Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: Running

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Went out the other day, and my right calf got progressively tighter, until i could no longer put my full weight on it. Was a bit tight before i went on holiday but thought the rest might do it some good. Did it f***.

Now i cant run. I've got some exercises to do, hopefully that will do the trick. :cried:
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:43 pm Went out the other day, and my right calf got progressively tighter, until i could no longer put my full weight on it. Was a bit tight before i went on holiday but thought the rest might do it some good. Did it ****.

Now i cant run. I've got some exercises to do, hopefully that will do the trick. :cried:
Get one of those handheld massage guns that look like an industrial dildo. You can get them for as little as $50 in shops here. Probably cheaper if you look around.

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Yeah got one of them Shabs. The wife gave it a good going over the other night, felt a bit better for an hour and then that was it.

Got some exercises to do, see if that helps.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Bought some of that Kinesiology tape and whacked that on my calf this morning. Did a 2.5k and it felt ok. Could feel it, but nowhere near enough for me to need to stop.

Will rest it tomorrow, and go out and do similar again Thursday. :fxd:
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

I'm in the same boat, went out a couple of weeks ago and could feel my achilles tightening about mile 5, had to do 9 to get home, so I'll have to see how the marathon goes on Sunday, might risk a very slow one on Friday to see and just load up on painkillers.

Also got a cough I caught in Gent..
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I've had a shitarse chest infection for the last two weeks so barely walked let alone exercise.

Did a lovely, very slow, 10k on the beach today & it feels so good having slightly jelly legs again.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Did 6.4k yesterday. Again i could feel the calf but not enough for me to stop. Was hard work though. Crazy how you can lose your stamina so quickly. It felt more like 10k.

Feeling a bit sore today, but not limping or anything. Sports massage in the morning :coolas:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Did the 10k on Tuesday, a little 2k on Wednesday (both on the beach) then a 5k yesterday & went to work for the 1st time in 17 days.

Ended up doing over 26,000 steps yesterday, or 21.5km - over half a marathon.

Was going to cycle this morning but think I need to realise I'm 54 & not overdo it so off to the gym for some stretching & shake therapy. That's one of those cubicles I stand in with lights glowing & the floor shaking. Sounds weird but it really loosens the body up. Great after a tough couple of days working out & also helps protect my fair skin against skin cancer.

Hopefully cycle tomorrow before work. I need to get back into it.
Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

I haven't done an update in awhile.

After a slow start to April, I finished quite strong. At the end of the month I had completed 98.2 km. Annoyed about that last 1.8 km to get over 100 for the first time. Also did a very slow 22 km, I wanted to have an easy base time to beat for the upcoming half marathon on Sunday, May 7th.

Unfortunately, this last weekend, I tweaked my knee a little bit at work. At in some really shitty weather, and I haven't been out running since Thursday. Life really has a bad habit of getting in the way whenever I have something planned. If all goes well at the half marathon, which I believe it will, the plan is a marathon in October. I will sign up for the Niagara Falls marathon. It starts in the USA and finishes on the Canadian side of the Falls after a long run down the riverfront. Will make a weekend family trip out of it.

Anyways, wish me luck for the half.

P.S. Do any of you guys use Garmin?
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Since lockdown, I’d totally lost my ability to run. I’m in my early fifties and my knees just don’t work like they used to.

I used to do at least two half marathons and a marathon every year, but for the past few years I’ve struggled to accept that I just can’t run how I used to. The end result has been that I’ve done nothing.

In truth, I’ve found it hard to accept that I’m no longer able to improve as a runner. But over the past couple of weeks I’ve dug out my trainers and started again. Only managing a couple of miles at snails pace, but it’s great to be back. Laughably slow, doing 15 minute miles, but failing to accept that I’m never going to be running 6 minute miles again is what has stopped me. I’m slow now, I know that.

Hopefully, now I’ve finally accepted this, I can start enjoying running again and forget about PBs that will be impossible to achieve.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. »

Good for you mate. Must be hard to accept if you’re a competitive chap but at the end of the day, your body might not be as strong but you can bet your last pound you’re wiser. The fact you’ve dusted off your trainers means you’re doing more than most in your age range.
Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

Good job APD...... Getting back into something is never easy, but always rewarding when you improve.

I finished my first Half in 2 hours and 13 mins. Was pretty disappointed with my time as I was hoping for closer to 2 hours, but I will try again. The good news is, I think I might be finding a new addiction. Have already signed up for another half in September, and then will try my first full in November.

I will spend the next month and a half doing sprints, and hill running to concentrate on my strength, and then will move into a marathon training regimen. Couldn't be more excited.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:38 pmHopefully, now I’ve finally accepted this, I can start enjoying running again and forget about PBs that will be impossible to achieve.
Pre pandemic, I was a 1h 40m half marathon runner, and would do 800-1200 miles a year. I've managed 150 miles or so this year, which is terrible by my old standards, and I'd be lucky to get under 2 hours for a half. But as you say, there's little point in trying to measure yourself by your old standards, so I might as well just try to enjoy myself as best I can and not worry too much about performance.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. »

Yeah having taken up running 'properly' a year or so ago, I was trying to compare myself to some of my pals who have ran marathons and Triathlons! Properly ego-driven, that! :crylol:

I've always been ultra sporty and am an avid long-distance hiker but never really got the running bug. It was actually watching that film again "Run Fat Boy Run" that encouraged me to click on a few links and get some decent trainers (not that I'm a fatty, mind!). Weird how things can tip you over the edge.

I've now accepted that it'll take me between 55 mins and an hour to run a 10k and it'll take me around 2 hours to run a half. I was beating myself by trying to be faster but then came to realise there's little point in not trying to enjoy it first and foremost. So I've been changing my routes and lifting up my head to look at the scenery instead - so much better!

Over a week I'm running three times and between 30k and 40k in total. I throw-in two Apple Fitness+ yoga's in between in an attempt to keep me flexible (which is a challenge, to be fair!). I'll also be getting one of those weight boxes with the dumbbells etc incorporated once we move and I can get a few invoices paid. Definitely need to ensure I maintain strength as I near my mid-forties.

Love it!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I tried running yesterday but think I may be suffering a bit of burnout. It was a horrid run and I felt shattered before I'd even managed 500 metres. My legs felt like they were made of lead. I have started going back to the gym 3 days a week - I spend an hour in the gym each time doing a full body workout. I think with the runs I'm doing on top, I'm just overdoing it and not allowing my body to recover. I'm almost 47 and I think I need to accept that my powers of recovery aren't quite as good as they used to be.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

That's exactly why I stopped running at all, I do not have a physical capacity to do both, running and lifting, I had to chose one :(
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Igor_E7 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:19 pm That's exactly why I stopped running at all, I do not have a physical capacity to do both, running and lifting, I had to chose one :(
I think the weights would have to go if I had to choose one or the other.

I still think I could manage both though. I'm doing heavy leg exercises at the gym and then running when not at the gym - so the legs just aren't getting a break. I think I'll just do legs at the gym once a week and limit my workouts to upper body the other 2 days.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

Actually I think I can try running again a bit. I am in my second week after a split change; previously I had been doing gym 3 times a week and every time I did some heavy legs workout, now I do gym 4 times but only twice I hit my legs, so I think there is some extra space for running, at least once a week. Let's try :)
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

I did four miles on Sunday, averaging 12 and a half minutes per mile. Laughably slow, but it was a lovely day and I really enjoyed it. My legs are still very heavy today.

So I’ve got a reason to avoid slacking off, I’ve gone in the ballot for the London Marathon and signed up for the Bristol Half Marathon next May. I doubt I’ll get in the Marathon, but the Bristol half is confirmed.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

pablo jaye wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:36 am I had to stop running 3 years ago as I’d developed central spinal stenosis - basically discs touching my spine and causing numbness down the backs of my legs and feet when I was walking/running. Essentially my veribrae are narrower than normal so less space for my spinal cord.

When it first kicked off, I couldn’t walk more than a couple of hundred metres without the numbness starting and started using a walking pole. Extreme discomfort rather than pain and I felt like I was wearing Wallace and Gromits Wrong Trousers. I could ride a bike and do gardening so it wasn’t totally doing my nut in. However, I did worry a lot about doing stuff that involved walking.

Over the last year, I’ve been gradually increasing walking without a pole, and am now up to 5k. For the past few weeks I’ve even started going back to parkrun, which I used to do regularly before my back problems kicked in. I don’t run, but walk briskly … more of a parkshuffle!

I’m as pleased as punch that I am back doing it and out in the fresh air.

Didn’t think it was worth starting a ‘Shuffling’ thread but maybe could have gone in the mental health thread.
A couple of weeks ago, I had a follow up appointment with a consultant surgeon who has been reviewing the MRI scans for my spinal stenosis. Apparently there has been no further deterioration with my spine and he asked me how I was getting on and if there was anything that I was still not doing.

I mentioned running, and given the fact that I can walk reasonable distances now, he suggested that I gradually introduced short sections of running (at my pace, it’s more like shuffling) into my walks. Have been doing that over the past couple of weeks, and it’s going OK so far. Probably doing about 50% running out of 2-3 miles.

One thing that I do realise, is how much benefit it’s doing for my mental health … I feel a big weight lifted from my shoulders, just need to do the same for my belly!!