America - Guns & Mass Shootings

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: The Latest Mass Shooting In America

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

The only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1646 likes

Post by last.caress »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:31 pm When a sensible American poster admits that, you kind of know that Americans deserve everything they get.

A six year old firing a gun? Whether at at tree or a teacher, what a f*cked up country.
It's a bit like getting the eggs back out of a cake at this point though, isn't it Pete? I abhor America's collective obsession with gun ownership and their perceived "right" to blow one anothers' heads off and the way they murder each other in their thousands whilst simultaneously insisting that guns are the only way to stay safe. It's truly mindbending. BUT, if I moved there tomorrow morning, I'd be front and center at Larry's Shootin' Shack first thing tomorrow afternoon, and I'd own a handgun and probably a rifle too by the middle of next week. They've ****ed it all up for sure but I wouldn't want to be the only muppet on the block without the means to protect my property and my family with the lethal force required to deter crooks over there (despite it not seeming to deter anyone, of course). So, I would become part of the problem as soon as I got there.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 493 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Yep. They've created a monster and no way to get rid of it. Catch-22.

"But Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way."

"Then" said Yossarian, "I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?"
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Dave Hedgehog wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:24 am The only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun.
That's right
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:31 pm When a sensible American poster admits that, you kind of know that Americans deserve everything they get.

A six year old firing a gun? Whether at at tree or a teacher, what a f*cked up country.
Fwiw, we lived in Mexico at the time. I was more Mexican than American, which immediately makes me think about this...

Apologies to all, after the fact.

Getting back to it, just to explain, because I'm not sure my shooting a tree as a kid should necessarily have had the butterfly effect leading to all school shootings stateside since. While living in Mexico ('70 to '72ish) we formed a friendship with a dude who was a bonafide Charro, a Mexican cowboy/rodeo star. He carried a .32 SW at all times. It was a tool of his trade. He purchased the little .22 for my Dad. He bought it as a gift in order for my Dad to protect our home. He suggested we might need it as expat neighborhoods were regularly targeted. Occasionally he would take us on overnight horseback rides into the country side, which was obviously an incredible thing to do when you're a kid. Out in the boonies sometimes we'd set up empty cans in an arroyo and we'd shoot at them. That was the only time that .22 would make an appearance. My Dad hid the gun at home and unfortunately once when going through his stuff, I found it. With immense ignorance I loaded a bullet and shot at the poor tree. Not sure how, but my Dad figured out I'd done this, and he got rid of the gun the same day. He never acquired another. and I've never acquired one and certainly haven't shot one in the 52 years since.
Last edited by WCpete on Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

last.caress wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:10 am It's a bit like getting the eggs back out of a cake at this point though, isn't it Pete? I abhor America's collective obsession with gun ownership and their perceived "right" to blow one anothers' heads off and the way they murder each other in their thousands whilst simultaneously insisting that guns are the only way to stay safe. It's truly mindbending. BUT, if I moved there tomorrow morning, I'd be front and center at Larry's Shootin' Shack first thing tomorrow afternoon, and I'd own a handgun and probably a rifle too by the middle of next week. They've ****ed it all up for sure but I wouldn't want to be the only muppet on the block without the means to protect my property and my family with the lethal force required to deter crooks over there (despite it not seeming to deter anyone, of course). So, I would become part of the problem as soon as I got there.
I mean, you don't have to move to Arizona do you?
Shabu
Has liked: 4187 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:17 pm Fwiw, we lived in Mexico at the time. I was more Mexican than American, which immediately makes me think about this...
I pictured it happening in Manhatton :lol:

Where did you live in Mexico?
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:40 am I pictured it happening in Manhatton :lol:

Where did you live in Mexico?
Mexico City. I’ve actually never lived in NYC. Lived in the burbs outside of NYC when I was in NY.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

last.caress wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:10 am IBUT, if I moved there tomorrow morning,
Etc.
Ffs Elsie you're chucking the baby out with the bathwater (Tenpole Tudor 1982) there. I mean a principle is a principle and you'd succumb to local values?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:27 am Mexico City. I’ve actually never lived in NYC. Lived in the burbs outside of NYC when I was in NY.
Oh OK. You mentioned being in New York when trump was there so I just assumed.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:52 pm Oh OK. You mentioned being in New York when trump was there so I just assumed.
I spent a lot of time the Harlem Valley commuter line and a lot of time in the city. The don was ever present in the tri state area anyhow. And most of Westchester County, where I lived, is essentially an extension of NYC.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Six year old shooter's bag was searched before shooting
A staff member at the Virginia school where a six-year-old boy allegedly shot his teacher last week had been alerted before the shooting that the child may have had a weapon, an official said.

The boy's bag was searched, but no weapon was found, Richneck Elementary school superintendent George Parker told parents.

First-grade teacher Abigail Zwerner was left with serious injuries after police say the boy shot her "intentionally".

Police said he used his mother's gun.

The shooting has rocked the town of Newport News and raised questions about what legal ramifications the young boy could face for carrying out the shooting.

Police determined through an interview with the child's mother that the gun was bought legally and stored in their home.

The shooting happened without warning, and with no fight or physical struggle, police said.

Newport News police chief Steve Drew said the child fired one round at his teacher. He added that the "shooting was not accidental, it was intentional", and that it took place while Ms Zwerner was giving a lesson.

more...
Hopefully the mother will do serious jail time.

But I doubt it.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

When I was about six I remember our teacher, Mrs Kent, who lived in Kent (Sevenoaks to be exact), brought in a coconut & we all passed this hairy little ball around the classroom in awe.

I wonder if these kids will remember the day a classmate shot their teacher for no reason whatsoever.
Plashet Grove Pete

Tezza65
Has liked: 1943 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

It's not even worth writing about.

Every week,it's the same story.Until they have a massive rethink of their gun laws,it'll just carry on.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Now here's what will happen.

Pro gun people will say "California has strict gun laws and that didn't prevent this mass shooting"

Conveniently forgetting that you can easily drive into California with anything in your car.
Plashet Grove Pete

Shabu wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:17 pm Now here's what will happen.

Pro gun people will say "California has strict gun laws and that didn't prevent this mass shooting"

Conveniently forgetting that you can easily drive into California with anything in your car.
But that's wrong. California doesn't have strict gun laws. Not by the standards of normal countries. Compared to the civilised world, it's still a free for all out there. It's only strict when compared to the rest of the rootin' tootin' US of A, where six year old tote guns.

Americans thinking California has strict gun laws? Hilarious, and they deserve all they get. :crylol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:30 pm But that's wrong. California doesn't have strict gun laws. Not by the standards of normal countries. Compared to the civilised world, it's still a free for all out there. It's only strict when compared to the rest of the rootin' tootin' US of A, where six year old tote guns.

Americans thinking California has strict gun laws? Hilarious, and they deserve all they get. :crylol:
Also true. Compared to western Europe California doesn't have strict gun laws but many Americans don't know that.

I've been told that if Europe allowed guns they wouldn't be overrun with Muslim terrorists.

That's genuinely a way of thinking for many over here
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

A country containing people who genuinely believe you are being irresponsible if you’re not carrying a firearm.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

This is Ken Buck, Republican politician. After the school mass shooting in Texas last year he said that people need AR15s to kill raccoons.

That's right, 21 beautiful children slaughtered in school in horrific circumstances & he says "yeah, but what about the raccoons".

Imagine if after Dumblane some Tory got up & said "we need more guns to shoot badgers. Kids are just expendable"

https://news.yahoo.com/rep-ken-buck-can ... 02188.html