Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Re: Running

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Hammer1966 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:48 pm Some great motivational posts in the last couple of weeks. I got out for parkrun again this week. Slowly building back up.

Garmin question : My run no longer shows a map or location. It stopped 2 weeks ago. GPS seems to be working fine as it logs the time / distance etc. Turned it off / on again etc... Any ideas? Google was no help.
If you do need a new one, I've had great luck with Ebay before. Three used garmin watches I've bought from there now, no scratches on any of them, and all less than 50 quid.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:26 pm If you do need a new one, I've had great luck with Ebay before. Three used watches I've bought from there now, no scratches on any of them, and all less than 50 quid.
Thanks. Turns out I just needed to switch from GPS Glonass to GPS Galileo and it did the trick. No idea why. Could explain why it kept dropping the GPS when I was trying to hook on before a run. Anyway, seems to be sorted, cheers.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

The shitty weather has cleared up a bit up here in my part of Canada. Managed a 6 km run on Tuesday in -5 celcius at 4am. Today was a little better, did a 11 km run at 730am in a balmy 4 degrees.

My knees and down are quite sore. I have a new pair of nike pegasus coming in a week or so, hopefully that will help with some of the pain.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Wanted to try and do 100k this month, but February probably the dumbest month to try given it's 3 less days. Currently on 68.6, so i think 80-85k is more achievable, which is still good obviously.

Left knee still a bit sore, but not effecting my running at all. Just feel it a bit after. Also seemed to have pulled a muscle or something just below my left but cheek :crylol: Thought that might hamper me this morning but that didn't either. Ran a fast time too somehow.

Another 47k in these shoes then time to get a proper bespoke pair. Getting a bonus from work soon so wont worry about the cost on this occasion.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

So I was hoping to do my first 50k ultra distance this year. Due to this Haglund's deformity / achilles tendonitis / achilles bursitis / whatever that I seem to be suffering with, I think that's going to be difficult. I'm fine for 10k, maybe even 20k - but beyond that, I end up getting a very tender spot on the back of my heels. The worst it got was last year when I tried trail running the yorkshire 3 peaks... very painful. As my running shoes all tend to be 4mm drop, I'm wondering if it would improve things if I put a heel lift in. I've read that shoes with a higher heel to toe drop put less pressure on the achilles and the ankle (but possibly more on the knees).
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I need some new running shows as mine are starting to wear through on the toes at the moment. They are years old, mind.

Did a 23:42 5k on Monday evening, not bad for within a month of getting back to it.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:07 pm I need some new running shows as mine are starting to wear through on the toes at the moment. They are years old, mind.

Did a 23:42 5k on Monday evening, not bad for within a month of getting back to it.
That’s me deflated….. :winker:

I rarely hit the snug, but when I do, this and the mental health thread are the two threads I get to first.

I had no problems through lockdown, but then when the house emptied out after my wife and kids went back to work and school respectively, I started to notice a change in mood and the constant feeling of hating sitting in the house (I work from home). Work then continued to pile more and more work on to an already loaded workload, and I got to the point where I felt f*** it, if I don’t do something, I’ll got nuts.

I’d already started refereeing again, so that got me out of the house, but injuries, a bone spur on one foot and Achilles tendinopathy on the other put paid to regular exercise for a bit. The NHS physio was very good and gave me stretches and strengthening exercises before recommending the couch to 5k. I loved it, although it took longer than 8 weeks due to ‘life’ - I also struggle to start a run, “there’s always tomorrow”, so it was once/ twice a week rather than 3 times.

I’ve since found the Nike Run Club app on the iPhone and have found it very useful to vary different run types, although the motivational coaching is incredibly cheesy - BUT, my fitness levels have improved, once I get running (i still struggle to get going), I enjoy it and it really helps unwind and I’ve also lost weight (stone and a half through running and cutting back) - refereeing has also become easier, as I’m more up with play and can actually speak to players after a sprint rather than just wheezing at them. Which does me and the players justice (it’s a fairly high(ish) standard of football) as well.

I have my first 5k, which I’m hoping to hit around the 30 minute mark, over the weekend, although I’m a little bit apprehensive about being the first one and all. I have no doubt I’ll be fine.

TLDR; I started running in the summer, and in a fit of ‘madness’ signed up for a 5k which now happens to be Sunday.

On Tuesday I did 5k in 30:53 - which I was quite proud of until I read your time, then I looked it up and, thankfully, for my age is about right (apparently). It’s not going to win any medals - well actually we all get a medal - but it’ll be an achievement and I can cross it off the bucket list.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Sounds like you're smashing it to me, mick. Everyone's different and all that.
mickthekeeper

Post by mickthekeeper »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:05 am Sounds like you're smashing it to me, mick. Everyone's different and all that.
Tbh, I realise that, but your post was a catalyst for me posting about it - I’d debated posting a number of times and had started once or twice before stopping.

I just needed the ‘inspiration’ to post - so thanks!
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

mickthekeeper wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 pm
I have my first 5k, which I’m hoping to hit around the 30 minute mark, over the weekend, although I’m a little bit apprehensive about being the first one and all. I have no doubt I’ll be fine.

TLDR; I started running in the summer, and in a fit of ‘madness’ signed up for a 5k which now happens to be Sunday.

On Tuesday I did 5k in 30:53 - which I was quite proud of until I read your time, then I looked it up and, thankfully, for my age is about right (apparently). It’s not going to win any medals - well actually we all get a medal - but it’ll be an achievement and I can cross it off the bucket list.
Good luck Mick.

The first time you do an organised 5k run it seems like forever. Even though you've trained a fair bit it still feels like you have ages to go when you're halfway through.

Not sure if you have access to a treadmill but a great addition to your training is Tabata uphill sprints. Tabata is 8 x 20 second bursts with a 10 second break in between. I do two types on the treadmill. I either set it at 10 incline then run a 5mph first 20 seconds then add 0.2mph each batch. Or I start the same but add 0.5 on the incline each 20 seconds. It only takes about 5 minutes in total but you'll find it makes amazing gains on your lung capacity & thigh muscles. I do this a couple of times a week.

I also use this method on the rowing machine, continuous ropes & battle ropes.

https://www.active.com/fitness/articles ... a-training
mickthekeeper

Post by mickthekeeper »

Shabu wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:20 am Good luck Mick.

The first time you do an organised 5k run it seems like forever. Even though you've trained a fair bit it still feels like you have ages to go when you're halfway through.

Not sure if you have access to a treadmill but a great addition to your training is Tabata uphill sprints. Tabata is 8 x 20 second bursts with a 10 second break in between. I do two types on the treadmill. I either set it at 10 incline then run a 5mph first 20 seconds then add 0.2mph each batch. Or I start the same but add 0.5 on the incline each 20 seconds. It only takes about 5 minutes in total but you'll find it makes amazing gains on your lung capacity & thigh muscles. I do this a couple of times a week.

I also use this method on the rowing machine, continuous ropes & battle ropes.

https://www.active.com/fitness/articles ... a-training
Thanks Shabu.

I promised to start going to the gym with my son, so have just signed up (again) and will give the above a go! Might have to ease into it though. They sound like they’ll kill me first time out :grin:
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

mickthekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:37 pm Thanks Shabu.

I promised to start going to the gym with my son, so have just signed up (again) and will give the above a go! Might have to ease into it though. They sound like they’ll kill me first time out :grin:
There's a free Tabata app you can download. Start off with just walking uphill, 20 seconds at a time. Then gradually increase the speed & the incline.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

I’m 187km ran so far this year, with a goal of 1,000km. Started to feel an ominous ache inside my left shin so no doubt there’ll be a period of R&R shortly.

Also completed 16 yoga workouts with Apple Fitness this year (98 yoga workouts last year). Makes a world of difference.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

A nice smooth long run today, spoiled somewhat by massive griping stomach pain 3 miles from home. Made it in time, but by God it was close. It’s amazing how you can clear an entire staircase in two steps when you need to…
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:56 pm A nice smooth long run today, spoiled somewhat by massive griping stomach pain 3 miles from home. Made it in time, but by God it was close. It’s amazing how you can clear an entire staircase in two steps when you need to…
I have two rules with running.

1. Don't run unless it's been at least 2 hours since I last ate. Normally I try and make it 3.
2. Don't run unless I've had my daily poo.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I’m usually very strict with my bowel management. Thought I’d voided properly today, but judging by the volume and ferocity of what I jettisoned when I returned, I’d clearly made a near-catastrophic misjudgement.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Managed a full 5k running with no walking at all since June last year at parkrun this morning. Starting to slowly feel like I can run again. It makes such a difference to how I feel generally so am really happy about that.
mickthekeeper

Post by mickthekeeper »

mickthekeeper wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 pm
So, back from my first organised 5k and thoroughly enjoyed it and posted a time of 30:27 which I’m chuffed with - has given me a real sense of achievement.

A faster time than I thought given the bunching at the start and for about a KM before we started to spread out a bit

I nice park run that started a little hillier than I’m used to but flattened out over the last 2.5k which was reflected in my mile splits - never did I feel like I was struggling or that I couldn’t ‘up the pace’ which I did (well, I ran a little faster) in the home straight
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Well done Mick, great effort mate.