Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Running

Post by Dayinthelife »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 am Never ran at all before but for some reason starting replacing my incline 'fast walk' with a ran just after christmas at the gym, very quickly did 5km and now I'm now doing 10km 2-3 times a week (increasing the speed of the treadmill as well) , the satisfaction of getting to 10km has been great.

I'd like to move it outside but I feel like a bit of a 'wally' running to be honest, but at some point will give it a go, never going to run marathons but at 45 a never doing this before it is a nice addition to my gym routine (got bored with the little weights routine I do recently.)

My brother is training for some ultra-marathon later this year.
I started running last year, a few months before my 45th bday. Never ran at all before that. I got bored with cycling and weight training as well. I feel like I accomplish more in a 10km run, than I ever felt cycing 40 or 50 km. Maybe we just enjoy the punishment.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 539 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Out in the snow this morning. Lots of baffled looks from passers by :newharry:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Went out for an 8k run yesterday. Found myself doing quite a quick time, so tried to keep that pace going. Got to 8k and thought I could do a sub 48min 10k here, which I haven’t done for a good while (maybe twice ever) so decided to dig in and go for it. Ended up running 10.6k and my 10k was in fact a PB! 46min 19s. Nearly a minute quicker than my best. Totally stunned!

I didn’t think I’d get near that PB. I did that about 5/6 years ago. Getting older (and fatter) and all that. Seriously chuffed, and what’s funny is I ran through a real muddy section where I had to slow down in fear of falling over, so if I hadn’t have had that I’d say sub 46m was on.

Unbelievable Jeff.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Dayinthelife wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:13 am I started running last year, a few months before my 45th bday. Never ran at all before that. I got bored with cycling and weight training as well. I feel like I accomplish more in a 10km run, than I ever felt cycing 40 or 50 km. Maybe we just enjoy the punishment.
Exactly my feelings too, must be a 45 thing.
Shabu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:31 pm Without sounding patronising, before you start outside running do a 5 or 10k treadmill run on a 3 elevation as that's what they reckon road running is equal to.
Tried the 3% run, it hurt but managed a slower than usual 5km.. need to build so calf strength I think.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am
Unbelievable Jeff.
Congratulations mate. Well done!
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Battersea Park half for me on Saturday, clocked 1h 28m which was a 1m 40 secs PB.

Good signs for Manchester marathon.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by Shabu »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:49 am
Tried the 3% run, it hurt but managed a slower than usual 5km.. need to build so calf strength I think.
Keep going. Even just doing a jog 30 seconds walk 30 seconds will really really improve your legs & lungs. Hills MAKE you.
Dayinthelife

Post by Dayinthelife »

Have already managed 40kms this month, a month high for me and only half way through March.

My new attempt at taking a more serious approach to training(slower runs, a bit of strength training, recovery runs) feels like it is paying off. Have to work all weekend(three 12 hour shifts), but will try to work in a 3:30am 5 km run. Monday will be my first try at some hill sprints. I think my body is responding well.

A question if I may.......

Nutrition........... what do you guys eat before and after your runs? and how long before your runs do you eat?

I think I might be crashing a bit towards the end of my runs.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Dayinthelife wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 am Have already managed 40kms this month, a month high for me and only half way through March.

My new attempt at taking a more serious approach to training(slower runs, a bit of strength training, recovery runs) feels like it is paying off. Have to work all weekend(three 12 hour shifts), but will try to work in a 3:30am 5 km run. Monday will be my first try at some hill sprints. I think my body is responding well.

A question if I may.......

Nutrition........... what do you guys eat before and after your runs? and how long before your runs do you eat?

I think I might be crashing a bit towards the end of my runs.
I think it varies from person to person... personally I struggle to run with food in my gut and I don't like to eat for at least 2 hours before a run, or drink for 1 hour before.

If it's a long run then I may use an energy gel or two. I use the Kendal Mintcake gels and I find them easy on the gut.

Post run I'll have a protein yoghurt (85p at Aldi's - 25g of protein) followed by a bowl of Pilau rice (35p). If I want extra protein then I'll have some sardines (44p) with the rice.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Had manflu all week and now at the coughing up the remnants stage so decided to run to the gym.

Only 3.5km, but hilly.

Back to work today til 10pm so I'm sure I'll be feeling knackered later
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've replaced running with indoor bike for now whilst I still have a suspected hernia. Next available GP appointment is end of April.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 pm I've replaced running with indoor bike
Don't you keep bumping into walls

conseguiré mi abrigo
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Well that plan didn't last long - went for a run earlier. Might regret that later.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I either have a really bad cold, or flu (I'd wager the latter) which has ****ed up my running schedule no end. ****ing viruses :cry:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:32 pm I either have a really bad cold, or flu (I'd wager the latter) which has ****ed up my running schedule no end. ****ing viruses :cry:
Finally out again today after the lurgy. Was sensible and did a short run (3.8k). Felt good, other than slipping over and cutting my hands up breaking my fall. Lost an earphone in the process too. FFS.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Have clocked ~22 minutes 5kms the last two times I've gone for a jog. I'm fortunate as it's flat as a pancake where I run, which does help, but even I'm surprised at that.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

First run since I got clobbered by covid & complications went predictably badly. My body actually felt okay, presumably because I didn't put on any weight while I was hacking up slime at home, but my CV is absolutely shot.
Dayinthelife

Post by Dayinthelife »

I finished up March with the most kms I have run in a month. I managed 86 kms, double of my previous high. My last run was yesterday and managed a 15km run. My knees and feet are not happy with me.

In the last few runs I have noticed a few things when running.

I have a bad habit of scrunching my right toes when I run. When paying attention I stop doing it, but as soon as I zone out in my run, I start doing it again.

My left foot slaps the ground when I run. Another thing that I can correct when paying attention. I think I just kind of let that foot dangle a bit, and it just slaps down, if that makes sense. Think I might need to concentrate on building some strength in the muscle on the front of my calves.

My first half marathon is now roughly 5 weeks away. Think I can manage it. I can do 15 before I need a bit of a walk break, but I do feel like I am getting stronger with each run.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Due to the moody weather here this winter I've only been running outside once a week, just a 5k round a golf course. But I've been doing uphill tabata sprints on the treadmill, 2 or 3 times a week.

Went from a 32 minute 5k to a 29.17 5k this year alone & I've only done about five actual 5ks.

Weather's starting to pick up now (going to be 25C Easter weekend) so I'm hoping to get out two or three a week. Long runs on Tuesday (which is my Saturday) then 5ks on the weekend.
Dayinthelife

Post by Dayinthelife »

Had a bit of a weird week running.

On Friday, made an attempt at a 10km PB. Was on pace to beating my old time by over 2 mins. Around km 7 my watch battery ran out. Completely demotivated me, walked home.

Wednesday...... second attempt at the 10mk PB. Was dying after about a km. Couldn't find a stride, the pace was too fast for me, even though it was slower than Fridays attempt. In hindsight, I think I was just dehydrated and the warm temp was just too much.

Thursday.... another hot sunny day.... decided to go for a long slow run. Was able to do 16 km, at a quicker pace than expected. Didn't have to stop to walk at all. Felt like **** at home before the run, but once I got a couple kms in, I felt good. Odd.