Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: Running

Post by PF. »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:29 am Is that bad? My heartrate is always over 150 when I run!
Max HR = 220 minus your age.

Give or take, and not factoring the athletes of this world.

I'm pretty much always over 80% no matter the distance or speed. My recovery rate is pretty decent though, I can get down to my RHR of 55ish within a couple of minutes post run.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

PF. wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:59 pm Max HR = 220 minus your age.

Give or take, and not factoring the athletes of this world.

I'm pretty much always over 80% no matter the distance or speed. My recovery rate is pretty decent though, I can get down to my RHR of 55ish within a couple of minutes post run.
Think my 2 minute recovery HR was 58 last time I checked. I was reading a post on ultra marathons and the advice was to stay in the aerobic zone ie around 120bpm... I think I'd find that impossible unless I do the whole thing at the speed of a brisk walk.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I don't know who Tom Richardson is but you are bashing out the KM this week pal. 'Doffs cap'
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

Time for me to pick up a new pair of shoes in time for The big one in October. Been tempted by the New Balance RC Elite V2 which are on offer in Sportsshoes.com for £146 down from over £200!! Reviews are very positive and the idea of a comfortable ride is very appealing for me and my knees.

Ran a 1/2 with a basic pair of NB’s many moons ago but thinking of Getting an actual pair of ‘proper’ shoes.

Anyone had any experience with these or carbon plate shoes?
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

I also need to start thinking about new shoes currently being close to finish my second pair of Hoka Mach 4. I think I'd like to have a bit more of cushioning, but generally I am very happy with a level of stabilisation in Mach 4. Any recommendations what I could buy?
bracknellhammer

Igor_E7 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:10 pm I also need to start thinking about new shoes currently being close to finish my second pair of Hoka Mach 4. I think I'd like to have a bit more of cushioning, but generally I am very happy with a level of stabilisation in Mach 4. Any recommendations what I could buy?
I’ve been looking at these
https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/new ... -new694161
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Thanks bracknellhammer, do you know if they have similar characteristic to Hoka Machs? I'm looking for something not too different, just with bit more cushioning. Just realised Hoka has upgraded Mach model to its 5th version, has anyone tried them yet?
bracknellhammer

I wouldn’t know chap. Never tried Hoka’s. I ended up getting the Adizero Pro 2’s in the end. Watched a couple of comparisons and they edged it compared to the NB’s.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/adi ... u-adi14917

I only wear one pair of shoes so have no rotation (apart from some trail shoes when the winter hits my local parkrun) and the Continental sole on the Adidas is more than adequate for getting 500+ miles out of them.

Cheaper too
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

8 days since I got the all clear from covid.

20 days since I had a drink.

Tried to run 5k today but couldn't. I did finish it but after running the first km I was knackered. Couldn't get my breath. Legs were dead. Ended up finishing in 40 minutes.

Can't wait for this to pass
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Quick recovery Shabu, don't press your body too hard mate, it takes time, I know cos I've been it that place too, you will be back on track anyway :scarfer:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

bracknellhammer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:35 pm Time for me to pick up a new pair of shoes in time for The big one in October. Been tempted by the New Balance RC Elite V2 which are on offer in Sportsshoes.com for £146 down from over £200!! Reviews are very positive and the idea of a comfortable ride is very appealing for me and my knees.

Ran a 1/2 with a basic pair of NB’s many moons ago but thinking of Getting an actual pair of ‘proper’ shoes.

Anyone had any experience with these or carbon plate shoes?
I haven’t ran in the RC elite, but I’ve got the New Balance Fuel Cell TC, which is basically the training version of the shoe, with a carbon plat as well. It’s a cracking shoe, the fuel cell foam is springy and responsive which I love, easy to run quick in. Running quick in them is fun.

It’s a pretty similar ride to the Nike Vaporflys, which I use for races. Another shoe where it’s so fun to fly along quick in. You can pick that up for around £150 these days.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just managed to pick up a Garmin Forerunner 735xt from Ebay for £60 - mint condition - for my son for his birthday. He's hopefully going to get the running bug now... his first 2 days was a 5k followed by a 10k. What I'd give to have young legs again! Also persuaded him to join the Kumb group on Strava. Give him a bit of competition... see if he can do better than his knackered old dad.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Has everyone achieved their running goals yet this year? Do you even have goals? Personally my goals have always been about distance - I don't really care too much about speed. This year was about trying to run the Yorkshire 3 Peaks which I think I'm ready for now and will be doing once this rainy spell has ended. Naturally I won't be running up the actual peaks as that would kill me - but I'll be doing the downhills and there's plenty of distance between them. If all that goes OK then next year will be all about trying to do my first 100k ultra. I probably should be choosing something nice and flat as it's my first one but no doubt I'll choose something overly difficult as I can't resist the lure of the hills. Only decision I need to make is, do I pay money and join an actual organised event? Or, as per usual, do I just do it solo? I have faith that my legs will manage it... I'm not entirely sure about my knackered feet though. I have already plotted a couple of 50k routes locally which I'll use for training next year.

Anyone else still got big things lined up this year?
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

100K ultra is a great goal and I am pretty sure you can do it. Not my piece of cake, but I imagine I'd prefer to make it as an organised event, for safety reason mainly.

I've reduced my interest in running, now spending more and more time in the gym than running, but still doing the weekly kilometers as I haven't reached my goal of 2022 km yet, have done about 1550 at the moment.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Back from an attempt at running the Yorkshire Three Peaks yesterday... I won't be trying that again for some time. My legs are utterly ruined and I think I'm going to be hobbling for at least the next couple of days. I may have got a half decent time if it wasn't for all the mini stoppages that accumulated to about an hour. Much of these were because my legs were almost permanently on the verge of cramping and I needed to constantly stretch them out. Running down steep endless steps absolutely ruins the quads! I also made a big detour on the last peak due to my irrational fear of cows which ended up with me devising a different ascent route on the fly. Turned out to be the most horrible ascent route I could have wanted at that point. That probably added 30 minutes onto my time too.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

great effort, congrats!
PF.

Post by PF. »

Well done mate, good drills.

For anyone who’s using their Apple Watch as a HRM, try a chest strap and see the difference. Mine was >50 bpm overstated on the Apple Watch. Remarkable, really.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

The LM, did anyone make it this year?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Not me but Mrs. Boots. Now well into her sixties her marathon times have got slower from a PB of 3:28. Her last few, admittedly trail rather than road races, have been around 4:30. She wanted to do 4:10 to keep her 'good for age' entries going for London (this was her 12th London and 91st marathon). She was ecstatic and walking on air for the rest of yesterday when she did it in 3:54.
PF.

Post by PF. »