Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Re: Running

Post by Igor_E7 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:09 pm I've just done my longest run so far at 26k, armed with only a 330ml Capri Sun drink.
I salute you!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I regret it today. The reason for the lack of drink was because i was only intending on doing 10k when I set off. I can normally manage that fine without any drink at all. The whopping 16g of sugar from the drink didn't really get me very far before I was running on empty. I think I pushed myself a bit too far after that as my groin and quad are a bit buggered today. I think I'll need at least a couple of days off.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

two weeks ago while doing half marathon distance I used an energy gel first time and it worked well I think. Next Sunday I will try to make 30km on 2 gels, on 10th and 20th km. I hope it will work too?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Igor_E7 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:11 pm two weeks ago while doing half marathon distance I used an energy gel first time and it worked well I think. Next Sunday I will try to make 30km on 2 gels, on 10th and 20th km. I hope it will work too?
I'm not sure on the energy gels... last time I tried them I didn't feel like I got much out of them. I found lucozade gave me a bigger boost. I also found them a bit overly sweet and sickly.

I was thinking about trying this again: https://www.bulk.com/uk/complete-hydration-drink.html

I used to use it on really long challenge walks and found it worked really well as an energy boost and hydrator. Still a bit sweet and sickly though. They also sell the raw ingredients dirt cheap if you want to knock together your own concoction - eg half a kilo of maltodextrin is only £1.49, 100 grams of electrolyte powder for £2.99, 100 grams of instant BCAA for £4.99
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Yeah, that sounds like a good option, the thing is that I never take any bottle for run; have no backpack or so and I don't think it would be fun to keep it all the run in hand :/
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Here's a dirt cheap one that HammerDivOneSon recommended to me quite a few pages back. It's worked well and comes with the bladder. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trail-run ... 58&c=BLACK
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Nice one, I take it, thanks! Btw, I am waiting for socks you have recommended, they will be delivered on Monday (just in time, as next week looks quite wet), you sir are a great seller! ;-)
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Hackney Half marathon today, official time 1 h 39 but my watch tells me I did 13.46 miles overall so clearly didn’t run the direct race line!

Averaged 7’22 minute miles through, last full mile at 7 minutes dead on.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Centre Half wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm Hackney Half marathon today, official time 1 h 39 but my watch tells me I did 13.46 miles overall so clearly didn’t run the direct race line!

Averaged 7’22 minute miles through, last full mile at 7 minutes dead on.
That's brilliant, Mate. Well done.

Funny, even after all these years away from London I still read that as Ackney Arf Marafon :lol:
HammerDivOneSon
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by HammerDivOneSon »

Igor_E7 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:11 pm two weeks ago while doing half marathon distance I used an energy gel first time and it worked well I think. Next Sunday I will try to make 30km on 2 gels, on 10th and 20th km. I hope it will work too?
Big fan of the energy gels. Had used them before when cycling long distances.

Essentially, you need to replenish some of the energy/carbs your body is expending when running longer distances to help prevent hitting the wall/bonking out. I find them easy to open whilst running, and easy to consume. Never really had any adverse effects from them, but take it easy with them the first time as each body is different I guess.

As a general rule of thumb, on a long run I have 1 gel every 35-40 mins. I think the general consensus is if you ever feel hungry when running, you've left it too late! I'll be taking 6 with me for the marathon this weekend...
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Been easing myself (knees & fat b*stard) back in with 2 mile runs here & there, plus a bit if cycling.

Going to challenge myself to run 100km in October & signing up for this run on November 6th. It's down & up a mining quarry down by the Mexican border. That will either make or break my knees :grin:

http://quarrycrusherrun.com/san-diego-registration/
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I seem to have messed up my groin and/or quad on my run last week. Not been able to run since. Serves me right for overdoing it.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

^^^^^^

Easily done Burnley. Now you know though :)

Last run of the month tomorrow. It will mean I have run every other day for the whole of September, so 15 runs in total. It will be the most runs and most KM I've ever done in a month. Pretty pleased with that.
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

Gentle 10K last night which is my last run until Sunday. Collecting my Bib at the Excel on Thursday and will treat the walk to and from the Stadium (Stratford Station) as my Thursday night exercise. Volunteering at my local ParkRun on Saturday so will walk the mile route that I usually take there and back.

Not going top lie, I'm starting to panic a bit now :oops:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Good luck to those doing the London Marathon this weekend.

I was at the first one (81 or 82?) down in Woolwich with my school band then the 2nd one I was down in Charlton handing out drinks to runners. I gave Jimmy Savile one & also that bloke that used to run around on an ostrich. Not Rod Hull, the other bloke who was a semi celebrity back then.

There was also another geezer who was dressed as a butler, complete with a tray full of drinks.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Shabu wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:24 pm Good luck to those doing the London Marathon this weekend.
COYI! :crest:
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

Thanks Shabu.

Nice that I get my first cold since the beginning of 2020 this week. As if the 26 mile run isn’t going to tough enough!!

Best of luck to the others doing London tomorrow.

When I did the virtual one last year, I missed the Leicester away match and that didn’t turn out too bad. Here’s hoping for a similar result tomorrow COYI :crest:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Did the virtual London Marathon this morning, 15 laps of Battersea Park and came in at 4:08:33, 55 minutes quicker than my previous marathon best!
Captain Slaphead
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Captain Slaphead »

Shabu wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:24 pm Good luck to those doing the London Marathon this weekend.
Duly completed.
4:46 -- it wasn't pretty over the last few miles!
Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience (in both senses!)
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Well done, London Marathon Hammers!

I made my very first 30kms today, I did not even know that LM is today, I thought it was yesterday. Need to say that I had struggled during my first half marathon much more than today, and I regret I did not plan to make 42kms today, that would be nice shadowing! (I also did not know about the Virtual Marathon thing, maybe I could do it next year, if I still will keep on running :) ). It was funny that I met a lot of LM runners while I ran opposite direction in Greenwich/Woolwich, I had to wave them prob hundreds times :D and was waiting until one of them tell me "mate, you run the wrong way" but finally it did not happen ;)