America - Guns & Mass Shootings

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Re: The Latest Mass Shooting In America

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

This is incredible:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... un-control

A Republican congressman has expressed some element of support for very limited gun control measures and has effectively been forced to stand down from seeking re-election because of the backlash.

The US of A (copyright greatest country in the World, land of the free, copperplate, copperplate) deserves to suffer the mother of all massacres to make their idiotic politicians at least to have some sort of second thoughts.

They think God is on their side. A mass extermination by some slack jacked assault rifle totin' right wing God fearin' Christian revivalist might at least convince one or two of them to try to see another way.

But I doubt it.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:00 pm This is incredible:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... un-control

A Republican congressman has expressed some element of support for very limited gun control measures and has effectively been forced to stand down from seeking re-election because of the backlash.

The US of A (copyright greatest country in the World, land of the free, copperplate, copperplate) deserves to suffer the mother of all massacres to make their idiotic politicians at least to have some sort of second thoughts.

They think God is on their side. A mass extermination by some slack jacked assault rifle totin' right wing God fearin' Christian revivalist might at least convince one or two of them to try to see another way.

But I doubt it.
Bloody hell, he didn't even say he wanted to ban any guns. Just access to AR15s for under 21s & access to body armour.

He got hit by a tweet slagging him off from trump - which no doubt earnt trump a few million in donations for being 'strong' and steps away from his own party.

Republicans are losing more & more of the sensible moderates & getting more & more people like that Majorie woman claiming to be christian.

Of course, you could easily say the same/opposite of the Democrats. All about being the squeaky wheel now.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

“This is not the person we endorsed. We did not endorse this Chris Jacobs … he’s actually to the left of [US House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi on this,”

Ban automatic rifles = left wing
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:01 am
p.s. this christian woman in the video is the one that cheats on her husband with blokes at the gym, isn't she?
multiple times with multiple people.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:47 pm multiple times with multiple people.
Proper old testament then :lol:
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

The Republitaliban Party
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:22 pm “This is not the person we endorsed. We did not endorse this Chris Jacobs … he’s actually to the left of [US House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi on this,”

Ban automatic rifles = left wing
Unfortunately, this is what prevents the issue from being approached singularly and rationally. Pro or anti gun control is mixed in with everything else various parties represent, or more precisely hate about the other party.
Brexit was similar (said this earlier)
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Since Columbine, over 300,000 children have experienced gun violence in school. Staggering statistic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -database/
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

US men's national team wear orange armbands in support of tighter gun control
The United States' men's national team wore orange armbands in support of tighter gun control during Sunday's 0-0 draw with Uruguay.

It came after the team sent a letter

to Congress calling for "stronger gun laws" following several mass shootings in the country in recent weeks.

The US House of Representatives is expected to vote on gun control legislation in the coming days.

more, worth reading...
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:22 pm Since Columbine, over 300,000 children have experienced gun violence in school. Staggering statistic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -database/
But it's Critical Race Theory we have to worry about.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:00 pm They think God is on their side. A mass extermination by some slack jacked assault rifle totin' right wing God fearin' Christian revivalist might at least convince one or two of them to try to see another way.
The trouble is, a lot of what I've seen online from right wing Americans has dismissed Uvalde as either a CIA set up job, because they're questioning how the kid could afford all of that expensive weaponry, or either as a straight hoax perpetrated by an actor.

The other thing I've seen a lot of is them saying that these things only happen at "gun free" places like schools or shops, and so the clear answer is more guns, metal detectors and security guards at all schools etc.

They'll believe what they want to believe because their guns make them feel safe, secure and powerful, and they don't care how many of other people's kids need to die to maintain that. So many parts of the USA are so lawless that they honestly believe if they didnt have a gun someone would break into their house tomorrow and take all of their stuff.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

sendô wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:11 am They'll believe what they want to believe because their guns make them feel safe, secure and powerful, and they don't care how many of other people's kids need to die to maintain that.
Indeed. The main reason I've seen online is that 'It's mental health causing mass shootings, not guns. America needs to fund treatment of mental health issues instead of gun control.'

In an ideal world that is undoubtedly correct, but it's far too naïve. Every country in the world has mental health issues, plenty that are not fully understood and can't be treated in an effective way.

Much easier to literally and metaphorically take the bullet out of their chamber...you would think.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

NY Governor signed legislation to raise the age to 21 to own a semi automatic rifle. Not going to change things, but like I said a few pages ago, we just need to start somewhere. It's a start.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

vietnammer wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:42 am Unfortunately, this is what prevents the issue from being approached singularly and rationally. Pro or anti gun control is mixed in with everything else various parties represent, or more precisely hate about the other party.
Brexit was similar (said this earlier)
There was always hate for sure, but this is a product of the internet age. Easy ability to disseminate misinformation, create echo chambers, and provide environments not unlike this one to spend hours a day arguing for your [political] team. Unfortunately I do not think there is an end in sight, possibly until all generations have grown up in the internet age and can be productively taught about its up and downsides.
WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

For all their Ammendment rights should an American senator, NRA lobbyist or someone of importance's child/ children get gunned down im pretty sure it would change then
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I know, I know, Hollywood poking their nose into every day affairs. Worth noting that he is from Uvalde and maintains a very close connection to his hometown.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:18 pm

I know, I know, Hollywood poking their nose into every day affairs. Worth noting that he is from Uvalde and maintains a very close connection to his hometown.
Just watched the whole thing pete. Powerful stuff.

Did you hear the first question (from what I presume was the press corps) when he finished?

“Were you grandstanding sir?”

Unbelievable. :fsake:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

No I didn't. That's mind boggling. Was it Peter Doocie from Fox?

EDIT: It was some dude from Newsmax, who used to work at Fox News but had to leave due to the number of sexual harassment claims against him.
Last edited by WCpete on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:18 pm

also teaches I think, at the University of Texas, Austin. or did for a while.

from Wiki

McConaughey started the just keep livin foundation, which is "dedicated to helping teenage kids lead active lives and make healthy choices to become great men and women".[110] On February 25, 2016, McConaughey received the Creative Conscience award from unite4:humanity for his work with his foundation.[111]

In 2019, McConaughey officially became a professor of practice for the Department of Radio-Television-Film at the Moody College of Communication in his alma mater, UT-Austin; he had served as a visiting instructor since 2015.[112][113] The first two sessions were about the filming of the movie Free State of Jones.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

McConaughey will now be branded an American hating Commie pinko Liberal.