Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Re: Running

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:43 pm As much as I'd love to put these ankle/shin issues down to age, I'm convinced that the problem lies elsewhere and this does sound like it could be the culprit. After writing that post, I did a little run with someone stood behind watching the way I was running. They confirmed what I suspected... that my feet were crossing over and therefore the legs are angled when the feet land - which apparently causes abnormal stress on the hips and ankles.
Bummer. What can you do about it? Train yourself to run in a different way?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:10 pm Bummer. What can you do about it? Train yourself to run in a different way?
Apparently so... although I'd have to start off with short runs. I've had a little go at running differently and it just feels really weird and unnatural.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1873 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Had an excellent sleep last night (nearly 10 hours) and felt like a run this morning. Tried 10k for the first time in (I think) years, and although my pace was horrendous, I was pretty surprised by how smoothly it went. Perhaps I'm not so far from regaining some fitness than I thought. I reckon a couple months and I'd be back under 50 minutes for 10k, maybe I'll give it a try.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm Had an excellent sleep last night (nearly 10 hours) and felt like a run this morning. Tried 10k for the first time in (I think) years, and although my pace was horrendous, I was pretty surprised by how smoothly it went. Perhaps I'm not so far from regaining some fitness than I thought. I reckon a couple months and I'd be back under 50 minutes for 10k, maybe I'll give it a try.
My issue is always trying to keep the pace down on longer runs. I find it really difficult. Did 13k back in October which is the furthest I'd ran since a half marathon 18 years ago and I actually managed it. Time wasn't actually too shabby either which was weird as I thought I was going mega slow.

Need to give that another go, as I'd like to do a HM again.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Was on 73.5k for the month and wanted to do 80k, so went out 2nd day in a row and bashed out a 7.4k. Took it a bit slower and managed to maintain it. Lovely stuff. 1 or 2 days off now to let the legs get some rest.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

After regaining my running mojo, I'm going to head up the Peak District next week and try a trail run there... the one I've planned is around 14k and 900m of ascent. If that goes well then I think the next step is to have a go at running the Edale Skyline. And if that goes well... Yorkshire 3 Peaks, here we come! (again). Being able to do trail running in the hills is the whole reason I got into running in the first place.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

How much hydration do you think I'd need for a 23k trail run over hills? I have a small 1l hydration pack and can carry a 500ml bottle of lucozade... do you think this will be enough or should I upgrade to a 2l pack for runs of this length? Most people let thirst be their guide but sadly I'm one of those people that never feel thirsty and need to force themselves to drink otherwise I'd go most of the day without touching a drop.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:57 pm How much hydration do you think I'd need for a 23k trail run over hills? I have a small 1l hydration pack and can carry a 500ml bottle of lucozade... do you think this will be enough or should I upgrade to a 2l pack for runs of this length? Most people let thirst be their guide but sadly I'm one of those people that never feel thirsty and need to force themselves to drink otherwise I'd go most of the day without touching a drop.
Any idea on what the weather will be like? As if it’s warm you’ll want to take on more liquids.

If it’s mild and you’re not that fussed then what you are planning to take will probably be fine.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:09 pm Any idea on what the weather will be like? As if it’s warm you’ll want to take on more liquids.

If it’s mild and you’re not that fussed then what you are planning to take will probably be fine.
According to the forecasts I'm probably looking at 12 degrees on lower ground and 8 degrees at the highest points
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Had my first run, other than treadmill hill sprints, in ten weeks today since crushing my toes at work.

Surprisingly I did it in my normal time and, even though I was trying to start slow, my first 2ks were quicker than usual.

When I started running my left hip and right knee were hurting. They feel bloody Marvellous now.

Three weeks left till my 4 mile bridge run. Hopefully i can do it in around 40 minutes.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Shabu wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:04 am Had my first run, other than treadmill hill sprints, in ten weeks today since crushing my toes at work.

Surprisingly I did it in my normal time and, even though I was trying to start slow, my first 2ks were quicker than usual.

When I started running my left hip and right knee were hurting. They feel bloody Marvellous now.

Three weeks left till my 4 mile bridge run. Hopefully i can do it in around 40 minutes.
:newthumb:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Signed up for this today. Should be interesting!

https://www.spitfirescramble.co.uk/
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I have quadriceps tendonitis and my right knee is twice the size of my left one
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:27 am I have quadriceps tendonitis and my right knee is twice the size of my left one
That's not good!

I'd strongly recommend resting it for a couple of weeks and giving it regular ice therapy, going on a course of anti-inflammatories for a week or two, and wearing a compression sleeve. And then whilst doing that, go see a good physio to see what your treatment options are. Passive stretching may help but I'd avoid that until inflammation has gone gone down.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:40 am That's not good!

I'd strongly recommend resting it for a couple of weeks and giving it regular ice therapy, going on a course of anti-inflammatories for a week or two, and wearing a compression sleeve. And then whilst doing that, go see a good physio to see what your treatment options are. Passive stretching may help but I'd avoid that until inflammation has gone gone down.
Wearing a compression sleeve. Unfortunately on my feet all day at work. Off on holiday this weekend for 6 days so will try to take it easy.

Bridge run is in 18 days so I doubt if I'll get any running in before then.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'll be attempting my hardest run so far tomorrow with a 23k trail run in the Peak District and over 900m of ascent. I have a little worry in that my ankle has felt a bit iffy recently so I've spent the last few days giving it ice treatment along with voltarol gel. Hopefully it'll hold out.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:57 pm How much hydration do you think I'd need for a 23k trail run over hills? I have a small 1l hydration pack and can carry a 500ml bottle of lucozade... do you think this will be enough or should I upgrade to a 2l pack for runs of this length? Most people let thirst be their guide but sadly I'm one of those people that never feel thirsty and need to force themselves to drink otherwise I'd go most of the day without touching a drop.
I'd stick to the 1l, I've done plenty of half marathons with no liquids with no worries.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1873 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I used to knock out a half marathon before work without water or food, just a cup of coffee 30 mins before. Not necessarily the best way to do it, but unless it's very hot out, you should be fine with 1l of water. Maybe one of them energy gel pouches, but include them in your training, so your stomach's used to it.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Well as it turned out, thanks to a day of pure sunshine that the met office didn't forecast and I was unprepared for, I needed every last drop of that 1 lite and could have done with more. The 900 metres of ascent on the route added an extra hour on and most likely meant a lot more calories burnt. I made the mistake of using far too much energy getting up that first hill and felt like I paid for it for the rest of the run. Legs were like jelly for the last 10k.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

A pain in my left knee has appeared from nowhere. I haven’t even run for about 5-6 days (work and other commitments).

Going to test it out today. May stick a support on to be on the safe side :arry:

Not the 10,000th post I’d hoped for. Oh well!