Farewell fellow Kumbers

A Forum in which to remember those KUMB members and other West Ham United family who have sadly left us.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammerleroy

Farewell fellow Kumbers

Post by hammerleroy »

Hi moderators if this subject is taboo please ignore.

I'm 75 years old and have been visiting East London and the Boleyn from Luton for the last fifty years. So many highlights but unfortunately I've run out of time.

I was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer in May 2018 and up until January this year the treatment was working. Chemo, hormone injections, various medication. Then in January I was told that the cancer had found a way around the treatment as they always said it would and that I would now go downhill very quickly.

We're all shocked at how quickly it has done so. No appetite and the inevitable weight loss. No way to diet i can tell you. May 2016 found me at the Boleyn for the last time and I never intended to visit our present "home". This season was a breath of fresh air and my wife let me kip all Sunday before waking me up at 6pm with the good news. So I think the Hammers have done me proud, Europe and all that.

To any cancer sufferers out there fight it if you can but if like me, it's terminal then try to put on a brave face. My son Bobby, named after the great man, will carry the flag. Bob also carries the "Leroy" christian name and my new grandson due in August will carry it on. Joshua Leroy. I originally got the name from my US airman father in WW2. I just want to see Joshua's birth and I will be happy with that.

Plenty of sleep is the order of the day now. "I just want to see the Hammers win the Premier league before I go", said I. Bob said "your grandkids children won't see that I'm afraid". And of course he's right. I've loved this site, the first thing I turn on every morning. Farewell fellow kumbers and enjoy your European tour. Palermo with Bob was our last trip. :crest:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Farewell fellow Kumbers

Post by S-H »

So sorry to hear that, Leroy.

My thoughts are with you, mate.

:crest:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Thank you for posting. That certainly puts life and any perceived troubles into perspective.

I wish you peace and happiness for the time that you have left. There will always be a place and memory here for all posters past, present and future.

CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

I hope you get the sleep you need and that you get to meet Joshua.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Remember chatting with you about it back in 2019 I think it was - that's just terrible , mate , I'm so sorry to hear your news .

FWIW - you're one of the better more reasoned posters that ever graced these pages .

Thank for finding the courage to post .

Farewell , sir . :thup: :crest:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Make the most of the rest of it Leroy. I'll be thinking about you buddy.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm shocked to read that mate.That was very courageous of you. Take care, you're one of the good guys. God bless ya
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

So sad to hear that mate.

You sound like you have a great family group around you to help and support you.

Try to make sure you have the best times you can when you are with them and remember, their memories of you will forever be in their hearts.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

So sorry to read that, mate! I lost my brother just 8 weeks ago, he fought cancer in the oesophagus for five years, he died two months before his 54th birthday.

Just like in your case he was going through all the various treatments and the oncologists were hopeful he was finally on the road to beat the tumour. Until it suddenly, unexpectedly went downhill quickly after his most recent therapy which must have triggered the cancer to spread rapidly into his brain...he didn't have long after that.

Therefore I know what cancer patients and their loved ones are going through. Wishing you and your family and friends all the best, strength and peace... :crest:
Estuary
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Thank you for sharing the terrible news, your courage shines through every word. Vaya con dios mi amigo. :crest:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

At least West Ham gave you years upon years of glory and trophies to celebrate mate!

Rest well. :thup:
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Sending love to you and your family Leroy, so much strength, courage and dignity in your words, so much admiration for you.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Leroy, one day we are all going to face the predicament you find yourself in and I hope we can all be as brave as you obviously are. I’m a carer for my dad who has wheelchair accessible seat at the Bowl and a parking space, if you are feeling up to it come the start of the season I would be really honoured (if you feel fit enough) to take up this offer to use my dads ticket and my carer ticket to get along to a game. There’s no cost, so just PM with yours and Bobby’s details and we can put the wheels in motion. All the best, Geoff :crest:
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

So sorry to hear your sad news Leroy.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

My mum is going through the same even though she is only 59. It sounds like you are a strong character much like her. I wish you well. Hopefully you will get to see some West Ham on some glorious European nights. Peace.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I really hope you get to see Joshua born Leroy!

Such a beautiful post, thank you for sharing... I hope you enjoy whatever time you have left.

From Lee (not westlondonhammer)

One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Love and prayers to you Leroy. Brave post and you are clearly a man of some character.

God bless you mate.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Such bravery to post. I applaud you. I lost my mum to Cancer last April (two days after her 67th Birthday) and this post brings back many memories. It is such a traumatic time for all involved and your candidness and bravery do you proud, As I am sure you son and your grandchild will.

Try to make the most of what time you have - (sounds such an awful thing to say knowing what you are going through) my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Much love fellow Hammer !
Sawbo
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Sawbo »

I may have bumped into you at one of the away games but can't place you. Your posts were always entertaining & worth reading.
Much love and keep fighting :crest:
Last edited by Sawbo on Wed May 26, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

God bless you fellow Hammer. :crest: