Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Running

Post by Shabu »

Anyone like to do fun runs? 5k, 10k half or full marathons?

I did plenty when living in Florida but have only done one 5k since moving back to San Diego. Obviously covid put a stop to large groups of people running along breathing in each others faces :lol:

But now things are opening up again so we've signed up for a 5k on July 3rd then an 8 mile run in August.

Just did my first run in ages & did a hot, hilly 2.2 miles in 25 minutes. Not great but I've got as fat as f*** during the pandemic. Plus I went to a brewery last night.

It does feel good to get off my arse though.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Running

Post by Puff Daddy »

Me too mate and what I do tonight ? Why, have a ****ing ruby :lol:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Do 5k once a week..... not for fun though. :wink:
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

I ran at least 800 miles a year for 12 years or so. In 2017 I managed 1000 miles in 9 months or so (had another kid that year). 600 last year. At my peak I’d do 12 miles before work and 45 minutes heavy weights at lunch.

This year? I’ve managed about 100 miles, and it’s all gone to sh*t. I’ve piled on weight, and just can’t be arsed with the same 3 boring routes I’ve been doing month in, month out. I haven’t felt this dispassionate about running since I started back in my late 20s. Tempted to switch to bike & swimming. A shame, really.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 pm Me too mate and what I do tonight ? Why, have a ****ing ruby :lol:
I'm jealous, mate. I have to do a 60 mile round trip to get a decent curry :lol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 pm I ran at least 800 miles a year for 12 years or so. In 2017 I managed 1000 miles in 9 months or so (had another kid that year). 600 last year. At my peak I’d do 12 miles before work and 45 minutes heavy weights at lunch.

This year? I’ve managed about 100 miles, and it’s all gone to sh*t. I’ve piled on weight, and just can’t be arsed with the same 3 boring routes I’ve been doing month in, month out. I haven’t felt this dispassionate about running since I started back in my late 20s. Tempted to switch to bike & swimming. A shame, really.
Cycling is fantastic. Especially if you have nice routes near you. I wish I could get back into it. Maybe after me holiday.
Valley Hammer

Post by Valley Hammer »

I've been running since my late teens and I'm now 62.
My distances have gone up and down over the years, from 800 metres through to the marathon, with my last marathon being in 2009.
Needless to say, my times have deteriorated and the fact every time I get some decent training done I get injured and I'm back to square one.
I'm now at the point where my best times are long gone and the older I get the faster I was. I do take a little bit of pride in some of my times, although, I was never a world-beater.
Looking forward to parkrun returning and I can't see myself doing many races longer than 5k.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Had never been for a run in my life until 2017 just after I turned 35 and my sister convinced me to go to Parkrun with her. Got completely bitten by the bug and consider myself a regular runner ever since.

Built up to 10ks, half marathons and then in 2019 completed the London marathon. Managed to keep a heavy workload up that year and completed 1000 miles for the year. 2020 saw a change of career, no parkruns and COVID obviously so I came down a fair bit but was still running regularly.

This year I have completely lost my mojo for it. February I didn’t do a single run. First month that’s happened in over four years. April I managed one. Can’t really put my finger on what it is. I have the London Landmarks Half Marathon in August which I definitely need to train for so it’s not even like I don’t have a goal to focus on. I think it’s the fact the parks have been so busy, the unseasonably cold spring we’ve had and the temptation to get into the long-missed pub on days off.

I’ve made myself a loose programme to get me ready for the half so I’m hoping this will light the fire again. Hopefully the return of Parkrun will do the same.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I'm not gonna google this...

But can someone tell me ?

If I run 10 miles......or rode a bike 10 miles. At a sort of even pace for both...

What would lose me most weight. ?
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

I run about 800 miles a year and have done the London Marathon a couple of times but I have been struggling this year firstly with injuries and now I think with hayfever, I just can't seem to get going and am having to walk after a couple of miles so the most I'm managing is between 3-5 miles. 6 months ago I was doing 10-14 mile runs every weekend.
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Good work, Shabu! Keep it up, mate.

I run 5-10km a week (doubling it in the weeks before an organised 10km). I'm chuffed because I've piled on a stone-and-a-half since last summer but have managed to keep my times consistent. I largely run on self-loathing and disappointment, and thoroughly enjoy it.

Anybody else found their listening habits change with running? My normal 90s/00s white boys with guitars music slows me down when I run whereas listening to lady music like Little Mix, Haim and Foxes increases my pace. I think it's something about clean production and a lack of guitar breaks.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've always quite fancied running - especially trail running. I'm not sure I have the knees for it though... or the lung capacity.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Although there may be hope for me after all...

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-inj ... our-knees/

"In a four-month study of middle-aged people, imaging found evidence of damage (not necessarily arthritis) in most of the people’s knees. After half of the study subjects did a four-month marathon training program, MRIs of their knees showed less damage than at the start of the study. That finding meshed with the results of a study that found that, after four months of moderate exercise, knee cartilage health improved in middle-aged people at risk of developing osteoarthritis."
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I run approx 50-80 km a month. It's been the best thing about Covid and the lockdowns, as I've been WFH since March 2020.

A nice 5-6k 2-3 times a week with a bigger run on Saturday 7-10k.

Kept me sane if I'm honest. Without that I'd be in the nut house.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Did 25km on the bike just now. Meh.
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:59 pm I run approx 50-80 km a month. It's been the best thing about Covid and the lockdowns, as I've been WFH since March 2020.

A nice 5-6k 2-3 times a week with a bigger run on Saturday 7-10k.

Kept me sane if I'm honest. Without that I'd be in the nut house.
I was doing the similar ( 3x 5-6k a week) and then In January upped it to 100-120k a month (3 x 10-12k a week) and really noticed the difference in both times and weight loss.
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

Runner here.

Asthmatic and needed to get into shape after my Sunday league 'career' ended. Piled on the pounds to the point where I was constantly wheezing when asleep. Not one to go to a gym so decided to start jogging. Quickly got the bug and signed up for my local 1/2 marathon as a reason to keep at it.

7+ years later, I'm still at it. Managed to get into the London Marathon last year which was ultimately downgraded to a virtual one. Did it in just under 4:40 which I was delighted with - considering I walked / ran / hobbled the last 5 miles and they only gave around 5 weeks notice that they were going to do it. My place was deferred to this years event so my training will start in the coming weeks.

Try to do 15 - 20 miles per week when not training for anything of real distance.

I also set myself a target of 1000km per year and was able to pass 1000 miles last year due to the miles covered between January and the event being cancelled when Covid hit - and then resuming again in the Summer.

I'm on Strava if anyone wants to follow me / each other
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Runner here too since 2017. I only got into it through rehabilitation of putting more weight through my foot after I tore ankle ligaments/dislocated metatarsals when I missed a step at West Ham station following our last Saturday home game at The Boleyn (that awful game against Swansea). :lol:

Didn't last 1/2 a mile for my first couple of runs but stuck with it and have since completed 4 marathons (Brighton, Berlin, Manchester, Southampton) and an ultramarathon. I took a bit of time off last year during lockdown (took up cycling to commute and focussed on weight loss) and restarted running earlier this year with a totally different mindset and 3 stone less of weight and completed a half marathon race the other weekend taking 9 minutes off my PB!

I'm currently doing 30-40ish miles a week at the moment and also regularly volunteer at the Run Through events across London if anyone ends up at those.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I love the thought of running. But the actual practise bores me senseless.

Started a few daily miles recently with view to doing 5ks, but I lasted two weeks.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 am I've always quite fancied running - especially trail running. I'm not sure I have the knees for it though... or the lung capacity.
When I was getting back into running in my early 40's I bought a few books about running when you're older etc.

They mentioned THREE physical stages to your running. One was muscular, the 2nd was lung & the 3rd was skeletal.The first two come to you fairly quickly with practice but the 3rd takes over a year.

I changed my run pattern & do shorter, quicker strides so I'm not coming down hard on my joints.

But also as important is getting the right sets of shoes.

And walk if you feel like it. a 5k of walking & running is still an achievement.

There's a bloke named John "The Penguin" Bingham, who was a fat smoker & drinker & decided to take up running. Now he's done loads of marathons, slowly, & has built up a cult following as the non runners runner :lol:

http://www.johnbingham.com/