Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: Running

Post by bracknellhammer »

What an experience!!! Went down with a cold on Thursday and felt like poo on Saturday. Dosed myself up in the hope that I was ok for Sunday. Certainly wasn’t nowhere near 100% (as an asthmatic, any cold I have heads straight for the chest) but I was able to get 14 miles in before I really started to feel it. Stupidly had a flapjack which ultimately dried my mouth out!! Had a gel that nearly made me vomit. Decided to power walk and run when I could from there on. Happy that I was able to run for the last mile and a bit.

4:46:51 was slower than I was planning on (4:30) but I was happy to get home in under 5 hours.

Already entered the ballot for next year.

Well done to all who did this and the virtual one.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

bracknellhammer wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:47 pm What an experience!!! Went down with a cold on Thursday and felt like poo on Saturday. Dosed myself up in the hope that I was ok for Sunday. Certainly wasn’t nowhere near 100% (as an asthmatic, any cold I have heads straight for the chest) but I was able to get 14 miles in before I really started to feel it. Stupidly had a flapjack which ultimately dried my mouth out!! Had a gel that nearly made me vomit. Decided to power walk and run when I could from there on. Happy that I was able to run for the last mile and a bit.

4:46:51 was slower than I was planning on (4:30) but I was happy to get home in under 5 hours.

Already entered the ballot for next year.

Well done to all who did this and the virtual one.
:newthumb:
MK3 HAMMER
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by MK3 HAMMER »

Saw a couple fellow hammers running the VLM yesterday. Bellowed come on you irons into the ear of a fella with a West Ham top on and cross hammers to a fella with a West Ham ABC vest on :hamm: :lol:
HammerDivOneSon
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by HammerDivOneSon »

Congrats to all!

Managed to hobble round in 3:59:05 so was pretty happy my sub 4 hr training plan worked...just!

It's an incredible day. And to those of you that lined the streets and shouted words of encouragement, I can't thank you enough. You really make the difference when you're running through Struggle City.

Already entered the ballot for next year also! Bug firmly caught.

Only downside to the day was getting to the pub after and seeing us concede a 90+ min goal...

Hoping to see this thread continue with some running antics through the winter. Bravo fellow hammers! :hamm:
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

HammerDivOneSon wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 am Congrats to all!

Managed to hobble round in 3:59:05 so was pretty happy my sub 4 hr training plan worked...just!

It's an incredible day. And to those of you that lined the streets and shouted words of encouragement, I can't thank you enough. You really make the difference when you're running through Struggle City.

Only downside to the day was getting to the pub after and seeing us concede a 90+ min goal...

Hoping to see this thread continue with some running antics through the winter. Bravo fellow hammers! :hamm:
Under 4 hours in brilliant. Well done, mate.
HammerDivOneSon

Paris Marathon in April 2022 anyone?

Paris Marathon 2022
MK3 HAMMER

Post by MK3 HAMMER »

HammerDivOneSon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:06 am Paris Marathon in April 2022 anyone?

Paris Marathon 2022
I'm in :scarfer: Booked my hotel yesterday. It's 2 days before my birthday so a long weekend planned :smiler:
MK3 HAMMER

Post by MK3 HAMMER »

HammerDivOneSon wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 am Congrats to all!

Great time. I got 3:59:00 :shake:
HammerDivOneSon

MK3 HAMMER wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 pm Great time. I got 3:59:00 :shake:
Awesome effort mate, congrats! I had to stop for a 'comfort break' after about 10k, so I'll have the 5 seconds on you in Paris :winker: :winker:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Well done to all who did the Marathon :clap:

I signed up for Brighton in April, i had enough of the Ballot Rejections for London. I did London in 2015 and missed my sub 4 hour target by 31 seconds and still haunted to this day! Trained for Valencia a couple of years back and got injured in the buld up but was running on course for a sub 3:45 so making that my new target.

What is everyones trainer of choice?
I was suffering with shin splints and plantar fascistis so changed to Hoka which has incredible cushioning for long runs but also still fairly lighweight for speed.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1583 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

The Gibbins wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm What is everyones trainer of choice?
I was suffering with shin splints and plantar fascistis so changed to Hoka which has incredible cushioning for long runs but also still fairly lighweight for speed.
What are they? Sounds scary!

I run in asics nimbus and I enjoy it
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Igor_E7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:41 pm What are they? Sounds scary!

I run in asics nimbus and I enjoy it
Plantar fasciitis is horrible, mate. I've had it about 6 years although it's manageable now. Got it from doing burpees barefoot like an idiot.

Inserts in all my shoes and special flip flops all but cured it
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Massive fan of the Nimbus, done some of my best runs in them but I found them a bit on the heavy side compared to Hokas.

Plantar Fasciitis is an injury to the Heel, think its stress related and i got it when i was upping my distance too quickly. Best way i can describe it is a shooting pain from the heel along the outside of the foot, can be unbearable to walk on. Its a thick band of tissue and can get inflamed.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Shabu wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:53 pm Plantar fasciitis is horrible, mate. I've had it about 6 years although it's manageable now. Got it from doing burpees barefoot like an idiot.

Inserts in all my shoes and special flip flops all but cured it
Yeah that would do it! Think its most common with Basketball players and Dancers jumping on hard surfaces, but pounding the concrete for miles doesnt help either i guess.

Andy Carroll actually suffered with it quite badly as well, i suppose all that jumping for long balls under Big Sam :grin:
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

The Gibbins wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:53 pm Massive fan of the Nimbus, done some of my best runs in them but I found them a bit on the heavy side compared to Hokas.

Plantar Fasciitis is an injury to the Heel, think its stress related and i got it when i was upping my distance too quickly. Best way i can describe it is a shooting pain from the heel along the outside of the foot, can be unbearable to walk on. Its a thick band of tissue and can get inflamed.
Oh dear, sounds like horrible pain, sorry to hear! Which hokas you use? I will have to change for a new pair in couple of 100s, maybe I could check your choice
MK3 HAMMER

Post by MK3 HAMMER »

I wear Adidas, have done for years, but I couldn't resist picking up a pair of new balance at the expo, I'm a glutton for official race merchandise :-)
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Another Asics man here :wolfy:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Igor_E7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:49 pm Oh dear, sounds like horrible pain, sorry to hear! Which hokas you use? I will have to change for a new pair in couple of 100s, maybe I could check your choice
i wear the Hoka Clifton 7, i believe the Clifton 8's are out now
I am tempted to get the Hoka Mach 4 as my next trainer however as all the Hoka fans are raving about them

The Hokas have quite a thick soul but they are very comfy to run, definitely worth trying them out at least
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Mach 4 have great reviews, I think I'll give them a try! Thanks for recommendation!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

No problem, i think im going to get the Mach 4's in a few weeks. My clifton 7's are reaching the 300 mile mark but still look like they have another 200 hundred miles in them they are so robust. I will keep them in the rotation for the slow distance runs.

It all comes down to preference, some people prefer a firmer shoe with more response on the ground. I always run better with cushioned shoes, anything firm and less shock absorbent and im an injury waiting to happen :rofl: