Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Re: Running

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I used to do 150+ miles a month, can barely manage a mile without feeling shagged these days. Think I’m going to stick to cycling for a month or so before I revisit running.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:46 pm I used to do 150+ miles a month, can barely manage a mile without feeling shagged these days. Think I’m going to stick to cycling for a month or so before I revisit running.
Can take a good while to build up fitness but no time at all to lose it. Even worse when you are older.

Yesterday i felt every bit of my 45 years as i slogged my way round the park in the wind and rain. I need to shift about half a stone. Tough in my house when your wife is a feeder and it's still full of left over xmas chocolate.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've started running again but avoiding the hills for the moment. I've had a virus over Christmas and I can't quite shake off this last bit of catarrh which is causing a bit of wheezing if I push myself too hard. I'm hoping the fact I've just started eating properly again after 2 weeks of eating utter junk will help me finally shake it off.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Starting training for the marathon now, I'd forgotten what a slog it is on the dark wet cold mornings.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Manchester marathon up next for me, and then looking at Valencia in December for the second of the year.

Aim is to go under 3.10 at Manchester and try to go as close as possible to 3 at Valencia.
Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

Struggled through a 5 km run yesterday, but by the end of it was starting to feel a bit better. Gaining some confidence for the half marathon in May, barring a shitty canadian winter, or injuries hurting my training.

After the run, I got back home to my 10 year old wanting to go out for a run(she wants to run the 800m for track in school. She is much more athletic than I am.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Been looking at getting some adizero adios 7 and start pounding the streets, are they worth it?
On sale £78 down from £120.
Centre Half

Post by Centre Half »

Arnold Layne wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:20 pm Been looking at getting some adizero adios 7 and start pounding the streets, are they worth it?
On sale £78 down from £120.
They are a speed shoe, best used for quick repetitions. They aren’t very versatile and won’t give you much protection.

Are you a new runner? If so, I’d be looking for a versatile shoe that can do it all well (i.e long runs, quick work, easy runs).

I think you might be able to pick up the Puma Velocity Nitro 2 on discount for a similar price which is a decent all rounder.

You can also get the pegasus 39 for around a similar price on discount at the moment.

Edit: Just looked, on Start fitness you can get the velocity nitro 2 for £50 at the moment, possibly with another 10% off if you use the discount code FORDYRUNS. That’s an absolute bargain for a decent all rounder shoe.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Thanks for the reply, the reason I was looking at adidas is because I received a £100 gift card for my birthday today and was impressed with how the adizero was made on ‘The Secret Genius of Modern Life’ TV show, any adidas recommendations?
Centre Half

Post by Centre Half »

Arnold Layne wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:35 pm Thanks for the reply, the reason I was looking at adidas is because I received a £100 gift card for my birthday today and was impressed with how the adizero was made on ‘The Secret Genius of Modern Life’ TV show, any adidas recommendations?
Adidas do amazing running shoes for racing, but probably do lack a decent ‘daily trainer’ (everyday all rounder).

Your best bets for Adidas will be the Boston 11, which is capable of doing it all, but probably more geared to tempo sort of paces. Not sure if it’s discounted on adidas.com or not currently. If you do go Boston, I suggest sizing up a minimum of a half size as it’s quite a narrow fit (I’ve got the Boston 10).

Other one to look at is the Adizero SL which are newly released,I actually got a pair for Christmas. I quite like it, I think it ticks a lot of boxes as an all rounder but it’s quite a firm ride, which I don’t mind but some people prefer more cushioning. I got half a size up and the fit is fine.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

First Parkrun of the year. A slow plod round in the wind and rain. Its been 6 months since I've done 5k due to a foot injury. I have to say I'm already feeling so much better for it. Didn't realise how much I'd missed it.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Hammer1966 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:46 am First Parkrun of the year. A slow plod round in the wind and rain.
I went out Saturday morning (usually go later on a Saturday as I'm not at work) and I went through my local park which had Parkrun going on. I had some bemused looks when i was not sticking to the course route :grin:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I used to be a fair runner, could run a 10km in my lunch hour at work and still have time for a shower afterwards. Haven't done much over the past year, but the bug bit me on Sunday morning (it went unrequited, there was a gale outside) that makes me think it might be something I try and get back to a bit.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Proper depths of winter running atm, start and finish in the pitch black (thats home at 7:30 btw so not exactly a really early start). Don't see too many other idiots out at that time :crossed:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I had a great long run on Sunday - my first half marathon distance for a while - across muddy, waterlogged fields. I looked a right state when I got back home. Just for good measure I got caught in hail and torrential rain during the last few km.

I loved it!
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I lost a few stone in my 40s during which I was very careful with food and ran 5k about 3 times a week.

Now in 50s and weight back on. I've been going to gym a year doing weights and exercise bike. I've upped it this year and have started running again on treadmill.

Some days it's great and I feel elated whereas other days I feel plain knackered and don't do as much as I hoped.

My blood pressure is good but I try not to go over 85% of my maximum heart rate due to a mate the same age having a heart attack which he survived while running. He was fitter than me by the way.

Do you all have those hard days where running is difficult or am I just getting old?
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. »

Knocked out 50km since the start of the year (x5 10k’s) and will be 60km on Sunday.

Not sure has happened but something in me has clicked and I’m now running 5 or 6 minutes faster than I was a few months ago. Very marginal adjustments to my running position (leaning forward a bit more) but that’s about it.

Aim is to clear 100km every month, injuries permitting.

Keep at it guys - gets easier.
bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:22 pm Do you all have those hard days where running is difficult or am I just getting old?
Yeah of course, but these are the days I relish. Knowing that I’ll beat my lazy mind at his own games and shut him up. Feel much prouder when I finished a run “I” didn’t want to do.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Did my first run since New Years Day just now. A 5k loop I do round a golf course.

Yesterday I did tabata treadmill hill sprints (which I've been doing about 3 times a week) then tabata rowing then dumbbell squats.

The run was tough today. My hips & knees hurt & I wasn't breathing as deeply as I'd like.

Still ran the whole way & finished in 31:23 which was about 3 minutes quicker than I thought I'd run. Came as a bit of a shock.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Another slow 5k in the wind and rain at Parkrun. Also managed to get a 3k run in during the week. Slowly building it up. The sense of achievement when I actually get my shoes on and walk out the front door is worth the effort, especially when the weather is as filthy as it is now.

Keep it up everyone. It helps knowing others are also getting out.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Hammer1966 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:46 am Another slow 5k in the wind and rain at Parkrun. Also managed to get a 3k run in during the week. Slowly building it up. The sense of achievement when I actually get my shoes on and walk out the front door is worth the effort, especially when the weather is as filthy as it is now.

Keep it up everyone. It helps knowing others are also getting out.
I keep meaning to do a parkrun. I wish they weren't so early in the day.