Government "fan-led" review/ Regulator/White paper

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Big George
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Government "fan-led" review/ Regulator/White paper

Post by Big George »

Kev Miles is going to have to do a lot of representing.

Last edited by Big George on Sat May 22, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Re: “Fan-led” review?

Post by WebmasterFF »

I know what you mean, it would have been good to have a couple of other supporter group leads there however would that then dictate it more in favour of those clubs (for example the spirit of Shankley group making it beneficial to Liverpool)

The list appears fairly balanced in representing every area and on paper looks like a good mix

One from the FSA representing fans
One Chief Executive from a PL Club (who were against the ESL)
One director from a lower league representing Football League Clubs
A former secretary representing non league clubs
One representing players
One knowledgeable around football finance
A head of a major English sporting body independent of football
One representing womens football
Big George

Post by Big George »

Not sure many of that out pass the “cold nights in Stoke” test. Most of them would already be welcome in their clubs’ boardrooms which rather defeats the point.

Danny Finkelstein is a case in point, he may be an Arsenal STH but he’s not going to push for meaningful change.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Where’s the esports or LBGTQ rep?!?

Will say, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Clarke Carlisle, and the bloke is as working class and as smart and passionate as anyone you’ll meet when it comes to football. Really really lovely chap.
Big George

Post by Big George »

e17 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:22 am
Will say, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Clarke Carlisle, and the bloke is as working class and as smart and passionate as anyone you’ll meet when it comes to football. Really really lovely chap.
A friend of mine had some dealings with him, he is less complimentary.

Not sure Lord F is helping himself here.

Last edited by Big George on Sat May 22, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Re: Only one fan on Govt's “Fan-led” review.

Post by Mega Ron »

The FSA are part of the establishment now anyway.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I agree with BG, a more accurate description would be to call it a football executives led review. They might as well have Gold and Sullivan on it, they are fans as well after all.

What an absolute waste of an opportunity for real fan engagement and fresh sets of eyes.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Mega Ron wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:49 pm The FSA are part of the establishment now anyway.
Possibly.

If you spend a long time lobbying the same people for change you eventually get a touch too comfortable, a bit too close to the people you started out seeking to change.

A kind of Stockholm syndrome.

The anger over the proposed ESL caused an outcry that wanted real change in football governance, what may come in several years time is a minor tinkering around the edges, with the likes of the FSA possibly accepting the best deal they can get, rather than pushing hard for genuine reform.

The danger is they will believe, when told, that certain things cannot be changed, when, in truth, it's usually just a lack of will.
Big George

Post by Big George »

Mega Ron wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:49 pm The FSA are part of the establishment now anyway.
I think that is very harsh on Kev. He was prime driver behind a lot of good things that have happened in Football (away price cap for example). He was be a, possibly the only, solid voice in there.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Big George wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:42 pm I think that is very harsh on Kev. He was prime driver behind a lot of good things that have happened in Football (away price cap for example). He was be a, possibly the only, solid voice in there.
I agree that they have been great. I just don't think they quite represent the fans as much as they use to. There is a lot more focusing on the clubs and I think it's to their detriment.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Kialos wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:57 pm I agree with BG, a more accurate description would be to call it a football executives led review. They might as well have Gold and Sullivan on it, they are fans as well after all.
They purport to be.
Definitely fans of money though.
Watford 'Ammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Watford 'Ammer »

Slightly off topic, but an FSA update linked to match-days:

http://hammersunited.com/police-crime-s ... rutinised/
whuisa_bonds_H
Total likes: 1 like

Post by whuisa_bonds_H »

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/premier-league-fan-groups-give-evidence-to-the-fan-led-review/

Earlier this week, supporters from fan groups in the FSA’s Premier League network gave evidence to the government’s fan-led review. The chair, Tracey Crouch MP, and the rest of the panel heard from a number of supporters trusts and fan groups about the big issues in the top flight.

“WHUISA were delighted to be able to take part in the presentation to Tracey Crouch and to hear from other Premier League clubs on the issues affecting the game.

“Our Chair, Sue Watson, spoke about the history of a football club and how the cultural heritage develops from that, leading into the impact of this on supporters of all generations. She described how a culture grows out of the shared stories, the memories, the rituals, songs, and the home stadium itself. However, she emphasized that the most important aspect of the cultural heritage are the supporters – while owners and shareholders come and go, supporter loyalty remains consistent.

“We argued for the introduction of a golden share as it would ensure that the best aspects of a well-run business become part of how the Club relates to its supporters. Decisions arising from business plans, whether stadium moves, training facilities and badges, would be made with those who are the most emotionally invested in their clubs.

“Finally, Sue gave a passionate and emotive description of the impact on her that followed the move from the Boleyn Ground to the London Stadium. From a deeply personal perspective, she described how moving to the new ground has decimated the culture of West Ham fans who must pick up the pieces and attempt to fit new memories into that heritage.”
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Well done Sue :newthumb:
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

I find myself in the odd position of coming on here to defend Danny Finkelstein!

I’ve read his column for donkeys years in the Times, and despite being a Chelsea fan he genuinely seems to ‘get it.’ He strikes me as a genuine advocate for fair play and a level playing field, and I’m sure I’ve often read him criticising the greed that has spoilt the game. As well as being a true football fanatic (indeed, obsessive) he obviously has friends in high places, a platform to air his views and influence amongst the powers that be.

Put it this way, he’s no more or less of a fan than me, but he might be a bit better than I would be sitting on that committee and trying to drive change.

I met him a couple of times too, briefly. Seems a decent enough bloke.
Big George

Post by Big George »

OohAahButler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:03 pm I find myself in the odd position of coming on here to defend Danny Finkelstein!

I met him a couple of times too, briefly. Seems a decent enough bloke.
I don't care how nice he is or that he is a fan, this review was designed to give the average match going fans a voice. He's a Government Peer who is close to the Prime Minister, a man who a piece TODAY in the Times saying there's nothing wrong with giving fat contracts to mates.

He is not a man for a fan led review.

I doubt he's ever struggled to get a ticket for any game home, away or cup finals, or even not been able to afford to go, he's probably never been kettled, been marched round Birmingham by West Mids Police for two hours, had to do the cardiac busting climb to the St James' Park away end or ever had a dissenting view from the PL and the goons that run his club.

If you accept him on the review, you might as well have Brady.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

There's a lot riding on this for the FSA.

They have been actively trying to work with PL boards to establish dialogue and recognised Trusts. At HU we were asked if we were just a protest group or more than that?

If there is no tangible progress with the ISC here or this review, then fans should abandon all dialogue. Direct action has proven itself far more effective in the last couple of months.

It's a ridiculous panel. I respect a number of them but not as fans' representatives.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Big George wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:31 pm I don't care how nice he is or that he is a fan, this review was designed to give the average match going fans a voice. He's a Government Peer who is close to the Prime Minister, a man who a piece TODAY in the Times saying there's nothing wrong with giving fat contracts to mates.

He is not a man for a fan led review.

I doubt he's ever struggled to get a ticket for any game home, away or cup finals, or even not been able to afford to go, he's probably never been kettled, been marched round Birmingham by West Mids Police for two hours, had to do the cardiac busting climb to the St James' Park away end or ever had a dissenting view from the PL and the goons that run his club.

If you accept him on the review, you might as well have Brady.
I was taking your points on board until you compared him to Brady!

Agreed: he’s not an everyday fan.
Agreed: there should be more of the long-suffering type of fan that you describe on there.

But he’s not a morally-bankrupt, hypocritical, self-publicising leech like our Karren. And he genuinely loves the game.

In the world of these type of quangos, unfortunately any ‘real’ fans on there would most likely just be there as tokenism so the decision-makers can say ‘look - we’ve listened.’

I at least would trust him to put the case both ‘officially’ but - in the world of realpolitik- more importantly, behind closed doors when the actual horse trading takes place.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Well done WHUISA. Its a marathon, not a sprint. Some expect too much too soon. Yes its frustrating, but its all a step forward in the scheme of things.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Doc H Ball wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:41 pm There's a lot riding on this for the FSA.

They have been actively trying to work with PL boards to establish dialogue and recognised Trusts. At HU we were asked if we were just a protest group or more than that?

If there is no tangible progress with the ISC here or this review, then fans should abandon all dialogue. Direct action has proven itself far more effective in the last couple of months.

It's a ridiculous panel. I respect a number of them but not as fans' representatives.
:newthumb: