Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Re: Running

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Been on my honeymoon last week. Managed to go to the hotel gym once and did just over 4k (after 15 mins on the x trainer) so gagging to get back out there and get some miles in. My gut also agrees with this!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

As my future ambitions are to be able to do marathon distances and then Ultra's (running but not racing), I'm trying to focus at the moment on energy conservation and slow running. It's actually harder than it sounds! I have to keep checking my speed as it just feels weird running slow. I have the Edale skyline still to do when I get some new trail running shoes, and then the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. Once that's over, I've devised a 50k route around the local countryside. We'll see how all that goes. By this time next year, I want to be thinking about 100k. Struggling at the moment though keeping myself in the aerobic zone. I took todays run quite easy but according to Garmin, only 12% of it was in the aerobic zone and 56% in the max zone. It seems impossible to me to keep it in that zone unless I'm just walking fast all the way round.

Edit.... after a bit more research it seems as though the average pace of an ultra runner is around 8:15 min/km so I think I need to start massively upping the mileage and practising taking it much slower.
BrisbaneRoad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:49 pm As my future ambitions are to be able to do marathon distances and then Ultra's (running but not racing), I'm trying to focus at the moment on energy conservation and slow running. It's actually harder than it sounds! I have to keep checking my speed as it just feels weird running slow. I have the Edale skyline still to do when I get some new trail running shoes, and then the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. Once that's over, I've devised a 50k route around the local countryside. We'll see how all that goes. By this time next year, I want to be thinking about 100k. Struggling at the moment though keeping myself in the aerobic zone. I took todays run quite easy but according to Garmin, only 12% of it was in the aerobic zone and 56% in the max zone. It seems impossible to me to keep it in that zone unless I'm just walking fast all the way round.

Edit.... after a bit more research it seems as though the average pace of an ultra runner is around 8:15 min/km so I think I need to start massively upping the mileage and practising taking it much slower.
I've done a few Ultras and it is tough to discipline yourself to running slowly but you'll be glad you did when you hit the big mileage
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I completed the Edinburgh marathon on Sunday, my first marathon in 3 hours 21, which I was really chuffed about as I was hoping for a 3 hour 25.

Felt absolutely great up to about mile 21 or 22, after that it became a real struggle with heavy legs, and I had to really concentrate on just getting one foot in front of the other and just continuing running.

Was on for a 3 h 20 up until mile 22, unfortunately my pace eased off slightly for the last four, really happy to get home in the time I did though.

I’ve got the big half in early September, then the great north run. Thinking I might sign up for the Frankfurt marathon at the end of October and get another marathon in before I go to Brazil for two weeks holiday in November and get on the beers!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Centre Half wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:36 am I completed the Edinburgh marathon on Sunday, my first marathon in 3 hours 21, which I was really chuffed about as I was hoping for a 3 hour 25.

Felt absolutely great up to about mile 21 or 22, after that it became a real struggle with heavy legs, and I had to really concentrate on just getting one foot in front of the other and just continuing running.

Was on for a 3 h 20 up until mile 22, unfortunately my pace eased off slightly for the last four, really happy to get home in the time I did though.

I’ve got the big half in early September, then the great north run. Thinking I might sign up for the Frankfurt marathon at the end of October and get another marathon in before I go to Brazil for two weeks holiday in November and get on the beers!
I've not done a marathon distance either but judging from how long it took me to do a half marathon, I'd say your time is about 30 minutes at least quicker than I'd have done it!
BrisbaneRoad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

Centre Half wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:36 am I completed the Edinburgh marathon on Sunday, my first marathon in 3 hours 21, which I was really chuffed about as I was hoping for a 3 hour 25.

That's really good so well done to you. Think that's pretty common to struggle from 21 so hat's off to keep going
Big Half is fast and flat providing you don't have too many people around you but again it's a good chance to run in London traffic free
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

3:21 is bloody good result I think, congratulations! I made that distance just once and I am mentally struggling to do it again. From time to time I do 30km, which is my current limit of running with some kind of pleasure. After this is a ****ing nightmare :)) But one friend of mine who does crazy 100 miles regularly told me that my bad experience was all about shitty supplying of carbs few days before my run. Duno, but I think I need to try again just to check if he is right:-)
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

That's a quality time mate. Well done!

I was back at it this morning. Just a 5.5k. Played 5 a side on Sunday so my legs were like concrete. Wasn't massively slow which was good. Need to start stepping it up again for Spitfire Scramble next month.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:41 pm My gut also agrees with this!
I'm sure you got in plenty of alternative forms of cardio exercise... so all is not lost
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

r99c wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:38 pm I'm sure you got in plenty of alternative forms of cardio exercise... so all is not lost
A gentleman never tells :winker:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Playing 5 a side last weekend has done me running wise. Ok I have run 3 times this week (last time this morning) but my legs are like lead weights.

Started off around my normal pace but after 2k I really struggled. Cant remember the last time I did a 5k so slow (14s shy of 30m). Playing again this Sunday so I guess I'll just have to suck it up for now and hope my legs acclimatise.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:27 pm Playing 5 a side last weekend has done me running wise. Ok I have run 3 times this week (last time this morning) but my legs are like lead weights.

Started off around my normal pace but after 2k I really struggled. Cant remember the last time I did a 5k so slow (14s shy of 30m). Playing again this Sunday so I guess I'll just have to suck it up for now and hope my legs acclimatise.
I gave up playing 5 a side at work... there were too many young ones turning up and running rings round me.

My new inov8 shoes turned up last week and felt a tiny bit narrow for my feet despite it having the highest width rating on the inov8 website. I ordered another pair half a size up and they feel a bit better. Still a bit of a squeeze width wise but I don't think it'll be an issue once I've had a few runs in them. It's only lightweight mesh after all.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Went for my first jog in ages today. A shade under 5k around a beautiful lagoon that I hiked around yesterday. Had to walk a couple of times as my heart rate was over 150 (had quite a few drinks Monday & Tuesday night).

My missus has signed up for a US Marine Boot Camp Challenge in October. 3 miles of obstacles & the like. She is currently the unfittest she's ever been & keeps talking about getting fit but never puts the effort in. Now she's going to ****ing well have to :lol:

Anyway, I won't be doing the challenge but it does mean I'll be helping her train so hopefully a lot more running this summer. My knee held up well today.

https://bootcampchallenge.com/
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Took her for a 5k today. She shaved 8 minutes off the time she did a month ago. Still around 20 minutes slower from her fastest time from a few years back. But an improvement is an improvement.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:27 am Had to walk a couple of times as my heart rate was over 150 (had quite a few drinks Monday & Tuesday night).
Is that bad? My heartrate is always over 150 when I run!
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

mine too, ish
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

In training for Spitfire Scramble, so 30.5km run in the last 7 days, which is a around 3-5k more than usual. Feeling a bit leggy, but hoping to squeeze a little leg loosener in over the weekend before another 10k Monday night.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

So in a turn up for the books I’m doing the London Marathon in October.

A friend of a friend works for a charity and they need a hand filling their places as they are struggling.

Training proper begins a week on Monday! Will target a 3h15 but in honesty if I come in quicker than my Edinburgh 3h21 I’ll be chuffed!
MitchamRob
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by MitchamRob »

Did a 5k for my 1st run in months last week. 38 minute's. Had another go this morning and with a galaxy watch telling me my speed ( or lack of) I managed to do it in under 36, 1st time I've done that well happy 😊
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Spitfire Scramble? Completed it mate.

4 x 5.75 mile laps over 24hrs as part of a team of 6. As a group we managed 25 laps. The heat was horrendous, but thankfully 2 of my laps were at night when it was nice and cool. Last lap was not enjoyable at all. Was about 26 degrees already at 10am :eyes: :fire: