Gods of Snooker

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Gods of Snooker

Post by Up the Junction »

New series on the BBC. Part One centred on Alex Higgins - an excellent watch. Home page here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000w0pv
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: Gods of Snooker

Post by taust68 »

Yea I watched it surprisingly good, next week about Jimmy White who says a great line about taking crack cocaine
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

BBC advertising it as NEW.

It isnt. It was on a few years back. The Alex Higgins and 1985 final were definitely repeats.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:51 am BBC advertising it as NEW. It isnt. It was on a few years back. The Alex Higgins and 1985 final were definitely repeats.
Different programmes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... ball-final
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:27 pm Different programmes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... ball-final
Beg pardon. :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Being a massive Higgins and White fan I loved watching this. I still enjoy watching snooker but not to the extent I did when the Hurricane was in his pomp followed by his natural successor The Whirlwind.
Higgins was the reason I started watching snooker and he ruffled feathers left right and centre and it’s fair to say, despite all of his shortcomings of which there were many, without Alex Higgins, snooker today would be very different. He ignited an interest from people who would never of dreamed of switching the tv on to watch Rex Williams vs Eddie Charlton.
In the first episode Ray Reardon is interviewed and he came across as rather bitter that despite winning 6 world titles, compared to Higgins 2 world titles, people have forgotten about him and always want to talk to him about Alex. I though that spoke volumes of the influence of Alex Higgins even years after his death.
I would also recommend his biography, From the Eye of the Hurricane - My Story , it’s a warts and all tale of a flawed genius who single handedly revolutionised snooker.
So sad that he ended up penniless and a shadow of his former self after years of hard drinking and heavy smoking had ravaged his body.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Sorry don't know how to attach it but nice little bit on BBC website about Ray Reardon.

Ripe old age of 90.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Reardon was the absolute daddy. The first grandmaster of the colour TV age.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:17 pm Reardon was the absolute daddy. The first grandmaster of the colour TV age.
I saw Ray make a 147 at Butlin's in the 80s. His lady competitor (who was in a wheelchair) broke off and didn't get another shot. Ray - ever the gentleman - apologised to her after but said that he couldn't refuse a maximum! Charm and competitiveness embodied in one man.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Me and my mate played a game of doubles against the best two in the working mens club one legendary Friday night, kicked their butts so we did, we were Gods of Snooker for a minute that day.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

John Spencer is extremely underrated these days. You never really hear him mentioned like other great players. He was pretty equal to Ray Reardon and Alex Higgins.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Ive said it before and I’ll doubtless say it again but i don’t think there is a more odious person in sport than Ronnie O’Sullivan. It is absolutely shameful how much he digs out the sport that has given him everything and I’m utterly astonished at how much of a free pass he gets from fans of the sport in regard to his pathetic outbursts.

The blokes a nasty little creep who at the age of 46 continues to behave like a child. He is an incredible talent but I have to say I think the game would be better off without him in the long run. Unfortunately, like a spoilt child, his poor behaviour has been tolerated and as such it has gotten worse. Start fining him for bringing the game into disrepute and if he threatens to leave (for the umpteenth time) let him!!!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Or alternatively, as has been exhibited time and time before in various people in various capacities that are a one off, Ronnie O'Sullivan is a flawed genius that had it all at a very young age, knows nothing else, and has sadly become a very troubled individual whilst displaying an immense talent whilst having to deal with demons in his mind.

For somebody to describe another human being that quite clearly has major psychological issues as 'odious' and a 'nasty little creep' shows a level of ignorance that has no bounds.

Maybe if you ever get the time, perhaps take a read of this thread and perhaps your judgements of people with mental health issues may not be quite as nasty in the future.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted. [/i
Last edited by the pink palermo on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Digging out a mod
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:30 am The hypocrisy in your post is utterly laughable. You have called some on here a lot worse than creep or odious and if you deny it your lying cos I’ve read it - a number of times. So for you to take the moral high ground is quite frankly hysterical.

Oh look, there's that line you always throw out to moderators when they dare to pull you up about something.

Now, if you have the time and inclination, show me evidence of your accusation, because despite this picture you have built up of me, and your frequent accusations against me (which always get put on your usernotes, so the evidence is there, towards me and multiple members of the moderating team), show me where I have done this - because I am 100% confident, you're yet again embellishing because you have has something said to you that you do not like.

Then you throw words about like hysterical and call me a liar.

You're treading a very, fine line that has no basis. I look forward to you showing me evidence to the contrary.

The only thing that's embarrassing, is yet another one of your tirades against the moderation team for daring to have a different opinion to you.

I suggest you look at your own posting style from here on in.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Ironilunga, you have a PM.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

IronIlunga, Ronnie O'Sullivan has a well-known history of mental health problems related directly and indirectly to his snooker career.

https://www.eurosport.com/snooker/europ ... tory.shtml

Whether or not anyone has been called worse than "creep" or "odious" here at KUMB isn't really thie issue; it's to whom those descriptions have been applied here without maybe further consideration as to that person's motivations

Any issues you may have with DLs moderation - I appreciate you've stated that this is not the case - in this or any other matter is a separate matter entirely. You can speak to him by PM or, if you like, speak to another moderator or the boss by a similar channel. But arguing on the thread pulls the thread off-topic, so I won't be doing that. It's nothing personal and you may of course contact me by PM too. :newthumb:

EDIT I see Pinky's contacting you privately. :newthumb:
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

last.caress wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 am IronIlunga, Ronnie O'Sullivan has a well-known history of mental health problems related directly and indirectly to his snooker career.
I would never dispute someone suggesting they have mental health issues. However, it is possible to be a creep and odious and also suffer with mental health problems - those two things can co-exist and to suggest otherwise is a form of inverted discrimination IMO - treating people differently because they have a mental health issue (not suggesting that you are doing this btw 👍)

A mental illness didn’t, for example, compel Ronnie O’Sullivan to tell a press conference in China, women amongst it, to suck his ****. It didn’t compel him to humiliate a referee or refuse to shake an opponents hand after a 147. It didn’t compel him to make obscene gestures when playing or to call out other players or continually bag the state of facilities or the quality of officiating and it didn’t make him assault a press officer.

Odious means ‘extremely unpleasant’. Creep means the same. I think it fits with O’Sullivans behaviour.