Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: Running

Post by Shabu »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:36 pm I thought this would be more relevant here than the covid thread...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/40ba ... 90687562db
Interesting.

No idea if I had it after Christmas as testing was a 4 hour wait here but I was laid up for a week.

Since then the Missus, who rarely gets any sickness, probably had it and I am struggling to complete 5k runs. I'm almost 2 minutes slower doing the exact same run that I did on December 23rd.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Definitely took me a while to get back to speed after having Covid. For me on the flat was ok, as soon as I hit a hilly section my lungs felt like they were on fire. Took a good few weeks for that feeling to go away.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Anyone got a decent scratch to 10km 8 week program they could share with me please?

Restarting my marathon training in May but want to get back up-to-speed before then following a bad ankle injury in 2020 followed by a very lazy back end of 2021 when I should have been getting out a lot more than I did.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Had a bit of a tight calf over the last 4-6 weeks but hasn't stopped me running. Played football on Sunday and got a kick exactly where it's been tight :furrow: Adrenaline got me through but since then I've been limping about. Hoping it's calmed down enough for me to get a run in tomorrow morning.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Denzil wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:02 pm Anyone got a decent scratch to 10km 8 week program they could share with me please?

Restarting my marathon training in May but want to get back up-to-speed before then following a bad ankle injury in 2020 followed by a very lazy back end of 2021 when I should have been getting out a lot more than I did.
Garmin Connect app has free ones. Really good coaches too.

There's also a fair few apps out there.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

25 days off the booze now and really enjoying my running again. Still a long way to go to get back to fitness but since I discovered this 5k route round a golf course I can't wait to get out there.

After having covid around chrimbo it felt like my breathing was laboured up until today's run. Actually managed to sprint at the end rather than stagger.

I did set myself a target of 80km this month and I'm only on 49km now so doubt I'll make it but I'm enjoying being out there and have the bridge run to train for in May. Hoping to finish in under 40 minutes.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

Great that you have found joy of run again Shabu, do not worry about milage, it is less important, the joy is must! :scarfer:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Did my first 10k on Monday since November. Good to get the bigger distance back in again. Time wasn't great, but my earphones kept playing up, so I spent too many seconds faffing around with my phone turning the bluetooth off and on.

Ended up buying new earphones, ones that are actually waterproof, as i think all the sweat has perhaps knackered the other ones. Bloody Air Pods an all :oops:
HammerDivOneSon
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by HammerDivOneSon »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm Did my first 10k on Monday since November. Good to get the bigger distance back in again. Time wasn't great, but my earphones kept playing up, so I spent too many seconds faffing around with my phone turning the bluetooth off and on.

Ended up buying new earphones, ones that are actually waterproof, as i think all the sweat has perhaps knackered the other ones. Bloody Air Pods an all :oops:
Awesome to hear mate! Bet you feel like a champion after that. Onwards and upwards!
MK3 HAMMER
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by MK3 HAMMER »

Good afternoon folks. I don't post very often so please be gentle with me :)

I'm mindful that this is very close to the recent sad passing of poor Isla so please forgive me if this seems a little sudden but I wondered if those of us that are running in any events this year might consider running in Isla's memory? I thought this could be an opportunity to keep Isla's memory alive and perhaps an opportunity to raise some money for a cause that was endorsed by Isla's family.

Just a thought for further discussion at the right time perhaps (apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it)
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

MK3 HAMMER wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:25 pm Good afternoon folks. I don't post very often so please be gentle with me :)

I'm mindful that this is very close to the recent sad passing of poor Isla so please forgive me if this seems a little sudden but I wondered if those of us that are running in any events this year might consider running in Isla's memory? I thought this could be an opportunity to keep Isla's memory alive and perhaps an opportunity to raise some money for a cause that was endorsed by Isla's family.

Just a thought for further discussion at the right time perhaps (apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it)

Fair shout MK :newthumb:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Picked up a pair of Pegasus Trail 3 GTX from EBay the other day and arrived yesterday. Looking forward to doing a bit of 'off road' running with them soon.

Going for £135 in JD Sports, and got them for £95 inc postage. Result!
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

bargain. if new ones. they are new, aren't they? :eyes:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Igor_E7 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:58 pm bargain. if new ones. they are new, aren't they? :eyes:
Brand spanking, in the nike box with correct tags.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Second time in last year I could not donate blood because of too low hemoglobin. I guess it has something to do with sport activities, I do running and gym stuff, my diet is alright I think (I am too lazy to do cooking stuff properly so I rely mainly on Huel and porridge).

Do you guys have some iron issues (nomen omen, best forum, haha). What's your approach then, do you supplement iron? Can you advice any particular brand?

This article looks good if anyone like me is looking for solution:

https://runnersconnect.net/iron-deficiency-in-runners/
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Igor_E7 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:49 pm Second time in last year I could not donate blood because of too low hemoglobin. I guess it has something to do with sport activities, I do running and gym stuff, my diet is alright I think (I am too lazy to do cooking stuff properly so I rely mainly on Huel and porridge).

Do you guys have some iron issues (nomen omen, best forum, haha). What's your approach then, do you supplement iron? Can you advice any particular brand?

This article looks good if anyone like me is looking for solution:

https://runnersconnect.net/iron-deficiency-in-runners/
If you use protein powder then try substituting whey powder for pea protein powder. It's rich in iron. So is dark chocolate. Get plenty of vitamin C too to help you absorb that plant based iron.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Went for a run today and its the best I've felt for a while. Hopefully I'm on the mend now and the only way is up.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Thanks Burnley Hammer, more chocolate, that's good advice :)

I do use protein powder, same type all the time which is Applied Nutrition Vegan Pro, blend combining soya protein isolate, pea protein isolate, brown rice protein and hemp protein. Altogether with huel twice a day it should easily covers my needs of iron. Anyway, I bought tablets with 105mg of iron, hope it will help.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just got a months free trial for Strava premium so thought I'd have a look at their fitness graph. They had my fitness scored as 92/100 back in September but currently sits at 31/100. Must get my arse in gear!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Today was a good day for running