Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: Running

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:13 pm Wanted to try and do 100k this month, but February probably the dumbest month to try given it's 3 less days. Currently on 68.6, so i think 80-85k is more achievable, which is still good obviously.
Got absolutely rat arsed on Friday night, run never happened on Saturday, had to work Saturday night until 2am, then up at 8am to take the boy football so Sunday never happened either. Yesterday I still felt bloody knackered so dodged it then as well.

Early night last night, up and out at just before 8am and did 9k. 2.4k short of 80k :lol:

Lesson learned. Don't drink pints with whiskey chasers if you want to run over the weekend and you are in your 40's. Not happening.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. »

I've had to give myself this week off as that dull ache inside my left shin has been prominent in the mornings. I'm 43 this year and know my body well enough to ease off (absolutely something I didn't do when younger, and regularly pay the price nowadays!). Hopefully it's only a week of rest needed.

I noticed that I've done around 650km in my shoes too, and whilst they look fine, I've also switched them out.

Feel so much more sluggish and tired without being able to run this week.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

The marathon training is kicking in now and my appetite is through the roof, god knows how hungry I'll be in a months time.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

PF. wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pm
I noticed that I've done around 650km in my shoes too, and whilst they look fine, I've also switched them out.
They say you should swap out at around 550km. Fortunately with the Nike APP you can load up your shoe and put in a distance limit so you can keep an eye on it. 511km on my Asics, so not much further with those. Also have a waterproof trail pair which came in handy over December & January.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I may give up my weekend long run for a couple of weeks and do a long indoor bike session instead - give my achilles tendon a break. I do have some sorbathane heel lifts on order so I'm hoping they'll help the next time I do a long run.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:40 pm I may give up my weekend long run for a couple of weeks and do a long indoor bike session instead - give my achilles tendon a break. I do have some sorbathane heel lifts on order so I'm hoping they'll help the next time I do a long run.
Be very interested to hear how you get on with the heel lifts. I've really struggled with achilles tendonitis the last 6 months, its massively reduced my mileage and put stops on a lot of races I was intending to run this year :cried:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:45 pm Be very interested to hear how you get on with the heel lifts. I've really struggled with achilles tendonitis the last 6 months, its massively reduced my mileage and put stops on a lot of races I was intending to run this year :cried:
From what I can gather, low drop running shows (which many tend to be these days) put less stress on the knees but more on the ankle and achilles. My running shoes have a 4mm drop I think... I'm hoping that by using the heel lift and increasing it by another 5mm, it'll reduce the stress on my achilles. I'll let you know next time I do a 20k+ run.
Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:21 pm From what I can gather, low drop running shows (which many tend to be these days) put less stress on the knees but more on the ankle and achilles. My running shoes have a 4mm drop I think... I'm hoping that by using the heel lift and increasing it by another 5mm, it'll reduce the stress on my achilles. I'll let you know next time I do a 20k+ run.
Yeah that seems to be what I've read as well which makes sense as my achilles have gradually got worse and worse since using more "racey" less cushioned shoes.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:45 pm Be very interested to hear how you get on with the heel lifts. I've really struggled with achilles tendonitis the last 6 months, its massively reduced my mileage and put stops on a lot of races I was intending to run this year :cried:
I couldn’t recommend them enough - the doctor told me I have Achilles tendinopathy (over the phone no less), and rubber heel lifts have helped no end.

I’ve also started using a mixture of calf compression sleeves and KT tape depending on the type of running I’m doing (straight line or refereeing where there are more twists and turns).

No idea if the KT tape really works, but tried it once and didn’t have the sharp pain in my Achilles, so have just continued to use it :chin:
Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

Had a bit of a confidence crushing run on Sunday. I decided to up my mileage and try for a 15 km run but after about 2 km I was already struggling. I couldn't find a rhythm, my breathing was all messed up, and my body just didn't want to move. The good news, is that I forced myself to finish the 15, but the bad news is that I had to walk/run through the whole 15. I went away worried about the half marathon that I signed up for in May.

After some thinking, I have decided to take a different approach to my running. Take more of a training approach. Long runs, combined with very slow recovery runs and will try to mix in a little bit of interval training. I will also be paying much more attention to my pace(using some of the settings on my fancy watch).

I did a 5km run on Wednesday, and followed that up with an 8 km run on Thursday. Kept my pace no quicker than 5:50/km. I was able to finish both runs without walking, and felt strong at the end of both. Next week, I will start mixing my training up a bit more.

After the confidence crush of my Sunday run, I am feeling a bit better about myself now.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Dayinthelife wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:37 am Had a bit of a confidence crushing run on Sunday. I decided to up my mileage and try for a 15 km run but after about 2 km I was already struggling. I couldn't find a rhythm, my breathing was all messed up, and my body just didn't want to move. The good news, is that I forced myself to finish the 15, but the bad news is that I had to walk/run through the whole 15. I went away worried about the half marathon that I signed up for in May.

After some thinking, I have decided to take a different approach to my running. Take more of a training approach. Long runs, combined with very slow recovery runs and will try to mix in a little bit of interval training. I will also be paying much more attention to my pace(using some of the settings on my fancy watch).

I did a 5km run on Wednesday, and followed that up with an 8 km run on Thursday. Kept my pace no quicker than 5:50/km. I was able to finish both runs without walking, and felt strong at the end of both. Next week, I will start mixing my training up a bit more.

After the confidence crush of my Sunday run, I am feeling a bit better about myself now.
Easy pace running is the key to getting quicker.

Everyone is always striving to build as strong aerobic base as possible, that’s the foundation to running success. You build that at easier paces, there is little benefit in running quickly when aiming to build an aerobic base. All you do is batter your legs.

Running most of your runs at easy pace means you’ll feel fresh to run those intervals and threshold sessions. This is where you can make real fitness gains.

On my running, absolutely buzzing to have got a New York marathon place for November!
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

Doing a 5k on Friday. It's a free one run by the US Navy on a private golf course they own.

About ten of us from work have signed up & I'm probably double the age of most of the others so I HAVE to finish in under 30 minutes. Depending on the day I finish anywhere between 29.30 & 33.00 minutes so we shall see.

I haven't actually ran 5km in a couple of weeks since I had my shingles vaccine although I've done a couple of hill sprints on the treadmill this week.

Will do a 5k Tuesday then a hilly hike on Wednesday to prepare.
Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy »

Is anyone doing Brentwood Half at the weekend, it's going to have to be quick to make the Villa game!
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. »

Arch Dandy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:49 am Is anyone doing Brentwood Half at the weekend, it's going to have to be quick to make the Villa game!
I'm in but have doubts now as I'm carrying a shin injury. I did a 10k yesterday after rest and it's flared up again.

Just a heads-up, there is no TFL rail again from Brentwood this weekend mate.
Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU »

mickthekeeper wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:57 pm I couldn’t recommend them enough - the doctor told me I have Achilles tendinopathy (over the phone no less), and rubber heel lifts have helped no end.

I’ve also started using a mixture of calf compression sleeves and KT tape depending on the type of running I’m doing (straight line or refereeing where there are more twists and turns).

No idea if the KT tape really works, but tried it once and didn’t have the sharp pain in my Achilles, so have just continued to use it :chin:
Cheers Mick, I think its getting better but reckon getting these heel lifts might just help me stay on feet for a bit longer and just take the pressure of the achilles whilst I'm still doing rehab.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:55 am Cheers Mick, I think its getting better but reckon getting these heel lifts might just help me stay on feet for a bit longer and just take the pressure of the achilles whilst I'm still doing rehab.
I bought these... https://www.shoeinsoles.co.uk/sorbothan ... -pads.html

Thought they'd give a nice bit of additional shock absorption on top of the heel lift. They're 6mm thick which increases the drop on my running shoes from 4mm to 10mm. Did a 10k run the other day with them and all seemed OK, although that distance isn't really long enough to properly test. They are naturally sticky on one side and have material glued to the top as they are meant to be used on top of the insoles. Personally I didn't like that and found they fit better and stayed in place better if I peeled off the material and put them under the insole.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Never ran at all before but for some reason starting replacing my incline 'fast walk' with a ran just after christmas at the gym, very quickly did 5km and now I'm now doing 10km 2-3 times a week (increasing the speed of the treadmill as well) , the satisfaction of getting to 10km has been great.

I'd like to move it outside but I feel like a bit of a 'wally' running to be honest, but at some point will give it a go, never going to run marathons but at 45 a never doing this before it is a nice addition to my gym routine (got bored with the little weights routine I do recently.)

My brother is training for some ultra-marathon later this year.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 am Never ran at all before but for some reason starting replacing my incline 'fast walk' with a ran just after christmas at the gym, very quickly did 5km and now I'm now doing 10km 2-3 times a week (increasing the speed of the treadmill as well) , the satisfaction of getting to 10km has been great.

I'd like to move it outside but I feel like a bit of a 'wally' running to be honest, but at some point will give it a go, never going to run marathons but at 45 a never doing this before it is a nice addition to my gym routine (got bored with the little weights routine I do recently.)

Give it a go... I think I was 45 when I started, and pretty much went couch to 5k in a week, and then maybe another week or two to get to 10k. I think all the hiking over years and the indoor cycling I did during the lockdown summer helped a lot. Just over 12 months after starting, I was attempting to trail run the Yorkshire Three Peaks (something I won't be attempting again in a hurry). If you enjoy it and you feel like a natural at it then get out and do it. If you feel self conscious then get into trail running and go running in the much quieter countryside. I always prefer that, and running along roads does bore me a little bit.
Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy »

PF. wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:38 am I'm in but have doubts now as I'm carrying a shin injury. I did a 10k yesterday after rest and it's flared up again.

Just a heads-up, there is no TFL rail again from Brentwood this weekend mate.
Ok, well that makes that decision..
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 am Never ran at all before but for some reason starting replacing my incline 'fast walk' with a ran just after christmas at the gym, very quickly did 5km and now I'm now doing 10km 2-3 times a week (increasing the speed of the treadmill as well) , the satisfaction of getting to 10km has been great.

Without sounding patronising, before you start outside running do a 5 or 10k treadmill run on a 3 elevation as that's what they reckon road running is equal to.