Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: Running

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I see most of you lot have avoided running in the rain today! :)

It was actually quite nice having some soft ground to run on for once.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1509 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

I made half marathon distance on Sunday and went for 10km run on Monday, then I realised it was not good idea to not to have a rest after longer run, so decided to rest on Tuesday, so it was just a nice coincidence in my case, but I won't blame others neither ;-) wet feet is one of the worst feelings of my life, anyway, it's going to be rainy more frequent next months, so I need to mentally prepare for this!
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2013 likes

Post by Shabu »

What's this rain stuff you talk of?
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

I made a run from Olimpic Stadium to The Champions' statue / Green Street this morning, hope it will help a bit tonight, COYI!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Igor_E7 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:49 am I made half marathon distance on Sunday and went for 10km run on Monday, then I realised it was not good idea to not to have a rest after longer run, so decided to rest on Tuesday, so it was just a nice coincidence in my case, but I won't blame others neither ;-) wet feet is one of the worst feelings of my life, anyway, it's going to be rainy more frequent next months, so I need to mentally prepare for this!
I know a couple of hardcore Dark Peak trail runners that swear by neoprene socks in the winter. Keeps the feet warm even if its wet and freezing.

Something like this: https://www.inov-8.com/extreme-thermo-sock-high-2
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Good advice, thanks Burnley!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

10 runs in 20 days. Legs feeling it now. Having said that I still want to get out and do a 10k over the weekend as it's been a few months. Should be a bit easier now it's cooled down a bit.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've been testing how my fitness has come along this week by attempting 5 runs in 5 days. This afternoons run will be the last and longest one. I'll be quietly impressed if I manage it - and then I have a nice lazy weekend to look forward to.

Next week I'll be practicing the run walk run method as I would like to build up to 50k
HammerDivOneSon
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by HammerDivOneSon »

2 weeks to go until London Marathon!

Had my last long run this weekend (33k). Wanted to go a bit longer than that, but went off quicker than what I will do on race day, to see if I could handle the pace, but the tank ran dry at around 30k...

Only talking around 4/5 seconds per KM, but makes a massive difference when going that distance.

2 weeks of tapering now. Have to trust that the training has paid off and I'll make it around in one piece!

Good luck to all other hammers running the big race on the 3rd :hamm:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

HammerDivOneSon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am 2 weeks to go until London Marathon!

Had my last long run this weekend (33k). Wanted to go a bit longer than that, but went off quicker than what I will do on race day, to see if I could handle the pace, but the tank ran dry at around 30k...

Only talking around 4/5 seconds per KM, but makes a massive difference when going that distance.

2 weeks of tapering now. Have to trust that the training has paid off and I'll make it around in one piece!

Good luck mate :newthumb:
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

HammerDivOneSon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am 2 weeks to go until London Marathon!

Good luck to you too mate. Only managed 16 miles on Saturday morning. I was knackered. Woke up at 3am and kept waking up until I finally got up at 6. Serves me right for not taking my phone to bed and setting the alarm lol.

I'm worried about doing no long runs for the next 2 weeks. A week without a serious run and I feel like I'm back to square one.. I'll go out for a slow leg stretcher on Tuesday, golf on Weds and will try another short one on Thursday. I might try and wake up early for Parkrun and get 6 or 7 miles in before it starts. Can detour home for an extra 3 miles (usually 1 mile) to give me a slow 1/2. I've found that using the Parkrun as a part of a long run has really helped my motivation - as my pace certainly picks up compared to the 13 or 14 miles that preceded it.

Apart from the 26.2 miles, I feel that my biggest challenge will be trying to stick to the 9:30's that I've been doing. I can see me doing sub 8's otherwise and burning out long before Tower Bridge :lol:
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Good luck HammerDivOneSon!
HammerDivOneSon

bracknellhammer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:53 pm Good luck to you too mate. Only managed 16 miles on Saturday morning. I was knackered. Woke up at 3am and kept waking up until I finally got up at 6. Serves me right for not taking my phone to bed and setting the alarm lol.

I'm worried about doing no long runs for the next 2 weeks. A week without a serious run and I feel like I'm back to square one.. I'll go out for a slow leg stretcher on Tuesday, golf on Weds and will try another short one on Thursday. I might try and wake up early for Parkrun and get 6 or 7 miles in before it starts. Can detour home for an extra 3 miles (usually 1 mile) to give me a slow 1/2. I've found that using the Parkrun as a part of a long run has really helped my motivation - as my pace certainly picks up compared to the 13 or 14 miles that preceded it.

Apart from the 26.2 miles, I feel that my biggest challenge will be trying to stick to the 9:30's that I've been doing. I can see me doing sub 8's otherwise and burning out long before Tower Bridge :lol:
Trust the process mate! all the training you've done has lead to this point. Nothing new now, no new injuries. Will be a great day.

So many people I've spoken to about it have said about trying to pace yourself and not get caught up in the moment and set off quicker! You got this!

Got a lovely light blue running top and have just purchased some claret calf sleeves :hamm:

Thanks for the well wishes all, some great numbers on the KUMB strava leader board recently!
bracknellhammer

Thanks mate, I know that I'll be fighting against my instincts to run quicker. I want to take in the day so no point in trying to ruin it by killing myself lol.

I'm running for Asthma UK so have to wear one of their vest for the run. Will be sporting some claret shorts though and the WHU shirt will be in the bag ready to collect at the finish line.

Gutted that the Brentford game kicks off at 2. 4pm, I might've been able to make it :crest:
HammerDivOneSon

bracknellhammer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:10 pm Thanks mate, I know that I'll be fighting against my instincts to run quicker. I want to take in the day so no point in trying to ruin it by killing myself lol.

I'm running for Asthma UK so have to wear one of their vest for the run. Will be sporting some claret shorts though and the WHU shirt will be in the bag ready to collect at the finish line.

Gutted that the Brentford game kicks off at 2. 4pm, I might've been able to make it :crest:
Just line up alongside Kipchoge, finish the marathon in 2 1/2 hours, hope on the tube to LS and watch us turnover Brentford 3-0. Simples...
bracknellhammer

My thinking is that if I don't see him at all, I'll beat him lol

Insane pace :shock:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

11 runs in 22 days. On course for 15 in 30 beating my monthly record by 2.

Fingers crossed the legs hold up. Feeling pretty achy right now.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've just done my longest run so far at 26k, armed with only a 330ml Capri Sun drink.

I can barely walk now.
HammerDivOneSon

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:09 pm I've just done my longest run so far at 26k, armed with only a 330ml Capri Sun drink.

I can barely walk now.
26k on a kids drink is quite an achievement! :crylol:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:09 pm I've just done my longest run so far at 26k, armed with only a 330ml Capri Sun drink.

I can barely walk now.
:shocker: