The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:08 pm /twitter.com/_thomasjclark/status/1432787920356880389?t=Yv3ptxjV8tlgattgXe6riA&s=19
Well that makes a bit more sense.
As soon as I posted above, I found this quote by Moyes on SkySports:
""We've brought him in on loan initially and, hopefully, over the course of the season he will make a valuable contribution, particularly with our busier schedule of fixtures."
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:22 pm Well that makes a bit more sense.
As soon as I posted above, I found this quote by Moyes on SkySports:
""We've brought him in on loan initially and, hopefully, over the course of the season he will make a valuable contribution, particularly with our busier schedule of fixtures."
Seems fair all round really.
Sometimes you can get a deal that suits everyone.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

I thought Kral was an option which became an obligation after a certain number of games. That was the noise at the time as per the tweet above.

Doesn't matter as he is going to be great.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

My brain has been ticking over again. Maybe we've bought Kral in as Moyes may see Declan as a more attacking DM against certain opposition, namely the so called 'big six'.

Kral and Soucek in front of defence, Rice in front of them with 2 of Benny, Fornals, Bowen & Vlasic with Antonio up top in an attacking diamond, with Declan as the heartbeat of it - 4-2-1-2-1. A solid defensive line with part of that line able to play the killer pass. Declan has according to rumours said he wants to be closer to the opposition box in games, or words to that effect.

He gives us options that are far superior than Mark Noble, bless his aging cotton socks.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much in to it...
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

-DL- wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:19 pm My brain has been ticking over again. Maybe we've bought Kral in as Moyes may see Declan as a more attacking DM against certain opposition, namely the so called 'big six'.

Kral and Soucek in front of defence, Rice in front of them with 2 of Benny, Fornals, Bowen & Vlasic with Antonio up top in an attacking diamond, with Declan as the heartbeat of it - 4-2-1-2-1. A solid defensive line with part of that line able to play the killer pass. Declan has according to rumours said he wants to be closer to the opposition box in games, or words to that effect.

He gives us options that are far superior than Mark Noble, bless his aging cotton socks.

Or maybe Kral and Rice sitting with Soucek up front ala Felliani @ Everton??
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Or Kral is Declan’s replacement for the 2022/23 season.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

I'm not sure what Kral will bring, but I think the beauty of the Rice / Soucek bromance is that they interchange so well - when one goes up, the other one holds. Either in front of the back four is pretty secure.

When Rice was injured at the end of last season and Lanzini came in for him he did fine, but we did look different. Tomas mostly sat back in the holding CDM role and hardly ventured forward, so we lost his aerial attacking threat as a result. I like the way Lanzini can play fast passes and raise the tempo of a game in midfield, but I'm not sure I've ever seen him win a 50/50 header.

So can Kral step in and replicate the Rice / Soucek role? Time will tell - I hope so. Both fellas deserve a rest now and again.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

SullySpecial wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:31 pm Or Kral is Declan’s replacement for the 2022/23 season.
Arrrgggghhhh.

Think it by all means, but please don't say it out loud.

That's tonight's nightmare sorted.
MB

Post by MB »

S-H wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:25 pm Or maybe Kral and Rice sitting with Soucek up front ala Felliani @ Everton??
Kral and Rice sitting in a tree…

I can see us maybe using all three to see out a game like we have with Noble at times, but I don’t think Declan is quite dynamic enough (yet?) to be more of a playmaker and putting Soucek further forward removes those ghosting runs from deep which tend to be the ones that cause trouble. You’ll get much less bang for your buck with you use him as a makeshift targetman where invariably he’ll end up back to goal.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

MB wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:40 pm Kral and Rice sitting in a tree…

I can see us maybe using all three to see out a game like we have with Noble at times, but I don’t think Declan is quite dynamic enough (yet?)
We said when he first broke in to the team he wouldn't make a good midfielder and should remain a CB. He moved to DM and the rest is history.

He's like that super-sporty kid at school that was good at everything. Play the little f*cker at CF and he'd score 20 a season. He's one of them.

Actually.... :chin:
WestSam
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by WestSam »

-DL- wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:48 pm We said when he first broke in to the team he wouldn't make a good midfielder and should remain a CB. He moved to DM and the rest is history.

He's like that super-sporty kid at school that was good at everything. Play the little f*cker at CF and he'd score 20 a season. He's one of them.

Actually.... :chin:
Hhhhmmmmmmmmm...!???

You might have cracked it :thup:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

SullySpecial wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:31 pm Or Kral is Declan’s replacement for the 2022/23 season.
When Ri e goes we will likely get 80m for him. We will buy a better replacement than Alex Kral
MB

Post by MB »

-DL- wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:48 pm We said when he first broke in to the team he wouldn't make a good midfielder and should remain a CB. He moved to DM and the rest is history.
A very good point :newthumb:

If you don't try you never know.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Man United thinking about trying one holding midfielder and we rock up with three.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

As soon as I saw him play as a DM, after playing CB, I believed he was better suited to that role and shouldnt look back. Thankfully that stuck as hes truly blossomed in to being 1 of the best around at it. The question now is dpes he remain a DM in future, or progress as a more box to box all round midfielder? Not sure just yet but happy to see him takes turns in venturing forward from DM in tandem with Soucek.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:03 pm When Ri e goes we will likely get 80m for him. We will buy a better replacement than Alex Kral
I think it's more to help avoid other clubs thinking we're desperate to replace Rice as we've brought someone in already.

Similar to Vardy and Daka, when Vardy leaves Leicester won't seem so desperate as Daka is already there.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:28 pm Man United thinking about trying one holding midfielder and we rock up with three.
I can see that happening, to be honest. Probably a 4-3-3 with Kral deeper than Soucek/Rice (my understanding is that Kral is more defensive than either of them, but could be a misunderstanding on my part.

It actually probably means we can offer a bit more going forward against those clubs, as the deepest midfielder can drop into the defence to make it a solid bank of five, and that gives our front three a bit more security to stay higher up the pitch (in theory).
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Our set pieces could be glorious with Zouma, Ogbonna, Rice, Soucek, Kral and Antonio all causing mischief in the same penalty area.
Josie112002
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Josie112002 »

-DL- wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:19 pm My brain has been ticking over again. Maybe we've bought Kral in as Moyes may see Declan as a more attacking DM against certain opposition, namely the so called 'big six'.

Definitely think playing three central midfielders against the bigger sides is an option now. Could see a 4321 being adopted; could be fluid on which of the 3 pushes on.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Didn’t Moyes say that Declan getting injured cost us CL?
Was interesting that he didn’t reference Antonio injury, lack of striker, sale of Haller, injuries to Cress, Masuaku or Ogbonna.