Home Nations Support

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Home Nations Support

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:08 pm Congratulations Wales on getting out of the group stage

Population 3 million, small football playing population, no full time professional league, the few professional clubs play in the neighbours league....factor all that in and it's an incredible achievement.

For any small nation to qualify for a tournament is incredibly good, to then get out of the group is exceptional. From this fan of an even smaller nation I know what it means to the fans and I hope you're all thoroughly enjoying the glory tonight.

Very kind of you to say so , Juncs - :thup:

Out of those 3 million , and let's face it , a lot of them are women and children :grin: , so , say 1m [ and 500,000 of those are English migrants ] , Wales have managed to win the 6 Nations Rugby and qualify for the last 16 in the 2020 Euros - that's some achievement for a small country -

If those Welsh players hadn't celebrated England's defeat to Iceland so enthusiastically they might be getting some more support on here . :grin:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:33 am
Out of those 3 million , and let's face it , a lot of them are women and children :grin: , so , say 1m [ and 500,000 of those are English migrants ] , Wales have managed to win the 6 Nations Rugby and qualify for the last 16 in the 2020 Euros - that's some achievement for a small country -
To be fair, the Welsh might be the most sports-mad nation on earth when it comes to actually playing sports rather than watching them.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

TOMOS will be glad to know that the Beeb has 7 articles about the Wales match for him to read tonight :grin:
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Scotland and Wales fans will be cheering on whoever England's opposition are. It's how it is and how it's always been. They hate us.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

wormley wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:08 am Scotland and Wales fans will be cheering on whoever England's opposition are. It's how it is and how it's always been. They hate us.
Wales supporting Germany? That's a given.. :winker:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Samba wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:43 am Wales supporting Germany? That's a given.. :winker:
U-Boater believe it !
They’ll be dusting off the old flags in Cwmtydu bay as we speak.
The Old Man of Storr

Rays Rock wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:33 am U-Boater believe it !

'' Old soldiers never die they say , now I don't want to pass away
I kick the bucket every day when I'm cleaning U-Boats ..''

I'll have that old George Formby classic on a loop tomorrow .
Samba

Post by Samba »

I just hope it turns out nice again..
The Old Man of Storr

Samba wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:24 am I just hope it turns out nice again..
:grin: Despite all my little ' jokes ' about UEFA favouring England during this year's Euros I really would prefer to see England win than some other ' foreign ' team - good luck this afternoon , Samba and I hope it turns out nice for you and the rest of my English Kumber mates for the rest of the competition . :newthumb:
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:26 am :grin: Despite all my little ' jokes ' about UEFA favouring England during this year's Euros I really would prefer to see England win than some other ' foreign ' team - good luck this afternoon , Samba and I hope it turns out nice for you and the rest of my English Kumber mates for the rest of the competition . :newthumb:
Thank you, TOMoS!
We need all the luck we can get..
ClydeIron
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ClydeIron »

I always want to see the home nations do well. Obviously if Scotland’s playing England, Wales, or Norn Iron then I hope they win, but I’d rather see a team from these shores succeed.
The Old Man of Storr

Samba wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:42 pm Thank you, TOMoS!
We need all the luck we can get..

You've been given Home Advantage , you've been given 43,000 fans to cheer you on and now you want luck as well ????????? :grin:

I missed the first 33 minutes [ gardening ] and the whole of the second half [ dinner ] .

Will watch it later .

Good Luck . :blowkiss:
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

My old boss was Welsh Wales and changed his stance over the years. Initially he'd support anyone who was playing the English but over the years he softened a fair bit, now he wishes us well in everything other than in the rugby, in return I'll cheer for Wales in football. the jocks can go and do one though.
During one of the recentish tournaments my old jock RSM bought an England shirt for his girlfriend, hoping to show a bit of the old entente cordiale made a big thing of buying one before tucking it away behind the bar, by the end of night someone had nicked it........ :crylol:
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 pm You've been given Home Advantage , you've been given 43,000 fans to cheer you on and now you want luck as well ????????? :grin:

I missed the first 33 minutes [ gardening ] and the whole of the second half [ dinner ] .

Will watch it later .

Good Luck . :blowkiss:
sad to say there are no stories about Wales on the bbc football pages for you to read tonight :rofl:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Maybe avoid the BBC today TOMoS, love.

The Old Man of Storr

If I hear ' Football's Coming Home ' one more time I'm putting my foot through my beloved Sony .

Biggest laugh of the morning - Sally Nugent's microphone failing and her Raheem Sterling cardboard cut-out falling over - had it been Kane I'd have understood .

We've seen garden bars from every corner of England , heard from every living ex-England player , the BBC reporter even went to Berlin to report on what their papers were saying and hoping to get a word from Angela Merkel .

If England win the Euros at least I can be happy in the knowledge that I haven't got another 55 years in me .
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:26 am If I hear ' Football's Coming Home ' one more time I'm putting my foot through my beloved Sony .

Biggest laugh of the morning - Sally Nugent's microphone failing and her Raheem Sterling cardboard cut-out falling over - had it been Kane I'd have understood .

We've seen garden bars from every corner of England , heard from every living ex-England player , the BBC reporter even went to Berlin to report on what their papers were saying and hoping to get a word from Angela Merkel .

If England win the Euros at least I can be happy in the knowledge that I haven't got another 55 years in me .
:D :D
Leave your lovely telly alone TOMoS, it's not worth it mate..
Look, if we do win it, I'm sure that we'll never mention it again.. :twisted:
Did you end up watch any of it, after all?
The Old Man of Storr

Samba wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:33 pm
Leave your lovely telly alone TOMoS, it's not worth it mate..
Look, if we do win it, I'm sure that we'll never mention it again..
Did you end up watch any of it, after all?

I meant to , honest but we're running out of hard-drive space on the Sky Q and I needed room for Holby City so I ended up deleting it , sorry . :grin:

Still got my ' Wales' Road To Euro 2016 to watch though . :scarfer:
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:44 pm I meant to , honest but we're running out of hard-drive space on the Sky Q and I needed room for Holby City so I ended up deleting it , sorry . :grin:
Yeah, yeah, yeah... :winker:

Still got my ' Wales' Road To Euro 2016 to watch though .
Don't know if you've heard yet but it is coming home.. :scarfer:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:26 am If I hear ' Football's Coming Home ' one more time I'm putting my foot through my beloved Sony .

Am with you Tomos on this, can't stand the bloody song myself. It also came from a time when middle class comedians found it fashionable to be football fans and in fact decided that they were THE football fans and the voices of the people.
They can f"ck right off as far as I'm concerned.