America - Guns & Mass Shootings

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Re: The Latest Mass Shooting In America

Post by Puff Daddy »

I thought the US Government sent law men like Wyatt Earp out to the wild and wooly West to tame the baddies. It would appear there are sill a few of them left
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2697 likes

Post by sendô »

I honestly struggle to feel sympathy for a nation that could solve the problem if it wishes but fundamentally thinks a few dead kids every couple of months is a price worth paying so some cousin ****ing hillybilly can feel safer in his home.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 491 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

sendô wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:35 pm I honestly struggle to feel sympathy for a nation that could solve the problem if it wishes but fundamentally thinks a few dead kids every couple of months is a price worth paying so some cousin ****ing hillybilly can feel safer in his home.
Agreed, although as US gun deaths run at close on 40,000 per year it's difficult to understand how even Cousin Cletus expects to feel safer.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

So far this year, there have been 250 mass shootings in America, with 27 of them taking place in schools according to the Wikipedia list.

An average of 1.66 mass shootings per day.

There were 693 mass shootings in 2021, an average of 1.89 shootings per day.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by vietnammer »

'stone hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:53 pm So far this year, there have been 250 mass shootings in America, with 27 of them taking place in schools according to the Wikipedia list.

An average of 1.66 mass shootings per day.

There were 693 mass shootings in 2021, an average of 1.89 shootings per day.
Think you're getting world-wide stats mixed up with US stats there.
Wiki seems to say that 1) a mass shooting can be defined as 4 people excluding the perpetrator and 2) there were 163 of such mass shootings in the US between 1967 and 2019. (Washington Post)
That's still an alarming statistic, but not what you quote above
Last edited by vietnammer on Wed May 25, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:45 pm Agreed, although as US gun deaths run at close on 40,000 per year it's difficult to understand how even Cousin Cletus expects to feel safer.
40,000 gun deaths is because they have guns Pete.

Nearly every other country in the world doesn't have guns and don't feel as if they are unprotected or unsafe because of it.
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

as a nation,they are too fragmented , take the death penalty , as a nation they are divided on its practice , how is a country that large gonna reach an agreement to lay down their arms .
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:06 pm 40,000 gun deaths is because they have guns Pete.

Nearly every other country in the world doesn't have guns and don't feel as if they are unprotected or unsafe because of it.
Even the ones that do don't have no where near the same problem, this is a problem that goes deeper than a ridiculously easy access to firearms........
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

delbert wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:10 pm Even the ones that do don't have no where near the same problem, this is a problem that goes deeper than a ridiculously easy access to firearms........
Agreed Delbert
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

delbert wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:10 pm Even the ones that do don't have no where near the same problem, this is a problem that goes deeper than a ridiculously easy access to firearms........
Yep. There's a shedload of mental health problems, childhood bullying, rich/poor divide **** all going at the same time. Also, let's not forget that this is a country which managed to convince it's people that in the Cowboys vs Indians - it was the Cowboys who were the goodies!

Half of these school shooters seem to think that they are doing 'the right thing' or 'god's work'. It's like this bull**** about 'the only way you stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun'. But who the f*** decides who's good or bad.
Plashet Grove Pete

vietnammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:04 pm Think you're getting world-wide stats mixed up with US stats there.
Wiki seems to say that 1) a mass shooting can be defined as 4 people excluding the perpetrator and 2) there were 163 of such mass shootings in the US between 1967 and 2019. (Washington Post)
That's still an alarming statistic, but not what you quote above
The stat you quote uses a very narrow definition of a mass shooting viet. The reality is an awful lot worse than that suggests.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

This thread will never leave the first few pages of this forum.
I'm sick of it. Don't care any more. Thoughts and prayers = doing nothing (in all circumstances but especially these) but that seems to be all anybody is prepared to do.

Jim Jeffries was bang on.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

vietnammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:04 pm Think you're getting world-wide stats mixed up with US stats there.
I wish I was mate.

List of mass shootings in the United States 2022
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:39 am Good post Bendy. Regarding your first point though - yes, I listened to the coach, and he talked a lot of sense. But ultimately ordinary Americans vote in their politicians. The people are complicit in what gets passed into law.

How can you point all the blame at the senators when there are more guns in America than there are people? American politics is f*cked up (as you can argue it is over here), but at the end of the day surely the American public gets what the American public wants.
The scary thing is that only about 30% of Americans own guns. Well, legally anyway.

Two years ago when all the George Floyd marches were going on, gun sales went through the roof because people think a civil war is coming.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Row X wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:23 am The right to bear arms was for protection of their own country, as they were in fear we, the British, would come back and wipe them out.
We did. August 24 1814
Plashet Grove Pete

Shabu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:43 pm The scary thing is that only about 30% of Americans own guns. Well, legally anyway.

Two years ago when all the George Floyd marches were going on, gun sales went through the roof because people think a civil war is coming.
The other scary thing is that whenever there's a big school massacre in the US of A, gun sales also go through the roof.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2697 likes

Post by sendô »

Shabu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:49 pm We did. August 24 1814
:D To be fair, that war merely proved that Britain never did want to reclaim the US colonies, and the burning of Washington was merely punishment for them getting uppity trying to take Canada.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

sendô wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:57 pm :D To be fair, that war merely proved that Britain never did want to reclaim the US colonies, and the burning of Washington was merely punishment for them getting uppity trying to take Canada.
It was also a great slap in the chops as the troops that burnt down the White House where escaped slaves - who were incredibly brave and able soldiers.

Unfortunately the USA got their revenge on them down in Florida a few years later.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Unless the American people, and by that I mean every individual with a vote, stop voting for lawmakers who continue to oppose gun reform, I'm sorry to say they're part of the problem.
Plashet Grove Pete

That's about 100,000,00 problems right there.