Euro 2020 - Who Wins?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Re: Euro 2020 - Who Wins?

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm surprised there have been no posts about how easily a fairly poor Romanian team opened us up. They could and would with a bit more quality up front, scored 3 this aftetmoon. That was an excellent point blank save from Johnstone, but had that been a Mbappe or an Insigne on the end of that, that would've been in the back of the net
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:43 pm I'm surprised there have been no posts about how easily a fairly poor Romanian team opened us up. They could and would with a bit more quality up front, scored 3 this aftetmoon. That was an excellent point blank save from Johnstone, but had that been a Mbappe or an Insigne on the end of that, that would've been in the back of the net
Yep, the CB pairing (or possibly 3 CB’s in a 3-5-2) worries me no matter who gets picked. I think Rice starts as the holding midfielder but not sure who should be his CM partner. I’d probably play Ward-Prowse in CM if he gets the nod into the squad. Foden, Mount, Grealish, Kane the attacking options. Trippier and Chilwell the full backs, Pickford in goal - but only just.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

It’s possible that no one in that defence starts next week, so I guess there’s limited relevance to how much England got opened up. Definitely a concern about who we turn to without Maguire though.

To be honest I’m not sure there’s been any point to these friendlies at all, and Southgate himself has just been getting them out the way and even playing players who aren’t in the squad.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

SullySpecial wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:09 pm Blimey. Jose Fonte is still playing for Portugal.
He's just captained Lille to the Ligue 1 title too, aged 37.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

It's coming home :D
DasNutNock2
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

sendô wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:27 pm He's just captained Lille to the Ligue 1 title too, aged 37.
They won it last time with Ricardo Carvalho, then aged 38, playing in the final.
DasNutNock2
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:51 pm They won it last time with Ricardo Carvalho, then aged 38, playing in the final.
Actually he was on the bench for the final but played their 3 openers, which is still pretty incredible.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:18 pm Yes you are wrong mate. It’s a great mix this Italy team, one of the best in years. Of course the defence are a bit older (the CB’s anyway), but experienced CB’s in an Italy side won’t be a problem. Got some quality and hard work in midfield with the likes of Verratti, Jorginho and Cristante. Some younger talented players in Barella, Berardi and Chiesa and some very good forward options in Immobile, Insigne and Belotti. Players like Locatelli, Pessina and Raspadori are good young squad options who come off of very good seasons.

Also 29 games unbeaten or something like that.
Cool, interesting to know. Ones to watch out for then. :thup: I'd honestly presumed Italy were still largely in a transitional phase and lost some ground over the last 10 years or so. Part of my reasoning was the fact they/you were so desperate for strikers not so long ago that Zaza made the squad. :wink: Interesting to hear they're/you're back on the up again.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:58 pm you were so desperate for strikers not so long ago that Zaza made the squad. :wink:
I was at the game in Bordeaux where he took that penalty and ended up knocked out by Germany...Don't have the same problems now with Immobile and Belotti.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I think england will be lucky to get out of the group and if they do, they will face germany next round and get knocked out
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The furthest England have ever got in an UEFA Euro competition are the Semi Finals -

Just like Wales . 8-)

Wales to go one better this year . :scarfer:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:38 pm The furthest England have ever got in an UEFA Euro competition are the Semi Finals -

Just like Wales . 8-)

Wales to go one better this year . :scarfer:
Yeah. Our record in this is not great, despite previously hosting it and being joint pre tournament favourites with Germany in 1996 and a 1-0 defeat in the quarters by the former Yugoslavia, as World Cup holders in 1968. We we also, hot favourites alongside Italy to lift the trophy in 1980, but crashed out early doors then too
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I think we (England) will come second in our group, beat the runner up from group E in the next round, then lose to the winners of group F (probably France) in the quarters.

France V Belgium in the final, France to win.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

France, Portugal or Germany to win it.

Belgium, Czech Republic to have decent campaigns.

England: quarter finalists at best, semi finalists if we’re punching.
South African Iron
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by South African Iron »

I'm learning towards Italy , to snatch it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think that if you replicated even a Maguire-Stones CB pairing, ahead of Pickford, and put them in your Prem team, they'd finish in the top half, but probably not in the top 4. Pickford is poorer than our league keeper, Fabianski, by quite a noticeable margin. Maguire is strong, but slow and unrefined. Stones has some definite skill in his boots, but not really got a defender's method of playing the game.

Whatever, we only progress if we outscore any opponent, even Scotland.

Watching the group bit through C&B specs is interesting. Not only must Dec go up against his staunch midfield club partner (and keep his eye out for Coufal) in Soucek, but he's also auditioning for his next move by having a proper, meaningful, match up against McTominay, someone I personally consider to be just a bit under-rated, in head to head comparisons. Don't know enough about Croatia this time around to make brash predictions, but, on the assumption we make it out of the group (not a given), it's almost West Ham United and the luck of a cup draw that awaits us.

France, even just the axis Pogba, Kante and Mbappe, on their games, win out over any of the others. But, on our day, as a team, England might just pull off a surprise.

:|
r99c
Has liked: 708 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

kitthehammer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:41 pm I think england will be lucky to get out of the group and if they do, they will face Portugal next round and get knocked out
FYP :)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Artificial Intelligence says Czechs to win, England semi finalists.
The Czech Republic footie team is set to be crowned champions next month, beating fellow underdogs Denmark 3-2 in the Euros in what pundits claim will prove to be a "thrilling final".

At least that's what boffins at sports data provider Sportradar reckon after scraping together results from the last 20 years, feeding them into a "super computer" running a simulated-reality program driven by AI, and then, hey presto, coming up with the finding ahead of this week's start to the month-long footballfest.

According to dressing room insiders, the whole tournament was "played out" using an "innovative simulated reality solution using artificial intelligence algorithms." So it must be true.

more...

Being from The Register, as ever the comments are worth reading.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

This new WhoScored guide is a peach to browse through

Scotland have never lost to Croatia
(5 matches)

Croatia have never lost to Soucek and co
(3 matches)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

steps wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:05 am France, Portugal or Germany to win it.

Belgium, Czech Republic to have decent campaigns.

England: quarter finalists at best, semi finalists if we’re punching.
Oddly, this time, I think Portugal might actually be hindered by Cristiano Ronaldo this time around. Two years past his best, he hasn't the legs to get around the pitch any more. He's still a good player, of course he is and his goals scoring record, is sensataional, but he won't be able to influence matches, like he has other tournaments of the past. Sure, if Portugal need a goal, he may still be their man, but I think in this competition, we will see a very different Cristiano Ronaldo hanging around the goal area and leaving all the rest of the work to his team mates and that is what do mean by hindering his team's chances. We'll see, but all that aside, they still have some serious talent in that team all the same