Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MitchamRob
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Re: Running

Post by MitchamRob »

Tried running a few years back pre covid managed the couch to 5k and then started to get my times a bit quicker. 1st time around 40 mins so not the quickest. Got down to 36 mins then broke my ankle and have back issues so needed to lose weight to try and sort myself out (was 16st 8) I'm 6ft and 52 and notlw weighing in at 13st 5 so tomorrow is going to be day 1 again. Should I go straight for a 5k or try 3k?
BrisbaneRoad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

MitchamRob wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:58 pm Tried running a few years back pre covid managed the couch to 5k and then started to get my times a bit quicker. 1st time around 40 mins so not the quickest. Got down to 36 mins then broke my ankle and have back issues so needed to lose weight to try and sort myself out (was 16st 8) I'm 6ft and 52 and notlw weighing in at 13st 5 so tomorrow is going to be day 1 again. Should I go straight for a 5k or try 3k?
I would defo aim for 3k to start. Start with some run/walks. Say 2mins of each (x5) and build up. Well done for losing the weight it will certainly be noticeable on the joints. Take it easy and remember enjoyment is the ultimate aim fitness will come in time
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

MitchamRob wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:58 pm Tried running a few years back pre covid managed the couch to 5k and then started to get my times a bit quicker. 1st time around 40 mins so not the quickest. Got down to 36 mins then broke my ankle and have back issues so needed to lose weight to try and sort myself out (was 16st 8) I'm 6ft and 52 and notlw weighing in at 13st 5 so tomorrow is going to be day 1 again. Should I go straight for a 5k or try 3k?
As Brisbane said mate. Baby steps. Build it back up slowly. Good luck and let us know how you get on :newthumb:
MitchamRob
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by MitchamRob »

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I'd already been out before I read them. Managed to do 5k but did have three walking spells of around a minute a time. Finished in 40 minutes so very happy with that, will try again in a few days and see how it goes. Cheers all COYI'S :hamm:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

MitchamRob wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:38 pm Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I'd already been out before I read them. Managed to do 5k but did have three walking spells of around a minute a time. Finished in 40 minutes so very happy with that, will try again in a few days and see how it goes. Cheers all COYI'S :hamm:
Perfectly acceptable to take mini walking breaks whilst getting back up to speed - especially when it's this warm.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think I picked the wrong time to go for a long run today. Don't think I've ever sweat that much before!
BrisbaneRoad

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

MitchamRob wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:38 pm Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I'd already been out before I read them. Managed to do 5k but did have three walking spells of around a minute a time. Finished in 40 minutes so very happy with that, will try again in a few days and see how it goes. Cheers all COYI'S :hamm:
Well done mate. Rest is key but try to add in some active recovery to. Such as a walk or some stretches
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

:newthumb:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Christ, it’s hot today. Lost 4lbs on a 4 mile run, keep hydrated gents!
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:27 pm Christ, it’s hot today. Lost 4lbs on a 4 mile run, keep hydrated gents!
I was just contemplating going for a run. Might keep it short - 5k max. To be honest, it's probably cooler out there than it is in the conservatory where I've been attempting to work all day.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:18 pm I was just contemplating going for a run. Might keep it short - 5k max. To be honest, it's probably cooler out there than it is in the conservatory where I've been attempting to work all day.
I’ve been in my garden office all day. Switched on the AC when I got back so it’s “only” 27C in here now.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

10.3k Sat, 6.1k Mon and 7.5k this morning. That's about 5/6k more than I would usually do in that time period, so safe to say my knees are feeling it a bit now :arry:

Will go out again Friday, but will probably just do 5k, then rest for the weekend.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm planning 10k tomorrow and then a couple of days rest before another 28k around the local countryside. Just one week to go after that before I have a go at the 31k Edale Skyline. Or I might leave it an extra week in the hope that somebody buys me a pair of Hoka Speedgoats for my birthday.
BrisbaneRoad

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:18 pm I'm planning 10k tomorrow and then a couple of days rest before another 28k around the local countryside. Just one week to go after that before I have a go at the 31k Edale Skyline. Or I might leave it an extra week in the hope that somebody buys me a pair of Hoka Speedgoats for my birthday.
If you need a discount code for sportsshies.com I have one!
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

BrisbaneRoad wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:26 am If you need a discount code for sportsshies.com I have one!
Cheers - just had a look and it looks like they haven't started selling the new version 5's yet
BrisbaneRoad

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:14 am Cheers - just had a look and it looks like they haven't started selling the new version 5's yet
PM me if you ever need a code
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just managed to do 30k in the sun - my longest one yet. I honestly think my body was on the verge of falling apart during the last 5k
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I seem to be finally on the cusp of adjusting my stride and cadence so I can run a bit more slowly and consistently. Rather pleased, if a bit sad that the days of 100 minute 20k’s seem to be consigned to the past.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Looks like their could be supply issues with the new speedgoat 5's - especially the wide fit which I need. I'm not sure how patient I am. I need high cushioning due to my crap feet so the alternatives I'm looking at now are:

Altra Olympus 4
Brooks Cascadia 16
Hoka Mafate Speed 3

Has anyone ever used any of the above? I've favouring the Cascadia as it comes with a rock plate - but annoyingly that's the only one out of the three that isn't offering a pay in 3 installments option
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

I don’t run but I’ve been hiking in Altras (Lone Peak 4.5‘s) for a year or so now.

More than happy. They're like slippers.

They have a zero drop which I like.