Cricket English Summer 2021 + Ashes

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Re: Cricket English Summer 2021 + Ashes

Post by anjado »

When you play in Australia you need to pick your most skilful spin bowler, for England that is either Rashid or Parkinson, Jack Leach is a very poor man's Monty Panesar he isn't going to keep it tight against them because they don't respect his bowling you don't bore these people out anymore. But they will do something stupid like recall Moeen Ali who will get the same treatment.

Unless you are a top-class off-spinner you won't do well in Australia you need to be Graeme Swann quality at least and England don't have that so they should go with leg-spinner's who are more expensive but more likely to take wickets.
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Wood gets a well deserved wicket, Smith (the whiney c unit) in this instance. We're still bollixed though.
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

Ollie Robinsons has just taken 2 wickets in 2 balls, hopefully, they can wrap up the rest of them quickly.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Leach doesn't bowl a ball all summer then we expect him to deliver on a green seamer. Duh.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Stokes fly home injured.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

The decision not to play Broad was justified then I see, Warner getting just just shy of a ton and setting the tone for their innings.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

It's classic down under agony. You just knew we were going to end up facing a big total after trying our hearts out and getting no luck.

The moment Stokes wicket was a no ball I knew we were done. Absolute match killer.

The rest was inevitable.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Leach will be dropped now as Root will be saying to Silverwood might as well let me bowl.

Robinson and Wood deserved better for their efforts. How many times has Burns dropped dollies in the slips now?

Broad must be fuming he's sat this out when the left handers pile on the runs.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Other than Robinson and Wood it's been really poor.

All three disciplines have been well below a good standard.

And for how great Root is with a bat, he is quickly becoming one of our worst Captains for a long long time.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Yeah pretty poor stuff. Fully expecting an innings defeat. We look completely under prepared in all disciplines. Wood and Robinson have done pretty well. Leach :shock: just awful, not up to it at this level.

I think this will be Roots last series as captain.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

smuts wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:45 am Robinson and Wood deserved better for their efforts. How many times has Burns dropped dollies in the slips now?
Burns needs to go really - his batting hasn't been up to scratch and his fielding is woeful at times.

Average of about 30 after 30 games isn't good enough for a top performing test match side. Cook and Harmy saying that it was quite good in this day and age...is it?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Caught up with the second and third sessions (sped though it so I might have missed some bits) watched the first live.

Firstly Robinson and Wood - Well done bowled their hearts out (Wood's 20 overs is the join most he has ever bowled in a Test day - Please don't over bowl him!) . Robinson showed he is going to be world class and could be pivotal in future Ashes (and maybe this one)

Wood's beamer was interesting but the Aussie commentators didn't half milk it. You'd have thought it was intentional and Head was mortally wounded.

The Bad - Joe Root, he is such a bad captain, you have to make things happen not wait until they do.

Aussie Luck, hopefully Warner has used a Test series of luck up in one go.

Burns - I am sorry he is not a Test player, he is not mentally strong enough. The drop after lunch was criminal, yes everyone drops one some times but (maybe it is selective memory) seems to drop more than his share. I've simply no condolence in him in the field or with the bat.

Leach - All my pre-match nightmares came to pass, I knew they'd get after him and as I believed he was lacking. I get he is there for the last innings and I hope he can do something (however we might not have anything to bowl at) . If he is going to bowl like that you might as well use Root.

Lastly - Injuries, now I don't watch much non-England Test cricket. But it feels we seem to get more than our fair share of in game bowling injuries, is this bad luck, playing not fit players, fitness protocols. I don't know.

But this one seems done... now where is that rain they talked about :rain:
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:16 am The Bad - Joe Root, he is such a bad captain, you have to make things happen not wait until they do.
Cooky was calling him a great captain on BT Sport on Wednesday....

Batting first on this wicket with our fragile line up and then leaving out Broad AND Anderson?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:44 pm Batting first on this wicket with our fragile line up and then leaving out Broad AND Anderson?
Unless something incredible happens you can stick this one in with the Nasser Hussain decision. Wrong team, wrong toss selection and hapless batting.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Stokes bowled 14 non-penalised no balls in the 5 overs before the one that got chalked off. :shock:

Ricky Ponting called the on-field umpires "pathetic" in that if a bowler doesn't know he's bowling them he won't adjust his run up.

Yep, Root and Silverwood have got this one all completely wrong and not for the first time. I bet when the Aussie woke up to see completely clear skies they couldn't believe their luck.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:54 pm Stokes bowled 14 non-penalised no balls in the 5 overs before the one that got chalked off. :shock:

Ricky Ponting called the on-field umpires "pathetic" in that if a bowler doesn't know he's bowling them he won't adjust his run up.
To be fair to the umpires they are told not to call them. On suggestion I saw (other than getting the 3rd to check every ball which is the best) is allow the bowling teams coach's to access the 'no ball' pictures so they could get a message out to the bowler if it is a persistent problem because as you've said Stokes thought all was good so how could he adjust.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

In truth, it doesn't matter who our bowlers are or how well they bowl because every time we're in the field it's a job for International Rescue. This state of affairs will continue until such times as we can find at least six blokes who can bat at test level.

Our test batting is ****ing disgraceful and has been for quite some time.

All of our seam bowlers are OK and yes, we could do with a world class spinner but, until we get the batting sorted out, we're ****ed.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Our bowlets are totally ill equipped for tours. They are principally schooled for our wickets, which are a seamers paradice, whereas, in Aus, where pace wins the day and in India, well, their spiners will have us, quite literally in a spin
Bend it like Repka

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:15 am Burns needs to go really - his batting hasn't been up to scratch and his fielding is woeful at times.

Average of about 30 after 30 games isn't good enough for a top performing test match side. Cook and Harmy saying that it was quite good in this day and age...is it?
That might be justified if he was keeping good players out the side.

Dom Sibley?
Zak Crawley?
Keaton Jennings?

As I said before, he was our second highest scorer this year after Root. His problem is the number of ducks he gets, which shows he is vulnerable early on.

When England were consistently 20/3 a few years back we would have taken any player who could open and average 30
Bend it like Repka

Also if anyone thinks any English spinner would have ripped through Oz today then good luck with that.

That huge total of 147 meant they were free to target Leach from the off. As Tuffers said, Leach got a Hospital pass today.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:20 pm When England were consistently 20/3 a few years back we would have taken any player who could open and average 30
Basically if Root or Stokes don't score England don't make 200. It has been going on for so long. The openers is a national disgrace, how long ago did Strauss retire?

Leach was stitched up, I said it would happen and I take no joy in that, he has not played for ever and was expected to hold up an end in Aus for the first innings and then turn in to prime Swann second innings (which is might still do - if we manage to make them bat again, which I doubt.) He didn't really have a chance.