Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Re: Running

Post by Igor_E7 »

Solidarity in pain Cockneyboy! I planned to make first 1K at the end of April, 2 weeks before I got a pain in the right ankle, I tried to ignore it but next day felt even worse so I paused running for a while, hope to do some short runs this week to check how it is going :fxd:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:38 pm I used to knock out a half marathon before work without water or food, just a cup of coffee 30 mins before. Not necessarily the best way to do it, but unless it's very hot out, you should be fine with 1l of water. Maybe one of them energy gel pouches, but include them in your training, so your stomach's used to it.
Same here mate. I can't run if I've had any food in the previous 3 or 4 hours. I also find the coffee helps.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I struggle to drink too close to running. Can feel it all sloshing around in my gut. I usually don't eat for 4 hours before running, and try not to drink in the hour or so before.

I've since had a chat with someone I know who regularly does ultra marathons up and down mountains... he advised that I should be trying to take in 100-200 calories an hour if the run is over 2 hours. He also advised that I stick to water for fluids rather than lucozade etc. And finally he said that, if it's been quite a few hours since last eating, I should have some easily processed carbs about an hour before the run, maybe just a banana. Hills are a b*stard once the energy runs out.

I'm building up to my next challenge now of doing the Edale Skyline (31k) in a couple of weeks. If that goes well then I'm going to have a crack at the Yorkshire 3 Peaks.

I've started doing this little regime around 4 times a week to improve hill performance. https://www.trailrunnermag.com/training ... tain-legs/

I also add a few minutes of banded monster walks using the heaviest duty band I could find to strengthen glutes

I've also been looking at those bosu balls, stability cushions, and balance boards. The aim is to strengthen ankle ligaments and improve stability. Anyone use any of these?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Igor_E7 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 am Solidarity in pain Cockneyboy! I planned to make first 1K at the end of April, 2 weeks before I got a pain in the right ankle, I tried to ignore it but next day felt even worse so I paused running for a while, hope to do some short runs this week to check how it is going :fxd:
Cheers Igor. Hope you get back out there soon.

Went out on Monday and did around six and a half k. Later in the day my other knee started hurting :eyes:

Can still feel a slight twinge in the left one, and the right one has eased off. I changed my shoes for a run this morning and I think that might be the reason it's not got worse. I think I've done too many miles in the other pair (670km) and that's where the pain has come from. Usually I retire them at 550km, but I'm getting married in 3 weeks so didn't want to spunk a oner on a new pair. Mistake! Ordered another pair last night for next day delivery and they turned up earlier.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

3 weeks until Edinburgh marathon for me, training has gone really well with no new injuries at all.

Managed to get in all my main sessions, only missing a few recovery runs where my sticky knee (patellofemoral) has been stiff. Managed to bag a half marathon PB (1 h 31min) in a warm up race I did which I was chuffed about.

I’d be delighted with anything around 3 hours 25 mins.

The marathon is all along the coast so relatively flat, praying that it’s not windy however.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm focusing more on distance at the moment and less on speed. I actually don't care much about the times I get - the whole reason I started running in the first place is so that I could eventually progress to trail running in the hills and mountains. Quite happy to power hike up the steepest bits or occasionally break into a 2 minute fast walk... whatever it takes to keep going over a longer distance. I have no intention of ever competing in events and prefer to draw up my own half marathon routes. Maybe one day in the future, I'll have the stamina for ultra distances. I've been wanting to do this for a while... when I used to hike a lot and got overtaken by a trail runner, I always used to be in awe and wonder how they managed to run up and down hills when it was tiring enough simply walking. I wanted to be that person. All I need now is a pair of the new Hoka Speedgoats... I'm dropping plenty of hints in time for my birthday. Since starting running, I've completely changed the way I hike now too. Trail running shoes are much better than boots imo for hiking, and compression socks much better than traditional hiking socks. I've hiked the Yorkshire 3 Peaks 8 times now, and the first time I did it in a pair of trail running shoes (with good cushioning) was also the first time my feet didn't ache at the end of it.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Some running advice...

Never try and have a race with someone after drinking a bottle of wine.

I've turned my ankle :(
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Having got fat and lazy, I have started running again, albeit using intervals i.e. 0.25-mile run, and 0.25-mile walk. This morning I upped the running to 0.5-mile intervals, running just under 4 miles during the week and anything up between 5.5 and 6.5 at the weekend. To be honest there's not a lot of difference in calorie burn or time between a full non-stop run and a run/walk.
The Gibbins wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:00 pm Do you guys take anything with you when on a run? Hydration wise i am usually fine for about 10 miles without a drink but i do run well with a bottle of Lucozade Sport. I find i get sick if i take any gels, but Lucozade does give me that boost
Those gels are evil and give you the two bob bits, so I tend to steer clear. With my distance being what they are, I just rely on water, but when I was up near the ten-mile mark I was using hydration powder like SIS. I was using ORS / Zero tablets but it gets a little expensive, so went for a tub of SIS. The good thing is with powder you can find a mixture that you like. I find sports drinks far too sweet and sometimes you just want something to take the edge off of water (they're pretty good for handovers too).

But I don't eat before going out in the morning, two strong coffees which supposedly block pain receptors and also get things moving so I can lighten the load before heading out. I do make sure that I have breakfast waiting for me when I get in - usually oats, yoghurt and frozen berries.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:37 am Some running advice...

Never try and have a race with someone after drinking a bottle of wine.

I've turned my ankle :(
auch... speedy recovery mate!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

I retired from running after a bad ankle turn back in 2019, so took up HIIT classes ended up with chronic shin splits and now due a SPECT CT scan in a month more than followed by surgery.

All my own fault as I originally just carried on as it only hurts doing certain exercises, now it hurts as soon I put weight on my foot. Listen to your body so they so say, good advice !!
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Looks like I may have got away with it with my ankle... it feels very slightly strained but I'm walking on it fine. Don't think it's anything a couple of days rest won't solve. Looks like my foot has come off worse... it feels bruised along the outer edge. Quite tender to touch. It's not bad when walking around the house but painful once I've put my shoes on. Hopefully it is just a bruise and it'll settle a bit after a few days.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

If you are running long distance you need to be taking on some carbohydrate during the run, otherwise your body will run out of glycogen and you will hit the infamous ‘wall’.

The easiest way is by using gels. Like anything you need to practice with them, they can be troubling on the stomach initially but keep practicing with them during training long runs and your stomach becomes used to them. I don’t get any problems any more.

Once your body runs out of glycogen, it’s almost impossible to get it back to where it needs to be by taking gels or drinks. So on a run you will need to be taking gels from the beginning at regular points to ensure it stays topped up. At the Edinburgh marathon I will be taking a gel every half an hour from the start of the race.

I use SIS isotonic gels because they are fairly cheap and do the job. Everyone these days seems to be using Maurten gels which apparently are better on the stomach initially. Maurten gels are really bloody expensive though, I think they are priced at a premium because Kipchoge uses them!
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

I use SIS gels too and sometimes, specially after 3rd or 4th, I start feeling my stomach weird, but it's nothing I can not deal with, so it's not an issue I think. I take them for all runs longer than 1.5h, taking the first one after hour of run and then taking one every half an hour. Before 1.5h+ runs I eat banana and a bagel, day or two before trying to absorb lot of carbs from pasta or potatoes, I am still alive so I guess my advise can't kill anyone ;-)
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm currently trying the High5 ones as they seemed highly rated and also good value for money (I think I paid about £8 for 20 gels). I did a 27k hilly run last Saturday (before the foot injury) and used the first gel 45 mins into the run and then every 30 mins after that. The first gel caused a bit of gut discomfort but I was OK after that. I did notice though that these were mainly glucose based with a bit of maltodextrin. Most other ones I looked at seemed to be mainly maltodextrin/fructose based. Not sure what the difference is.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Avoid the ones with caffeine in if you have a sensitive stomach.
BrisbaneRoad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

I can't use gels as they upset me but usually just rely on water. I find as long as you hydrate properly beforehand with SIS carb powder you should be fine. Jelly beans or jelly babies are decent mid race but I do think people get too hung up on having gels etc and they become a bit of a gimmick

Watch the weather too. I competed in the Essex marathon champs Sunday and was OK until mile 20 when the heat got to me. There is also an art to running along and drinking without choking :smiler:
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

BrisbaneRoad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:36 pm I can't use gels as they upset me but usually just rely on water. I find as long as you hydrate properly beforehand with SIS carb powder you should be fine. Jelly beans or jelly babies are decent mid race but I do think people get too hung up on having gels etc and they become a bit of a gimmick

Watch the weather too. I competed in the Essex marathon champs Sunday and was OK until mile 20 when the heat got to me. There is also an art to running along and drinking without choking :smiler:
When me & the Missus were training for a half marathon a few years back she was researching everything (as she does) & a running magazine said the same thing. Just regular wine gums or similar should do the trick.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Am trying to get back into running, to keep my expanding waistline under control. Curiously, I seem to be getting faster, rather than my endurance increasing, which isn’t something I particularly recall happening previously, after returning from a hiatus. Not complaining, like, but seems a bit odd. I wonder if it’s “cadence memory” or something - I ran so much in my 30s and early 40s (c 1000 miles/year for close to 15 years), and I just can’t seem to settle into a slower pace.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:18 pm Am trying to get back into running, to keep my expanding waistline under control. Curiously, I seem to be getting faster, rather than my endurance increasing, which isn’t something I particularly recall happening previously, after returning from a hiatus. Not complaining, like, but seems a bit odd. I wonder if it’s “cadence memory” or something - I ran so much in my 30s and early 40s (c 1000 miles/year for close to 15 years), and I just can’t seem to settle into a slower pace.
Keeping a slower pace (so as to run further) has always been my issue mate. I see a mate of mine doing 18k plus and his 1k times are like 6/7mins. That feels like walking pace to me!

I also find recently that I've felt that I have not been that quick, and when I look at Strava I've done PB's on certain segments. Twice that has happened in the last week. I'm like, how?!
BrisbaneRoad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

Leave the watch at home and run on feel for a couple of runs. Enter some races see how you get on.

If you’ve run a lot previously and had a break your muscle/cadence memory will kick in.

The biggest battle is against yourself. Get yourself in a group or even aim for a parkrun every Saturday keep the focus