Cricket English Summer 2021 + Ashes

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Cricket English Summer 2021 + Ashes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The fall of those wickets was utterly shambolic. Awful laughable and painful to watch. It was men against schoolboys Village Green cricketers, all of them. c**** the lot of them. :thdn: Headbanger
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

For what it's worth player ratings out of 10.

Burns - 2. Technique exposed by the Aussies and his fielding was poor. Set the scene for the series for England with the first ball, came back in and couldn't be arsed to dive to save his wicket and then his odd technique cost him his wicket today when he was looking set to kick on.

Hameed - 1.5. Still not a test batsman, perhaps he never will be.

Crawley - 3. Some promise when he was thrown back in undercooked but needs a lot of work.

Malan - 4. started well but then fell off a cliff. Test standard number 3? Never in a million years but in there because the cupboard is bare.

Root - 6 for his batting but still can't get a century down under, was really unlucky today. 2 for his captaincy.

Stokes - 4. Hampered by injury and scratched around for form. His dismissal today when he just had to stick around for a while summed it up.

Pope - 1. Did okay as sub WK but his batting was atrocious. Can't play spin and his wicket today was absolutely laughable.

Buttler - 2. Got to be it in the test arena. Sloppy with the gloves and once again all at sea with the bat. Give the gloves to Foakes.

Billings - 6 did well with the gloves and a decent 29 in the first innings but a feeble effort second time up.

Bairstow - 7. Only century for us on the tour so that's something.

Woakes - 3. Nice guy but it's never worked for him in Australia and it was the same old here.

Anderson - 5. Always economical but once again struggled to take wickets in Australia. Its all very well saying its time for him to retire but its not like there's loads knocking on the door is there?

Broad - 6. Always a competitor.

Robinson - 4.5. Decent for the first 6 overs then starts blowing out his arse. Looked like he just gave up his wicket today to just put us out of out misery.

Wood - 8. First innings of the fifth test apart he was easily our man of the series. Deserved better with some of his spells where he got little reward.

Leach- 2. Another spinner joins the Root graveyard. Thrown to the wolves in the first test and when he was bought in, most of the time Root sets a field that shows little confidence in him.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Just sped through our innings after the match without knowing the score. Up to the first wicket great, I actually had a hint of hope then what the hell, the usual spineless ****. Stokes’s shot in particular was awful.

I’m sure they’ll be a report, some head scratching, but the protectionism of the counties will kick in and nothing will change.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:41 pm I backed 4:0 to the Aussies. Bang on track
Nice one mate. :thup:
smuts

Post by smuts »

Galling thing is that Warner, Smith and to a lesser extent Labushagne had pretty average series yet nearly everyone around them stepped up.

Green looks like he could be a genuinely all time great all rounder, Khawaja comes in and scores a ton and Boland makes debut and we make him look like Mcgrath just because he bowls line and length.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

If the ECB take test cricket seriously* then they will undertake a Root ( :wink:) and branch overhaul of the entiresystem similar to that performed on the one day game a few years back.

* (I'm not sure they do, other than the Ashes series, where's the cash return?)
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

If the ECB ever get round to sorting out the fixture list for this season we'll see if they've made at least the obvious change and moved a few CC rounds to the summer months.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Just heard a radio interview with Silverwood. He's keen to stay on.

Good luck with that mate. You'd be out of your depth in a puddle.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

So I left home for our game after tea, when we'd just lost Malan. Was I shocked (don't know why) when I saw the game was over when I checked on my phone on the train journey.

The complaint was that with our openers getting out quickly it exposed our middle order too early. What's the excuse now?

Just shocking, it really is rock bottom.

Was interesting to watch Cook and Butcher analyse why county crickets take an off stump guard, and then explain why Crawley and Pope are struggling at test level. Our coaching is nonsense.

How do we change this? It could take years. We need red ball cricket in June, we need better wickets, and we need better coaching.

When you look at Pope, how people raved about him, his county average, and then how exposed he is at test level, we have massive problems. I'd take him out the test arena for a couple of years and correct all the ****, hopefully he can come back a proper player.

The sad thing is there is not much else. These may well be the best we have.

All I would say is that covid has not helped, I understand people don't want bubbles and the demands of cricket, but rocking up in Australia, having a 2 day knock up and then playing 5 tests back to back, is it any wonder our already struggling batting line up failed?

Imagine West Ham having 2 days of pre season, then going to Liverpool, Chelsea and City for 3 games. What would happen? Would players rather win and spend an extra 10 days away, or have a quick in and out and get tuned?
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Interesting piece by Jonathan Agnew on the BBC sport website (sorry can't do links, but, unsurprisingly it comes under 'cricket). He suggests (if I read it right) that for 4 day cricket, they move away from counties to something more like the Hundred franchises, thus ensuring that in the long version of game the best players, as it were, come up against those equal to them on a regular basis. It's radical stuff, probably far too radical for the doddery old twats in the shires.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 pm Interesting piece by Jonathan Agnew on the BBC sport website
Read that, decent from Agnew as usual . Whatever the solution 18 counties is too many and they cannot be trusted to do what is right in the long term (neither can the ECB to be fair). We need 8-10 teams with as many English qualified players as possible, playing high quality, competitive cricket in near Test conditions (ball, rules, pitch etc)played a decent times (mid summer)
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:30 pm Nice one mate. :thup:
Also had Cummings to be leading wicket taker. Which he did in the last session.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 am Also had Cummings to be leading wicket taker. Which he did in the last session.
Indeed, he has had the Prime Minister in all sorts of trouble recently.
smuts

Post by smuts »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... shes-party

Why on earth would Thorpe share that video? He seemingly can't coach batsmen for toffee so no great loss when he probably gets let go.
Bend it like Repka

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:06 pm The fall of those wickets was utterly shambolic. Awful laughable and painful to watch. It was men against schoolboys Village Green cricketers, all of them. ***** the lot of them. :thdn: Headbanger
I've actually only just watched the last 7 wickets. That was shameful, players literally throwing away their wickets so they could get it over with. I'd not tolerate that of my junior teams, let alone an England side.

Gutless and embarrassing. No desire to make the Aussies work. As far as I'm concerned that should be the last nail in Silverwoods coffin because clearly they don't think they will get a dressing down after that.

As for Pope's dismissal, his head is gone. That is the shot of a muddled junior. After listening to Cooks analysis of the off stump guard, you wonder what Thorpe has been saying to let Pope play like that.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

The 4-0 series result flattered us.

I'm not sure English test cricket has been at a lower ebb since the 90's.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Oh dear. Now our women are thrashed too
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:21 pm Oh dear. Now our women are thrashed too
Equality and all that, the Aussies are equal opportunity 'thrashers'
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've just watched the manner in which some of them got out and it wasn't pretty
Bend it like Repka

The difference is our women batted ok, our score wasn't too shabby. Our bowling wasn't good enough and their batting was superb.

More a case of well played Oz rather than us humiliating ourseleves