The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Loadsa2000
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post by Loadsa2000 »

Caleta Car off injured
Could imagine the meltdown if he had signed
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

LeonRivers wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:15 pm Tweety-deletey.

What was going on here? :rofl:
The original tweeter made a mistake, so deleted it and re-wrote it accurately. Have a look a bit further down and UTJ has put a post with the new tweet in. Basically explaining what happened to Sima at the end of last season.
Loadsa2000
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Loadsa2000 »

43'
Attempt missed. Nikola Vlasic (Croatia) header from the centre of the box misses to the left. Assisted by Josip Juranovic with a cross.
Attempt blocked. Nikola Vlasic (Croatia) left footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked.
49'
Foul by Nikola Vlasic (Croatia).
55'
Attempt missed. Nikola Vlasic (Croatia) right footed shot from the left side of the box is high and wide to the right.
64'
Attempt blocked. Ivan Perisic (Croatia) left footed shot from the left side of the box is blocked. Assisted by Mateo Kovacic.
88'
Attempt missed. Nikola Vlasic (Croatia) header from the centre of the box misses to the right. Assisted by Borna Sosa with a cross.
Last edited by Loadsa2000 on Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Loadsa2000 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:31 pm Caleta Car off injured
Could imagine the meltdown if he had signed
Did it look bad? This site would have gone down.
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

LeonRivers wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:38 pm We should be hailing the board for their foresight in selling Haller and banking the cash for this summer when they knew transfer fees would be more reasonable.

Too much? :crylol:
Steady on old sport!

We should be hoping this window isn't yet another false dawn such as the one during Sam's PL stint and at the beginning of Slaven's reign. (Consumer warning - The competence of our transfer policy can go down as well as up)
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

LeonRivers wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:26 pm :newthumb:
Indeed. It's exactly the £60m the ITKs said we would spend.
I know I get bored trying to get, or indeed remember figures of what was claimed before hand as a budget, but I never, till now have heard 60m mentioned though I did hear 45m mentioned a fair few times. So any specific itk(s) you can mention who stated that figure to convince me that I haven’t slipped into a parallel Universe.
e-20

Post by e-20 »

goa127 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 pm I don't understand why so many people are qualifying their opinion with "yeah but we didn't spend any money in 2014 etc". We all know West Ham's transfer windows have been erratic to say the least. What matters is the here and now. Sullivan's greatest achievement has been listening to Moyes instead of going out looking for 'bargains'. Perhaps because he's got a manager who is showing concrete results. With owners like Sully, you have to be strong enough and clever enough to take him with you. Sully wants to be a successful premier league chairman. We all benefit if he is, even if we all hope it chokes him. The outlook is promising, but there's a way to go yet
Generally true but I very much doubt that Sullivan did that willingly, he was for a while at least between a rock and a hard place as events formed to restrict his options. The perfect storm but we now need him chained to the poop deck permanently where he belongs and as soon as things ease I fear otherwise he will be itching to regain command of the ship and head us back to the iceberg. Not too many Moyes around to get us out of the sh*t storm and better still take a consistent heading to the brave New World we all wish for.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Denzil wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:06 pm A clubless Tevez is buzzing around twitter now
He's 38 the only club who will take him now is a night club.
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

e-20 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:48 am we now need him chained to the poop deck
I thought he’d stopped making those films?
:chin:
e-20

Post by e-20 »

Gsbgsb wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:07 pm So how much, over that period, can the club afford given it has pretty consistently operated at a loss and has long term debts around the £100m?

I would say the £30-£40m average is not far off that figure absent significant income via sales (indeed it is broadly in line with most clubs outside the “big 6”) especially given the huge wage inflation we instigated several years back, £134m or something like it one year. As important as anything is getting the wages back under control (again something you cannot do overnight) then spending the budget on deserving players. In principle the savings we make on wages can be used on fees, the greater the wages the less available for transfers.
We can all go round in circles on this matter I guess. Let’s be honest £30 to £40m is as you say all this club as presently structured can afford each year we should never have been give the impression it was otherwise but we all know why it was for duplicitous objectives. That said there was still opportunity to follow a sensible and productive course that could have progressed the club and generate more funds if both owners and managers had been up to the job and has been truly highlighted by the present Manager and team. We are now buying fit younger players who contribute to a team that’s becoming greater than the sum of its parts and creating assets that will if necessary generate profit as and when they move on to re invest.

Fact is when you lie about what will be invested (when before moving to the OS I was told income would be no more than 13m extra per year optimistic as it turned out) and then see money wasted predominantly on old and/or unfit players or punts in the manner that Chelsea/Man City did in the early days of their transformations but without their ability to do it at a high enough level or indeed sustain it for years till you were taken seriously, was madness for a club like us. It was never going to work and all concerned deserve nothing but contempt for such a misguided and damaging policy that was simply hoping to mislead the fans and/or potential investors amongst others and hope above hope it might just short term raise the profile, strike lucky and fool enough people and the world beyond to buy into the myth and generate some self perpetuating perception of success that might just lead to real success in the end if enough buy into it. Long enough anyway to get them to their ultimate goal of selling out when the sniff of potential redevelopment opportunity took precedence over their little misleading game. Something akin to the Poly Peck or for those under 50 the Carillion philosophy of doing business, mislead and redirect to the message/image you want…. Or at least the barrow boy version. I guess for someone like Sullivan who literally has the dress sense of a Dictator never has the Emporors’s clothes ever been more apt.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Transfermarkt has us spending £67.05m v sales of £2.7m (ouch) so a net spend of £64.35m.

So £64.35m spent on Zouma and Vlasic, couple of youngsters, and loan fees, but let's not forget that there's also a commitment to spend a significant chunk more on Kral and Areola when their year loans finish.

It's a pretty significant investment for a club outside of the usual suspects, I think. It's what I was hoping for, but you don't always get what you want! It's decent.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Is there a definite obligation to buy Kral after his loan? Reports I've seen from anything vaguely connected with the club have all used the phrase "with a view to buy".
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:46 pm Is there a definite obligation to buy Kral after his loan? Reports I've seen from anything vaguely connected with the club have all used the phrase "with a view to buy".
I read in twitter (forget who but seemed respectable) there is an option but also an appearance based obligation ( like Dawson).
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:16 pm He's 38 the only club who will take him now is a night club.
You'd deny him a shot at breaking Sheringham's records?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:46 pm Is there a definite obligation to buy Kral after his loan? Reports I've seen from anything vaguely connected with the club have all used the phrase "with a view to buy".
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

BBC reckons no, it is an option. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58401688

My view is that it doesn't matter as he's clearly going to be so good that signing him will be a no-brainer.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

:newthumb:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Just before the loan was confirmed by WHUFC, there was a Tweet supposedly quoting (presumably a translation) the Spartak chairman, that it was an obligation to buy.

Rather than the ridiculous Zaza deal where, eportedly, we were obligated to buy after 10 appearances, gossip suggests this is more of a delayed permanent transfer. But I don't know why don't call it a transfer now and delay the payments til next year though. ???

Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:51 pm You'd deny him a shot at breaking Sheringham's records?
Depends how bad Teddy's singing is :grin: