Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: Running

Post by Arch Dandy »

I wear the new Brooks Ghost and love them, I usually take ages to get used to a pair of trainers but these were great from the first run.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I've run every other day for approx 6 weeks now and this morning was run day. Just could not get up for it, and I went to bed early and had no booze either. Weird how it goes, but maybe i'll go after work :asleep:
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1573 likes
Total likes: 277 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

The Gibbins wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:05 pm It all comes down to preference, some people prefer a firmer shoe with more response on the ground. I always run better with cushioned shoes, anything firm and less shock absorbent and im an injury waiting to happen :rofl:
I hear you. My very first 500-800 kms I ran in adidas torsion allegra. I am not even sure if they are running shoes? It was quite hard and I felt my feet and knees after every single run. When I first ran in my nimbus shoes I felt like wow, that's completely different story now! :)
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:22 pm I've run every other day for approx 6 weeks now and this morning was run day. Just could not get up for it, and I went to bed early and had no booze either. Weird how it goes, but maybe i'll go after work :asleep:
Take it easy Cockney boy! From time to time we deserve extra day off :)
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Every other day is a lot for running, do you go full out or do slow runs?
I need to embrace the slow runs more, i dont do enough of them but a lot of good runners swear by them for strengthening and fitness.

On another note, ordered some Mach 4's as the reviews are too good, they should arrive for my lunch time run tomorrow. Excited!! :rofl:
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Let us know about your first impressions Gibbins!

Yesterday during run I probably did catch sore Achilles tendon. It was not very painful and afternoon I stopped feeling it, but this morning I made slow run and started feeling it again. I deal with it first time, if any of you had it before and could share your experience how to deal with it, that would be very helpful
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

The Gibbins wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:21 am Every other day is a lot for running, do you go full out or do slow runs?
I need to embrace the slow runs more, i dont do enough of them but a lot of good runners swear by them for strengthening and fitness.

On another note, ordered some Mach 4's as the reviews are too good, they should arrive for my lunch time run tomorrow. Excited!! :rofl:
I've got to a stage now where I can run comfortably at 4.50 per KM pace for 6/7k. I'm not on the deck exhausted afterwards at all.

If I decide to do a standard 5 (which is rare these days) I'll be looking at 4.30/4.40 per KM pace so I'm giving it some (for me anyway, might be slow for some of you!)
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Give fartlek a go if you are getting bored of standard long runs. Great way to break the boredom and also speed your overall times up if you are plateauing.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I think a nice way of approaching a run is occasionally going out to run for a period of time, rather than a distance in mind.

Yesterday morning I went out wanting to run for exactly an hour, did 8.5 miles bang on. Mentally it seems a little easier that way.
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

Centre Half wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:34 am I think a nice way of approaching a run is occasionally going out to run for a period of time, rather than a distance in mind.

Yesterday morning I went out wanting to run for exactly an hour, did 8.5 miles bang on. Mentally it seems a little easier that way.
So how do you plan your route? What happens after an hour is up & you're 8.5 miles away from your house? Or do you run around the block over & over?

Not having a pop. Serious question.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Shabu wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:19 am So how do you plan your route? What happens after an hour is up & you're 8.5 miles away from your house? Or do you run around the block over & over?

Not having a pop. Serious question.
Circuits of Victoria Park
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

The Gibbins wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:21 am ordered some Mach 4's as the reviews are too good, they should arrive for my lunch time run tomorrow. Excited!! :rofl:
I have just bought a pair too :eyes:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

So, these Hoka Mach 4'S. Lets hear your reviews (Gibbins & Igor) when you get a sec. :thup:
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Parcel came today after my daily run so I just tried them if they fit and just made 200 meters jog to feel how they work. To be honest, first impression is like right, I promise to never betray asics again after I finish this pair ;-) Less comfy definitely, but let me run tomorrow 10km and hopefully I will make U-turn in my opinion about them.

Update after first 10km in Mach 4: decent shoes, much more dynamic than Nimbus, that's true. Anyway I still feel like I prefer Nimbus and that luxury feeling of hitting the ground very softly and gently. Due to cushioning Nimbus are much much better than Mach 4 imo. Probably if my goal would be to run faster probably I would value Mach 4 more, but while I just want to run for fun I think I will go for Nimbus next time again.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I have bought two different trainers since i last posted here :crylol:

I am training for the Brighton Marathon next year so got a rotation going between Hoka Clifton Edge (slow run days), Hoka Mach 4 (general training, basic miles) and bought some Hoka Carbon X2 which are great for the longer miles at more of a race pace. I am single, i can justify the expense at the minute haha

I really like the Mach 4's but i agree the comfort is never going to be anywhere near a Gel Nimbus, I think Asics are probably the best around for comfort. My gripe with Asics is that they are heavy so at longer distances its hard to get any pace. I think i can run a marathon quite easily in the Carbon X2 that i just purchased, they are slightly heavier than my other trainers but actually feel very light and that carbon plate gives nice energy in the feet when pouding the floor for a decent amount of miles. I am going to up my distance to 13 miles on Sunday so will see how good the Carbon X2 perform at Half Marathon distance.

For anyone looking at the Mach 4's, they fit more into the all rounder, every day type of running shoe for me. I would say they have decent cushion, but they are a bit firmer and lighter than a Gel Nimbus or Hoka Clifton Edge, so they are better if you are looking for a bit more pace and oomph in your every day runs. They are also good for the slow days as well, i think they are pretty flexible if you are looking for one trainer to do everything with. They are a bit narrow though, so I would not recommend these for anyone with wide feet, they took me a couple of weeks to wear into them properly.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Igor/Gibbins :newthumb:
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... -1927-2021

Sad news, I have not heard about Dorothy Parlett before, great person. Rest in Peace, Great Running Hammer
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Bashed out a 10k before work this morning. First time I've done that. Usually do 7 tops. According to Strava it's pretty fast too, but when I look on the Nike app it's not so fast.

Anybody else use both simultaneously and notice that the timings are wildly different? Also distance isn't the same either. Always says I've run further on Strava. Never know which to believe.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Hello runners,

I am afraid that something called Ilio-tibial band syndrome has hit me yesterday.
On 6 or 7km I started to feel quite strong pain in back side of my left knee. I reduced pace and somehow I finished my run but later I felt it even while walking. Has anyone experienced this kind of injury? Any advices how to deal with it and for how long should I rest (assuming it is needed)?

for reference:
https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-informati ... n-syndrome
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Igor_E7 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:49 am Hello runners,

I am afraid that something called Ilio-tibial band syndrome has hit me yesterday.
On 6 or 7km I started to feel quite strong pain in back side of my left knee. I reduced pace and somehow I finished my run but later I felt it even while walking. Has anyone experienced this kind of injury? Any advices how to deal with it and for how long should I rest (assuming it is needed)?

for reference:
https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-informati ... n-syndrome
Ouch. Not heard of that mate. I did have to have physio years ago when I first started running as I did my knee in but i don't think it was that. Was totally my fault actually for wearing the wrong shoes. Ever since I've worn proper running shoes I've been fine (touches wood).