Cricket English Summer 2021 + Ashes

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Cricket English Summer 2021

Post by westhamgardner »

Tenbury wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:01 am Frankly no. I'd sooner listen to the ex wife than Boycott. (Anyway, that boring bigot Vaughan 's taken over). TBH, I find the latest TMS line up pretty fresh, and I was brought up on Compton, Trueman and Arlott.

Anyhow, it's time, IMO, to take a long hard look at the current England set up. It's all well and good Root being a captain who leads by example, but I really feel this side needs some structure and discipline. Just because Broad chucks his toys out the pram when he's dropped is not a reason to make him vice captain (quite the reverse). The occasional 5 fors he turns in, usually in favourable conditions, dont (IMO) justify even a place in the squad, more often than not he's, at best, just pie chucking. Everyone seems scared of just dropping him!... if they'd have played Leach (which, BTW, I think they should have) it's odds on Robinson would have been the one to miss out. There's no way whatsoever that Broad should be involvedin the upcoming Ashes series, so having his shadow hanging over thecurrent side is ridiculous. A strong, cohesive and successful side is selected on form and merit, not mere reputation.
Whilst they have made some absolutely ridiculous decisions over the last couple of years I do feel sorry for our selectors sometimes. For them Broad makes himself undroppable with one or two world class spells over every summer, I agree with you though I don't think he should have a place in this test side.

We still also have the problem at the top of the order. All three of Crawley, Burns and Sibley have shown they have quality but it's too sporadic and it's almost inevitable that we lose two quick wickets and until that is fixed we will struggle to beat any of the top sides.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Your right. I guess it's the one downside of the L. O game. An opener that, if not technically excellent, has at least some sort of stickability if only to take the shine off, is a rare animal here in the UK, though for some reason other countries seem to find them.
Whatever itis, the current crop just aren't good enough.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

How far back is enough? Should they ask school friends to see if they said anything 'nasty' on the playground or in the sand pit as a toddler?

Slippery slope all this as far as I am concerned.

Will it get to a point where someone is not picked because it is found they said something in the past as teenager? Who will decided, may they could ask sponsors what they think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57352402

"England may review the social media history of future players after the emergence of historical racist and sexist tweets by Ollie Robinson, says batting coach Graham Thorpe.

Posts from 2012 and 2013 emerged on Wednesday as seamer Robinson, 27, was making his Test debut against New Zealand at Lord's."
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Have to say I like the Sky commentary team at the moment. Not a huge fan of Ward anchoring but I think Nasser, Rob Key, Bumble and Athers are a brilliant listen. Atherton in particular I could listen to speak about cricket all day. Bumble still cracks me up, highlight of yesterday when the umpire took out the ball-measuring hoop when the Kiwis were moaning about the shape of the ball..."the umpire's got his ringpiece out"!
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

People knocking Broad are probably the same ones complaining about people knocking Noble :hush:
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Well I'll rise to the bait!
The way Mark Noble has conducted himself as his exceptional playing career comes to an end, contrasts markedly with Broad's petulance. No one, anywhere, could ever suggest other than that Noble puts the team first and last. Seasoned pros, in any team sport, can have a great deal to contribute, not least in encouraging and supporting the younger talent, but they should be picked on performance, not reputation.
Last edited by Tenbury on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Tenbury wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 am Well I'll rise to the bait!
The way Mark Noble has conducted himself as his exceptional playing career comes to an end, contrasts markedly with Broad's petulance. No one, anywhere, could ever suggest that Noble puts the team first and last. Seasoned pros, in any team sport, can have a great deal to contribute, not least in encouraging and supporting the younger talent, but they should be picked on performance, not reputation.
(facebook type) like. :thup:

Broad and Anderson are greats and I it has been wonderful to watch them but we need to bring their replacements through. It would be pointless taking them to Auz in my opinion. Take some youngsters even if they get slaughtered (I don't think we can win anyway, our batting is far too lacking)
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

Root gone first ball, it’s just so English
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

First ball.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Think I read the other day that De Grandmullet has the 8th highest batting average in this NZ side, in ours he would be 2nd...
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:10 am Think I read the other day that De Grandmullet has the 8th highest batting average in this NZ side, in ours he would be 2nd...
Averages are meh though, scores in England are generally lower than other places, opening in England is statically the hardest in the world. We also don't play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe very much and play in Auz more than other teams (other than the Aussies obviously)
smuts

Post by smuts »

Clear LBW. Pope goes.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Terrible from Lawrence, our batsman have the self control of a toddler.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Terrible shot from Lawrence. Gone for 0.

England under pressure and the ships needs steadying and you play a half arsed wafty shot like that. Brainless.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Follow on in danger now? We have become a really average Test team in recent times. The obsession with the white ball is biting us on the arse.

3 for 0 in 21 balls, the summer is truly here.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Bracey another duck.

39 away from the follow on. This is absolute toilet this morning.
smuts

Post by smuts »

de Grandhomme is going for just over a run an over. Southee doing the damage while he ties us in knots.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

A middle order collapse, nature really is healing.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

NZ eyeing the victory now, get a bat later today then have a go bowling England out day 5.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

All the hype about Pope, I'm not seeing much at present. Of all the England players who failed in India, he looked the most lost against spin.

He needs to produce something very soon.

Were some people questioning Butler's position in this test team?