The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 1060 likes
Total likes: 1296 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post by hammer1975 »

Peaches, good lists and always appreciate your input on championship up young players mate - but there are two or three things worth considering regarding this summer.

Firstly, I’m not convinced that the alleged £50m doesn’t already include assumptions about the sell price of certain players. Gold’s best mate website said a few months back that the budget would be the £20m Haller sale plus an expected £30-£35m from sales of Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmo. I reckon that’s closer for the truth than £50m plus sales.

Secondly - agent fees. They seem to run at c£10m per year, that will be out of the transfer budget.

Finally, timing. As we saw with the Diangana saga last year we will probably look to sell before we buy. If Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmo take until the last few weeks (as they probably will, if at all) then our owners have never really demonstrated the desire to ‘bridge the gap’ financially. Can see some of our targets going to clubs who offer up cash early in the window - see Eze last year.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

As others have mentioned, after the two CFs and Lingard, I would class LB as the highest priority for us this summer.

Cresswell is firmly a LCB now, and is a bit of a master stroke by Moyes again. We can probably get another 2-3 years out of him as CB depth now.

Masuaku is a really decent LWB, but not a great LB. We need a player to give us the flexibility to play different formations by being able to play both LB and LWB. Firpo on loan w/ an option to buy would be great. Could have a similar effect that Digne had on the Everton squad. I trust whoever Moyes wants to bring in.

Worrall would be fantastic for CB, he’s already a leader at 24 and Dyche (who knows defenders) is a big admirer. Would imagine he would cost even more than Matty Cash though.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 90 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Agreed on LB being a priority.

We actually don’t have a LB in the squad at all who’s of starting quality.

Cresswell - fine as back up LB and starting LCB in a 3.

Masuaku - fine as back up LW and starting LWB in a back 3 system.

Johnson - a right back.

Bring in a first choice LB who can defend and attack. It’s only been a position of need for 5 years... see what happened when we addressed the RB and CM positions, lo and behold we dramatically improved.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2790 likes
Total likes: 1253 likes

Post by EvilC »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:45 pm Realistic values
Randolph 1m
Balbuena 5m
Diop 12m
Lanzini 10m
Yarmolenko 5m
Anderson 8m

Around 40m for 6 players
There is nothing realistic about 10m for Lanzini. With Anderson I suspect we’d have to sub his wages. Same with Yarmolenko.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 462 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

Is it the same people that say Jao Mario is on a free that say we will get money for Balbuena? Jao Marino’s contract isn’t up, Balbuena’s is.

By the time we sub their wages we aren’t going to make much from Anderson or Yarmolenko either. Bit for Lanzini maybe, bit for Diop if we wanted to sell, Randolph is needed unless we bring in someone for a lot more and we aren’t making much there. You might get £8-10m for Masuaku from a club that plays with wing backs and we could get someone that plays left back well.

We’ve got at least another summer after this before we have anything like a complete squad.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 327 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:45 pm Realistic values
Randolph 1m
Balbuena 5m
Diop 12m
Lanzini 10m
Yarmolenko 5m
Anderson 8m

Around 40m for 6 players
Balbuena is out of contract isn't he?
Ozza
Has liked: 1029 likes
Total likes: 2608 likes

Post by Ozza »

He is, I do wonder how Hammermans brain works at times
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1230 likes
Total likes: 1575 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:07 pm Abraham and Lingard are worth about £40-£45m between them.
In January Man U valued Lingard at 10 mil... 1.4 m loan and essentially 2 mil in wages for 6 months extrapolated over 18 months is around 10 million.

Factor in his loan has been a success they might ask for more but they know if he doesn't move they will potentially lose out next season when he goes for free. With 4 million of wages an offer of 11 million represents 15 million for them. 16 mil is 20. I think it'll be closer to 11...despite other clubs probably being keen the last 6 months has probably turned it into a bit of a 1 horse race which Jesse will dictate if he wants to stay.

Can anyone seriously see Man U wanting to lose out on 15 mil for a player they don't really want given they'll need as much money as possible to bring in Sancho?

Abraham is similar. 24 before his contract expires so Chelsea miss out on any compensation when he leaves next summer. He's essentially said he'll be off, has effectively been frozen out and will be even more in the wilderness when Lukaku returns next year. Under 20 will be the starting bid from any club...he might go for a bit more but nowhere near double.

Burnley will be in a similar boat with Tarkowski... with him making it clear last summer he wanted to leave I wouldn't be surprised if they said he can go this summer to get his 'finger injury' healed quicker, which happened over night. 12 months left on his deal he'll probably go for half the number quoted last summer this summer.

Edouard too... 40 mil last year, 10 now... and he's said to be making a move where his first team chances are more certain. Milenkovic at Fiorentina too who wants a prem move and has told them he won't sign an extension

Players who are out of contract in 2022 are smart targets this window.
Last edited by westlondonhammer on Sun May 02, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westlondonhammer

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:57 pm Balbuena is out of contract isn't he?
Double or triple the amount then...
leer34
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by leer34 »

I hope there is some truth in the lemina links, absolutely ideal for what we need, good backup who with a good run of form can push rice and souchek,
If i remember right early on in his southampton career he was heavily linked with some of the top teams.
Quite strange as fulham have some decent players centrally in, anguisa, reed, lemina, wouldn't turn nose up at any of them as the 3rd cm.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1016 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

smuts wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:02 pm How many were saying that we can add the money saved in the winter to this summers budget? :lol:
Probably the handful of people that know you don't believe everything you read or hear in the media. :oops:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Ozza wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:00 pm Moyes rules us out of Abraham race at 40m, and says that might be our entire budget
And rightly so, 40m is a crazy amount for a player who can barely get a sniff of action at his current team and wants to leave. Chelsea probably pricing him out of a move anywhere. Plenty of other exciting targets we've been linked with: Toney, Hlozek, Sima, Armstrong etc.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

EvilC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:59 pm Not sure where to start. He has tried to operate at a top six club in this country and can’t get regular games, hence he needs to move down a level. And even so, we are currently in the top six.

We probably can’t afford him, but Jordan can still suck my plums.
Don't worry, I think most of us agree with you RE Abraham, and not Simon Jordan. If Abraham is struggling for minutes at Chelsea, then he'll likely have to move down a level, and we'd surely be at the top of that next tier down. So I'm not sure what Jordan is talking about.

But £40m sounds like a crazy price if that's what Chelsea are demanding.
Mayday
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Mayday »

Patrick van Aanholt is out contract this summer. Will be 31 in August but he is a good Left Back and on a freebie could be worthwhile in the short term while we spend what little money we have elsewhere on the pitch.

And I tell you what, Joao Mario is a very tidy footballer who is versatile in midfield and would not let us down at all. Remember he would be coming into more or less a completely different team and be playing with Rice, Soucek, hopefully Lingard, Fornals, Bowen, etc. He would be very, very useful to us and on a free, we could do much worse.

If we got:
Patrick Van Aanholt
Joao Mario
Nikola Maksimovic

All on freebies, and then spunked our money on Lingard, Toney, and either Edouard or Hlozek, I think I would consider that a very good window and it would certainly improve us and give us quality in depth.

I'd suggest that is only a GK away from actual potential contenders for something.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 327 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Mayday wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 pm Patrick van Aanholt is out contract this summer. Will be 31 in August but he is a good Left Back and on a freebie could be worthwhile in the short term while we spend what little money we have elsewhere on the pitch.

And I tell you what, Joao Mario is a very tidy footballer who is versatile in midfield and would not let us down at all. Remember he would be coming into more or less a completely different team and be playing with Rice, Soucek, hopefully Lingard, Fornals, Bowen, etc. He would be very, very useful to us and on a free, we could do much worse.

If we got:
Patrick Van Aanholt
Joao Mario
Nikola Maksimovic

All on freebies, and then spunked our money on Lingard, Toney, and either Edouard or Hlozek, I think I would consider that a very good window and it would certainly improve us and give us quality in depth.

I'd suggest that is only a GK away from actual potential contenders for something.
Joan Mario is under contract for another year I think.
Mayday
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Mayday »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 am Joan Mario is under contract for another year I think.
Not according to t'interweb he's not. It's up in June, as is van Aanholt and Maksimovic.
hammer1975
Has liked: 1060 likes
Total likes: 1296 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

funky chicken
Has liked: 326 likes
Total likes: 1260 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Can anyone on here that keeps foolishly thinking and saying Joao Mario is out of contract this coming summer kindly give their head a wobble please.

As for Van Aanholt, didn't he leave Sunderland under Moyes' management to join Palace? Can't see that one happening. As much as I'd like a left back I am not sure we'll bring one in full stop this summer. I can see that and goalkeeper being the positon that we need to strengthen but won't this summer as the owners always leave us that little bit short. I've not even seen us linked to any leftbacks recently, let alone any of the ITKs suggesting we want one.

How close is this Longelo to being more in the first team squad? He plays leftback for the u23s and will be 21 for his next birthday if i am nit mistaken. Is he not good enough to compete with Cresswell and Masuaku next season?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2178 likes
Total likes: 1910 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

About as much chance of Moyes signing Patrick Kluivert as there is of him signing Patrick Van Aanholt!
westlondonhammer

Unpopular opinion time

I think Moyes really rates Johnson and Trott

The game time Johnson has had this season and the number of times Trott has been on the bench over an outfield player for experience... as alternatives I think he see's them as very viable options and rather pay to have 'back up' players in those positions he'd much prefer to utilize those kids.