Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Re: Running

Post by Igor_E7 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:04 am Not me but Mrs. Boots. Now well into her sixties her marathon times have got slower from a PB of 3:28. Her last few, admittedly trail rather than road races, have been around 4:30. She wanted to do 4:10 to keep her 'good for age' entries going for London (this was her 12th London and 91st marathon). She was ecstatic and walking on air for the rest of yesterday when she did it in 3:54.
Great result, congratulations!!!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Thanks. Just to rub it in she cycled to work this morning :grin:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Igor_E7 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:43 am The LM, did anyone make it this year?
Yeah I did it!

Ran 3h15m which is 6 minutes off my Edinburgh time in May.

The last 10k isn’t any easier the second marathon, or third I suspect!
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

3:15, wow! Fantastic! Congrats mate!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Though I don't really enjoy road running so much, a part of me is interested in the London Marathon. I may consider it for next year. One thing it has in its favour is I don't need to worry about my stupid cow phobia. I've entered a 100k ultra for next September but it's cross country and I just know I'm going to fail when I hit a cow field and can't bring myself to cross it!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Thats a cow phobia thats stupid by the way, not a phobia of stupid cows.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Ran a half marathon today. I eat well and I’m fit, but never been a long-distance runner due to the copious amounts of injuries I picked up when playing football and the fact I was a decent sprinter in my youth.

Started running 5k in June twice a week to accompany a bi-weekly yoga routine and a long / relatively fast (2+ hour) walk every Sunday morning.

I got up to 15k last Friday and thought that as I’m close to the half distance, I’d work my way up to it.

But then all week I’ve been restless and I started to challenge myself - I knew where it was heading!

Did it in 2hr01 - which I know isn’t fast but not overly concerned over the time. I ran all of the way and was on my own. Genuinely proud of myself for doing it.

Back to 2x 10k’s a week now (unless I win in the ballot for the next LM!).
bracknellhammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by bracknellhammer »

4:25:25 at London last week. 21 minutes quicker than last year so really happy with that!!

I needed a wee at 16 miles and it took a while to get going again.

Saw a couple of runners in hammers shirts too :hamm:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Did my first 10k for a good few months on Saturday. Been doing 6's and 7's with the odd 8 here and there. Was getting a bit of a mental barrier in regards to the 10, thinking ahhh that's a long way, and not wanting to do it. Really glad to overcome that feeling and get it done. Will try and do another soon, as the longer I leave it the harder the motivation will be.

Bashed out a 7k this morning and surprisingly felt really good. Could have carried on going if it'd have had the time. Maybe I'll try another 10k at the weekend. I really would like to do bigger distances, but to do that i need to keep up the longer runs and do less short ones.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. »

Did another half this morning. Knees didn't like it one bit so will need to pull myself back a little.

Saying that, just registered for the Brentwood Half next March. We're due to play Villa on the 11th but that'll be moved because of the European game on the 9th so I'll be jumping on the train ****ed!
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think I overdid it with all the steep downhill runs. I've not been able to do anything for the last week due to a dodgy knee. Too much impact.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

My Missus just did a Marine Boot Camp Challenge 5km with obstacle course, push ups etc while some bloke shouts at you.

She's wanted to do that for twenty years so is on a high now.

Now she's signing us up for a half through the Redwoods in northern California next May. Should be fun.

https://www.theave.org/
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Did a charity 5km this morning. Finished in 29.12 which surprised me as I haven't trained a lot this year. My watch said it was only 4.8k though
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm still struggling with my knee. Thought it had sorted itself out so I tried a 10k run on Friday which I managed fine. My knee issue flared up again about an hour later though. I may try a couple of weeks on the bike instead.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Currently going through some achilles tendonitis rehab which is proving to take longer and be more stubborn than I'd like. My mate who has always been slower than me has decided now is the perfect time to make running his no.1 priority and increase his running volume by 50%-100%... so infuriating!
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:34 pm Currently going through some achilles tendonitis rehab which is proving to take longer and be more stubborn than I'd like. My mate who has always been slower than me has decided now is the perfect time to make running his no.1 priority and increase his running volume by 50%-100%... so infuriating!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Back to it this morning after nearly a week off (on holiday). Felt good as although I'd done a fair bit of walking I'd also eaten a lot of ***** and drunk a lot.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Been doing uphill sprints on the treadmill lately. 8 x 30 second bursts on 10 grade with 10 seconds rest in between.

Went for an actual jog today, my usual 5km route & my legs felt amazing but I've been binging the booze lately so after about halfway I noticed my heart rate was over 160, so I walked for a minute to bring it down. Started jogging again once it got to 130 & it rapidly shot up again. Ended up jogwalking the rest. Shame as I felt good.

Off to Cabo this weekend but once I get back I'm back on the wagon.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:06 pm Been doing uphill sprints on the treadmill lately. 8 x 30 second bursts on 10 grade with 10 seconds rest in between.

Went for an actual jog today, my usual 5km route & my legs felt amazing but I've been binging the booze lately so after about halfway I noticed my heart rate was over 160, so I walked for a minute to bring it down. Started jogging again once it got to 130 & it rapidly shot up again. Ended up jogwalking the rest. Shame as I felt good.

Off to Cabo this weekend but once I get back I'm back on the wagon.
My heart rate tends to be over 160 for at least half of every run I do.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:52 pm My heart rate tends to be over 160 for at least half of every run I do.
I know your maximum is 220 minus your age which makes 166 for me so I had visions of my heart just exploding as I jogged :lol: