dodgy link. We lost 2-0 and Chas came into the pub after saying 'I tried chalks, I tried' :rofl:
S-H
Has liked: 5725 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

Brilliant, chalks!

:D
brooking10
Total likes: 1 like

Post by brooking10 »

RIP Romford, he was always an interesting poster on here, and great to read some of the stories about him. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Another great story Chalks.

Maybe if you'd both put on Scouse accents, you may have got away with it.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4958 likes

Post by -DL- »

chalks wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:01 pm Just thought of another very funny story

(not so funny at the time)

Gillingham away on a nice summers day about 20 years ago. I didnt have a ticket but he insisted he'd get me in and that he had a plan..........
Well f*** me, our paths must have crossed before KUMB.

You came out of The Fluer de Lis on the corner didn't you? The copper that stopped you was a right gobby twat, and me and a couple of mates were pissing ourselves behind you 🤣

Can't remember exactly what you said to us but it was said with utter resignation 😁