West Ham Utd 3-3 Arsenal (20/03/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Arsenal: match thread

Post by BondsoBob »

I was one of those who thought we would lose, so on one hand I'm happy with a draw. But on the other hand drawing after being 3 up feels like a loss, so I'm still p@@@@d off. Headbanger
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Hindsight of course, but at half time Moyes had to make one sub at least and kill off the attacks down the wing.
2 wing backs and condense everything in to the middle of the park wins you the game.

Unfortunately part of the deal with Moyes is that you get a manager who cant change a game plan sufficiently enough throughout a match.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It's possible that Antonio has been told to manage his game better to look after those hamstrings. I also think he may have been told to stay up the pitch and not track back too far.

Rather than being lazy, he may simply be following instructions.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Woke up feeling like we lost :lol:

Trying to find positives but no hiding from the fact that giving up a 3-0 lead is gutting.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Believer wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:29 pm I think we are being overly harsh on a lot of players. We have in the most part soldiered on this season with a core of around 15 or 16 players. To be sitting 5th is quite frankly unbelievable.

I’m sure Arteta is patting himself on the back about his point today but when you’re calling up a £70m sub to bring on and the opposition are bringing on a 34 year old whose better years are behind him, you’ve kind of got it a lot easier.

They spent more on Pepe and Partey than we spent on our whole first 11 today. Let that sink in.

Had Masuaku, Fornals and Ogbonna been available today we win that.
These are good points. We sometimes get a bit ahead of ourselves. I did look at their subs warming up, Ceballos, Smith Rowe, Pepe, and I thought, hmm, Noble? Balbuenna? Fredericks? Throw on one of our youngsters? It's not quite the same is it?

As much as I love Antonio, They've got Aubamayang and Lacazette up front and can afford to bring one off for another hot prospect up front, Martinelli. Oh to have these options.

It will be a while before I get over giving up a 3-0 lead but being realistic, we're still punching above our weight with not necessarily our first 11, but certainly our squad.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Day after and I still think it was a cracking game. People want us to have a go and produce free flowing football and that's what you get. Some of our best games this year have been against the, so called, top 6 sides and we have let 3 goals in. I think it just shows the level we are really at. Its not a complaint, just a reality check. We are good enough (mostly) to keep the goals down against the other 11 teams and with goals in the side we are always going to give ourselves a chance of winning. Against real quality though we do struggle and its little wonder Moyes often reverts to a more cautious approach. However, lets enjoy the ride and hope that we come back 'defensively' stronger next season.

PS. Still looking for that Bowen hand ball?
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

I think they wouid have beat us if diop didn't clear that off the line they done to us in the last 10 off 1st halfand first 20 min of second half what we done to them in 1st 35min, as a team we look tired yet them and the mancs have all played more games than us because they have bigger squads and where does the blame lie there ( ours are not all injured ) 🙈
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

We battered them for 25 -30 minutes and then tried to hold on to it for an hour. I wouldn’t have brought Benranma off as he was starting to create chances and I would’ve put Lanzini on but hey, Moysey has almost 1000 PL games under his belt so what do I know ?
Antonio is at his best when the attacking 3 midfielders are creating space for him but when they drop off he gets a little isolated and it becomes easier for their CBs.
Dawson and Diop weren’t brilliant but we’ve coped better without Ogbonna than I thought we would. Cresswell got overrun. Bowen goes to ground a bit too easily. The break has come at the right time as we can get a few players back.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

To think that is the 5th time I have seen West Ham throw away a game when 3-0 up ,the proper West Ham Way .
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Imo Benrahma was the weak link. Not the only reason we threw away a 3 goal lead of course but a bloody significant one. Calum Chambers looked like Cafu tearing it up down the right side. Bowen does more than his fair share of defensive covering but Benrahma seems to think it's not part of his remit. Had he been fit Fornals would almost certainly have been down our left side which would have limited Chambers' effectiveness.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Had time to reflect on yesterday.

We were outstanding in that first 30 minutes,no doubt about it.I thought we may get 5 before HT and should have done just that.Then we resorted to sitting back and defending.I still don't understand why we go in to this mode,but we do.

Let`s be honest,whatever their position,Arsenal have an outstanding talent of players and to me are the biggest under achievers in the PL this season,but are beginning now to tick.Their form since Christmas has been really good and they would actually be 4th on that form

The majority of that bench would probably make our first XI.That Odegaard was outstanding for them.Their squad is better than Spurs in my opinion.

So putting things into perspective, we can't really knock getting the point,though I still think the tactics cost us in the end,but our weak bench didn`t help,while Arsenal's did.
Last edited by Tezza65 on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

I think the right move yesterday would've been to take Antonio off, and leave Lingard up top as he offers very little defensively, yet has the legs to buzz around and chase everything, which Antonio does not.
Carlton Di Cottee
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Carlton Di Cottee »

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:12 am Bit unlucky in the circumstances but not the result. Draw was fair.
1) Their goals came a very psychologically damaging times. Kept the momentum with them and us in a state of panic.
Staying at 2-0 is much better than quickly conceding to make it 3-1. Massive lift for them.

2) Ref didn't do us any favours. Very poor.
Especially when we had broken away.

3) Hit the post, one almost off the line. We had some real chances even in the second half.

4) Really poor bench. It's really shown last 4 weeks.

5) We got rinsed down our left. Johnson should have come on at 60 mins and 3-1.

6) Jekyll and Hyde from Arsenal. Terrible 30 mins but when they had nothing to loose where really dangerous with some very good players. On their day, very team.

At 3-2 on 65 mins I thought we would loose.
Have 2 weeks to get a few players back.
Hopefully the international week will be kind.
Spot on.

Id add that i was really disapointed with Bowen. Dived in the first half in a great position to shoot and his dive in the second half cost us a goal. Diving doesnt suit us and doesnt work either.

Ref was awful though, didnt spot any of their dives. Text a gooner mate after the game and his unprompted reply was 'moss loves the arse'.
Carlton Di Cottee
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Carlton Di Cottee »

*doesnt work for us.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Kermit wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:11 am Imo Benrahma was the weak link. Not the only reason we threw away a 3 goal lead of course but a bloody significant one. Calum Chambers looked like Cafu tearing it up down the right side. Bowen does more than his fair share of defensive covering but Benrahma seems to think it's not part of his remit. Had he been fit Fornals would almost certainly have been down our left side which would have limited Chambers' effectiveness.
and we probably wouldn't have been 3-0 in the first place
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:42 am and we probably wouldn't have been 3-0 in the first place
Imagine if Payet was judged on his tracking back, and defensive displays.

You don't buy a sports car, to then take it off-roading.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

BondsoBob wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:21 am It's quite staggering how many Hammers that I have spoken to have said that even at 3-0 up they didn't feel entirely comfortable, and at 3-1 we all had tha same feeling of dread.
Just before Arsenal scored I was saying if we got to half time without them scoring I would be more confident, that goal gave Arsenal the confidence to build on in the second half. I'm amazed that Moyes couldn't see the danger on our left or, if he did, didn't move to counter it.
Aitch
Has liked: 11 likes

Post by Aitch »

Ethanadict wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:32 am These are good points. We sometimes get a bit ahead of ourselves. I did look at their subs warming up, Ceballos, Smith Rowe, Pepe, and I thought, hmm, Noble? Balbuenna? Fredericks? Throw on one of our youngsters? It's not quite the same is it?

As much as I love Antonio, They've got Aubamayang and Lacazette up front and can afford to bring one off for another hot prospect up front, Martinelli. Oh to have these options.

It will be a while before I get over giving up a 3-0 lead but being realistic, we're still punching above our weight with not necessarily our first 11, but certainly our squad.
Sounds like you need counselling like the Spuds fans, ring 0800 313233. :lol:
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Kermit wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:11 am Imo Benrahma was the weak link. Not the only reason we threw away a 3 goal lead of course but a bloody significant one. Calum Chambers looked like Cafu tearing it up down the right side. Bowen does more than his fair share of defensive covering but Benrahma seems to think it's not part of his remit. Had he been fit Fornals would almost certainly have been down our left side which would have limited Chambers' effectiveness.
Yet for the second goal Chambers ran straight past a slumbering, fatigued Antonio who was on the left at this point, and for the third, Lingard was on the left. Even for the first you could say Rice and Cresswell should have done much more. Cresswell is a weak link when playing in a back 4, which is a shame as on the front foot he is very good.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:12 am
2) Ref didn't do us any favours. Very poor.
Especially when we had broken away.

Wasn't Moss the muppet on VAR at Palace whom invented Soucek's violent elbow to prompt Dean to send him off? He has been poor for a few years and only confirmed it yesterday.