The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

window74
Location: 5000 miles away in NC & yet only minutes away from Wembley!
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post by window74 »

The 2 most important signings of the Summer must be David Moyes & Co on 3-4 deals & the permanent signing of Jesse Lingard.

To lose the core of our first 11 & to still be performing like we are is nothing short of a miracle.

C.O.Y.I. ⚒
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: The Summer

Post by Puff Daddy »

What on earth is this and who exactly is 'buzzing' about this ?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier ... d=msedgdhp
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

window74 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm The 2 most important signings of the Summer must be David Moyes & Co on 3-4 deals & the permanent signing of Jesse Lingard.

To lose the core of our first 11 & to still be performing like we are is nothing short of a miracle.

C.O.Y.I. ⚒
Definitely agree on the Moyes argument - should be putting the final touches on the deal now, in my view, to stop several other clubs in the top flight offering him something better/equivalent.

If he wants Lingard, then absolutely fine by me, too, even if it does mean farewells to Anderson and Manu.

It's an oft-repeated point, though, that I am about to make, but Lingard surely only stays if Rice and Souey fancy staying...
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I prefer Spring, personally.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

window74 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm The 2 most important signings of the Summer must be David Moyes & Co on 3-4 deals & the permanent signing of Jesse Lingard.

C.O.Y.I. ⚒
I get the idea we’ll need to part company with £30m to land Lingard but on current form it’s a no brainer. It’s whether or not he can maintain this level of consistency. Moyse has done wonders.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

No manager should be offered more than a 2/3 year deal, we all know how quickly football can change now. What’s a realistic upgrade for Moyes from us?

I think we’ll have to accept that Lingard won’t be staying. I can imagine the Inter Milan link being real given Conte’s signings and I wouldn’t be surprised if Man U want to keep him now.
lukechadwick
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by lukechadwick »

D C wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm No manager should be offered more than a 2/3 year deal, we all know how quickly football can change now. What’s a realistic upgrade for Moyes from us?

I think we’ll have to accept that Lingard won’t be staying. I can imagine the Inter Milan link being real given Conte’s signings and I wouldn’t be surprised if Man U want to keep him now.
I agree that Man Utd may want to keep him but if he wants to come to us they'd be foolish to turn down 20-30 million on a player with a year left on his contract. I think it's all down to what the player wants TBF
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

lukechadwick wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:59 pm I agree that Man Utd may want to keep him but if he wants to come to us they'd be foolish to turn down 20-30 million on a player with a year left on his contract. I think it's all down to what the player wants TBF
It all depends on where we finish. If we finish in the champions league, there is no reason at all why Lingard won’t stay. If we are in the Europa league then it’s up to how much he values playing every week and the rejuvenation he has experienced with us and how much he appreciates the players and playing staff.
If we fall off a cliff and miss out on Europe then no chance.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Paying £30m for Lingard would be the type of idiotic thing we’re known for. He’ll be 29, in the final year of his contract, and in a Covid-hit financial environment. And the stone cold certainty that he can’t continue scoring at Ronaldo/Messi rates forever.

We’d also hope to have some measure of leverage for a change given the season we’ve had and the fact he’ll probably be advised by his people that he should stay.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

C.O.Y.I. ⚒
You can add a new 5 year deal for Rice on £120k a week to the priority list.

This is the summer to tie him down to a new deal, if his contract runs down a further year the speculation will grow and what better time to offer him a new deal than immediately after our likely best ever premier league campaign.

As for Lingard, realistically we won’t be spending £30m on a 29 year old who is out of contract in 12 months during COVID. Hopefully he’ll be keen to come and that will help us get a deal over the line for £16m-£20m.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

D C wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm No manager should be offered more than a 2/3 year deal, we all know how quickly football can change now. What’s a realistic upgrade for Moyes from us?

I actually think 3 years is the minimum you should offer a good manager. Less than that and you do not get the necessary stability.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 am I actually think 3 years is the minimum you should offer a good manager. Less than that and you do not get the necessary stability.
Pep and Moyes, probably the two candidates for manager of the year, started the season with contracts that expired at the end of it.

Pep signed an extension around Christmas time...for two years.

There's barely any benefit to a club offering long managerial contracts, other than when they've got a young, hyper-ambitious one where approaches are inevitable during the course of the contract and they want to juice the potential buy-out.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 pm What on earth is this and who exactly is 'buzzing' about this ?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier ... d=msedgdhp
****ing to this update, many Irons supporters were buzzing with this link
Thanks to you, another 665 people have '****ed' to the link. How many to officially be a hot story? :lol:

To save others from the clickbait headline, we are linked with Burnley "enforcer", Brownhill.

EDIT
the censored word is f-l-o-c-k-e-d, sorry if that causes offence.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 am I actually think 3 years is the minimum you should offer a good manager. Less than that and you do not get the necessary stability.
I agree, we should be looking to give Moyes a 3 year deal.

As for Lingard it is really down to what he wants to do but whether he joins or not impacts on what we need to do in the summer, if he does not then we will need a similar sort of player to complement Bowen/Fornals as Benrahma is not that.

It is then a question of who, if anyone, wants the likes of Manu, Anderson and Yarmo. Any decent offers we sell (as we did with Haller) otherwise if we make Europe (especially Europa) then there might be some legs in keeping them for those games which are likely to suit them better than the PL. We could see a front 4 from Antonio, Benrahma, Lanzini, Yarmo and Anderson in that competition without impacting our first choice 11 which for a club our size is pretty decent. Were we to actually make the CL then everything becomes more complicated.

A striker remains priority as well securing Lingard or similar then it is the broken record of a LB and cover for CM assuming Soucek and Rice stay. Finding suitable cheap options for the last 2 will be the key as any budget is bound to go on a striker and Lingard.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Agreed with regards to Moyes getting a 3 year contract. That's always the bare minimum a manager should be offered. Anything less than that is an outrage. And sadly I do think Sully will do just that, by giving Moyes no more than 2 years. I have said on here many times before you should always give a manager 3 summer Windows to build their own squad. Moyes has only had 1 Summer window. And even in that one he arguably wasn't backed properly. As only 3 new players were brought in to a squad that only stayed in the Premier League by 5 points. Which alone demonstrates what an outstanding job Moyes has done. But we all know if there is one owner in this League that could throw away work as good as this it's Mr. Sullivan. I have no doubt Sullivan will do his very best.

If he continues to do well and more importantly Moyes wants to keep him then absolutely Lingard needs to be a priority too. I think thanks to him being out of contract in 2022 we stand a good chance. Especially if against all odds we make the Champions League too. As on paper he is leaving another Champions League club to simply get more first team football. What we also need to remember is Man Utd will also want to make their own signings so will need to raise cash themselves. Yes, I am sure they will still try and hold us to ransom. But I reckon £30m-ish they will budge. COVID is effecting all clubs. Even Pep Guardiola of all people at the filthy rich Man City said recently there is a very good chance they won't be able to sign a new striker, as they haven't got the money to spend really big money on 1 player. I expect us to try and haggle the prince down. But I am still pretty optimistic we'll get Lingard. Again though I'd give him no more than a 3 year contract, with an option to extend it. As he'll be 29 by the end of this year.

The priorites after that for me is to bring in a striker, 2 central midfielders, a centre half and a goalkeeper who will eventually replace Fabianski. Even if 1-2 are on similar loan deals as Soucek and Benrahma.
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

First job is to tie Moyes and his backroom staff up for a longer period, thats a no-brainer.

Secondly keep Rice and sign Lingard.

It looks like we will be going on a European adventure!, how cool will that be after an exciting end to the Season to achieve that, followed by the Euro's (hopefully new signing Jessie Lingard will be playing along with Rice and the Czech boys) and having a European campaign to look forward to, and not that crap europa conference crap qualifying stuff, either Champs league or into the Europa group stages!

We need to adjust and bring in young, fit, talented hungry players into the squad, we need to address the following positions:

Striker - need a signature striker, who is better than Micky, who certainly has better fitness! Micky can be the second striker or play on the wing.

Centre Midfielder - somebody who can rotate with Rice and Soucek, Noble will be the 4th choice here.

Centre Back - Looks like the General is off, we need another CB with an eye on Europe, that Serb at Napoli looks good plus he can play CM which might kill two birds with one stone, see above, keep Oggy, Dawson and Diop as the other three.

I really think we are ok with Fabianski as our number one and the full backs are ok in Cresswell, Coufal, Johnson and Masuaku, maybe move on Freds?

I would sell the following, if we can, Anderson, Balbuena, Freds, Yarmalenko possibly? With Europe there may be a cause to potentially keep Lanzini and Yarmy

So sign in brief:

Moyes
Backroom staff
Lingard
Striker
CB
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

funky chicken wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:46 am Agreed with regards to Moyes getting a 3 year contract. That's always the bare minimum a manager should be offered. Anything less than that is an outrage.
Why?

A contract doesn’t have any bearing on how long a manager stays in the job, it just means the club has to pay out more if results get so bad a change is required. Unless you’re the manager himself or the manager’s agent, you shouldn’t have much interest in a gaffer having a long contract.

Ranieri didn’t even finish out the season immediately after *winning the league*.
Graza

Post by Graza »

stu1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 am As for Lingard, realistically we won’t be spending £30m on a 29 year old who is out of contract in 12 months during COVID. Hopefully he’ll be keen to come and that will help us get a deal over the line for £16m-£20m.
We shouldn't, but the problem is our chief negotiator is not very good at his job. Realistically 29 is prime age really so it is peak value for him, but having only a year left on his contract should temper that. It comes back again to will he play if he doesn't leave Manure? Probably on and off but more off than on. So he needs to leave for himself. How much they can get probably depends on how many clubs are interested and how many are willing to pay for him. I can't see that many clubs being in for him that he would choose to go to for a bidding war of over 20m (mostly due to that short contract) to kick off.

If we do or do not buy him my main concern is when that decision is made. No more of this deadline day rushed physicals, claims of found injuries and general nonsense. We should have our targets lined up for CL, EL, stupid other competition or straight domestic season and as soon as any of those are locked in bids should be going out and agreements signed. Bit of a risk if some of our new purchases are going to the Euros as we don't have a great record of getting players back unbroken from international duty, but a greater risk is waiting till the end and getting barrelled or simply missing out.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

stu1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 am You can add a new 5 year deal for Rice on £120k a week to the priority list.

This is the summer to tie him down to a new deal, if his contract runs down a further year the speculation will grow and what better time to offer him a new deal than immediately after our likely best ever premier league campaign.

As for Lingard, realistically we won’t be spending £30m on a 29 year old who is out of contract in 12 months during COVID. Hopefully he’ll be keen to come and that will help us get a deal over the line for £16m-£20m.
I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous but Rice could command double that salary elsewhere .£120k per week is not enough
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

My prediction is that Lingard will go elsewhere and never quite capture this seasons form again.