America - Guns & Mass Shootings

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Re: The Latest Mass Shooting In America

Post by Shabu »

Heart wrenching testimony from a 10 year old girl. She'll never be the same again. She should bethinking about kids stuff, not terrified of gunmen at her school. She's seen more than most soldiers.

And it's bizarre that the pro gun crowd are saying the gun control crowd don't want kids to be safe at school. That's their narrative. "Liberals don't want safety in schools. They want to ban AR15s"

This is not a civilised country. Civilised countries treat children better than this.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amid-gu ... d=85236966
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I've been to America a few times and always enjoyed it and always found the people, on an individual basis at least, to be warm and friendly.

I've always fancied going all round the country one day, maybe when I'm retired, a proper road trip but recently I've decided I don't want to do that anymore. Every country has its nutters, every country has a certain amount of people who believe things that I can't get my head around. But they tend to be a minority and I can live with that. But recently the things I've seen in America and seeing what normal Americans believe about stuff like abortion and guy control means when it comes to my Great American road trip, I just think "naah, f*** that".
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:17 pm I've been to America a few times and always enjoyed it and always found the people, on an individual basis at least, to be warm and friendly.

I've always fancied going all round the country one day, maybe when I'm retired, a proper road trip but recently I've decided I don't want to do that anymore. Every country has its nutters, every country has a certain amount of people who believe things that I can't get my head around. But they tend to be a minority and I can live with that. But recently the things I've seen in America and seeing what normal Americans believe about stuff like abortion and guy control means when it comes to my Great American road trip, I just think "naah, **** that".
I'm in the same boat.
I was planning a big 50th drive down the west coast.
But have been seriously thinking that I won't bother.
I've always said the country is still effectively stuck in the mid-late 19th century in many, many ways.
But over the years recently, in some aspects, it is morphing into Afghanistan, Iran or some such. The irony of which will completely pass 99% of Americans by.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

Also if another country or some terrorist group was to shoot say 20 Americans the yanks would definitely get some kind of revenge
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

taust68 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:48 pm Also if another country or some terrorist group was to shoot say 20 Americans the yanks would definitely get some kind of revenge
Well if you look at the last two major mass shootings the victims were mainly Black or Hispanic so there's a chunk of America that really won't care that much.

If it was 19 little blond blue eyed kids name Smith, Johnson & Jones you might see a different response. And that might be to say it was fake (Sandy Hook) or just act kike it was over the border, which Uvalde might as well be to middle America.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

"On Thursday a group of more than 220 CEOs from some of the biggest brands in the US sent a joint letter to the Senate in which they lamented what they called the “public health crisis” of gun violence. “We urge the Senate to take immediate action … Transcend partisanship and work together to pass bold legislation to address gun violence in our country,” the letter said.

Chip Bergh, CEO of Levi Strauss, said in a statement that it was time for senators to act. “Inaction on federal legislation has made gun violence a uniquely American problem,” he said".

Much like their "Sports", another field where America leads the World.

Go USA!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

US House passes gun bill doomed to fail in senate
The US House of Representatives has voted through a series of measures regulating the sale of guns, but which are destined to fail in the Senate.

The new measures would bar sales of semiautomatic weapons to people under 21 and ban large-capacity magazines.

But Republican opposition in the Senate means the bill has little chance of entering law, despite a renewed focus on gun control in the wake of a series of mass shootings in the US.

But House Republicans claimed the bill was an attack on citizens' constitutional rights to own a firearm.

"The speaker started by saying this bill is about protecting our kids," Ohio Republican Jim Jordan said. "But this bill doesn't do it. What this bill does is take away second amendment rights, God-given rights, protected by our Constitution from law-abiding American citizens."

more...
You can probably guess the rest of the article. Sadly.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:14 pm Ohio Republican Jim Jordan said....

"What this bill does is take away second amendment rights, God-given rights"
Where did god say that Americans need to let 18 year old mentally ill kids buy AR15s & other machine guns :lol:

Was that the 11th commandment?
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Yesterday Mitch McConell stood before Congress and demanded that House members approve legislation that would boost protection for Supreme Court justices and he demanded that it be done “before the sun sets today”. This after an armed man was arrested a few blocks from Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s home. He and his Senator friends won't entertain any discussion on background checks and changing the legal age to purchase a semi automatic rifle, or bans on military style weapons, however, because, well.... what's a few kids here and there compared to his God given right to receive a big paycheck.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:32 pm
4 dead. Extreme language warning:

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

WCpete wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:41 pm Yesterday Mitch McConell stood before Congress and demanded that House members approve legislation that would boost protection for Supreme Court justices and he demanded that it be done “before the sun sets today”. This after an armed man was arrested a few blocks from Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s home. He and his Senator friends won't entertain any discussion on background checks and changing the legal age to purchase a semi automatic rifle, or bans on military style weapons, however, because, well.... what's a few kids here and there compared to his God given right to receive a big paycheck.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

What reason did o'connell give for not shaking his hand?
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Depends who you ask. Kavanaugh said he thought Guttenberg was a protestor so he ghosted him. Guttenberg says he explained who he was and just wanted to introduce himself and say something like 'we're both fathers, I want to know that you'd understand what it's like to feel the pain of losing a child.' He claims that Kavanaugh heard him and walked away.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cross-party group of senators agrees limited safety measures
A cross-party group of US senators say they have agreed a framework for potential legislation on gun safety.

The measures would include support for tougher background checks for buyers under the age of 21 and cracking down on illegal gun purchases.

Crucially, the proposals are supported by 10 Republicans, meaning they have the numbers to be voted into law.

President Biden said the plans were "steps in the right direction" but they fall far short of what he called for.

The senators also called for increased investment in mental health services and school safety resources, as well as including domestic violence convictions and restraining orders in the national background check database for people buying firearms.

more...
It's a start, for which we should be thankful.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

Goddam commie bastards. Ain't no pinko takin my AR15 boy! :fingerr:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Denbighammer wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:17 pm Goddam commie bastards. Ain't no pinko takin my AR15 boy! :fingerr:
Bloody right, mate. You'll be over run with raccoons and bunny rabbits before you know it...
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Shabu wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:32 pm Bloody right, mate. You'll be over run with raccoons and bunny rabbits before you know it...
M'lud, i give you.....
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I don't think these new amazing laws actually change anything.

It's just showponery so Democrats & Republicans in swing States can point to the undecided voters & say "LOOK, I get things done across the ****ing aisle"

Angry 18 year olds (do you remember how completely f*cking stupid you were at that age?) can still buy weapons of a higher grade than half the countries* armies in the world.

This c*nt in Uvalde bought his killing material on credit. He didn't even pay for it. They gave it to him for a $100 deposit.

* - did I spell countries wrong?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

They will actually believe any old ***** presented to them rather than accept that guns are responsible for Americas high murder rate.