Home Nations Support

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: Home Nations Support

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Success breeds contempt, no difference to many despising the top 5 and one other in the PL, haters gonna hate, enjoy the fact our success currently is really getting up peoples noses, which I really like :D

When travelling abroad I've always felt very welcome (in the vast majority of places) I've been to.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:00 am Lots of people like to see us beaten because they hate England and English people, not because of how our national football team, but because they’re taught to from a young age.
:grin:

Paranoia is Paranoia in both English and Welsh I discovered this morning .

Serious question here -

Were you taught to be a racist at a young age ?

No ?

Yet many English people are racist .

Fitba's Cummin' Hame . :ball:
The Old Man of Storr

Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:20 am Success breeds contempt,

So why would anyone hate England then ? :grin:

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:59 am :grin:

Paranoia is Paranoia in both English and Welsh I discovered this morning .

Serious question here -

Were you taught to be a racist at a young age ?

No ?

So why do you think so many people express hateful views to others?

No, I wasn’t taught to be a bigot growing up, and was utterly unaware of the extent of inculcated prejudice I would witness as an adult.

Or are you seriously implying that the antipathy towards England currently being expressed is purely due to a debatable penalty?

Edit - for the record, I didn’t mean kids were being taught bigotry lessons at school or anything. They hear adults and older kids repeating the negative sentiments and absorb it indirectly.
Last edited by DasNutNock2 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:08 am So why would anyone hate England then ? :grin:

I would say the vast majority of racists aren’t directly taught to be racist. But they’re subject to it by the surroundings and therefore become racist.

Just like a Scottish child will be subject to English hatred all around them and therefore hate England just the same, without really knowing why.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

I remember 1978 when Scotland were off to Argentina for the world cup and England didnt qualify

Back then the vast majority of English people wanted Scotland to do well

How things have changed. Purely based on the bile that comes our way and which has somehow become acceptable, I always want them to get beaten.

The paradox being i haven't met anyone from Scotland i didn't like.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I think the turning point for me having any real interest in England doing well was the 00's, they became a really unlikeable bunch with a succession of unimaginative managers. As a Welshman I've experienced a lot of "banter" and I often give as good as I get once an Englishman makes the first move but for me it's not any real contempt for England, I just haven't liked the teams which has been the same for me with a number of various international sides from all over the World down the years. Nobody is obliged to like anyone, I watched the Wales v Denmark game in the pub with my sister, her fella, my girlfriend and some mates. When Denmark scored the third and fourth a bloke got up and gave it large and two of his friends told him to sit down and be quiet, totally unprovoked, he just saw me in a Wales shirt and wanted to kick off announcing that he "didn't care" and "he'd do any sheep shagger". I followed him to the toilet and urinated next to him, I can confirm that no sexual activity took place and he certainly didn't ask me to be a dancing partner. You'll get that anywhere in the World but this "we want everyone to do well thing, it's only the Welsh and Scottish that are like this" is a load of rubbish, we're all as bad as each other but let's not pretend that English arrogance isn't a thing.

Good luck for Sunday but I have enjoyed watching the Italians when they're not rolling around on the floor, they've played the best football of the tournament coupled with defending very well, I want them to win.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Jumby wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:56 am I followed him to the toilet and urinated next to him,
Did he have a sheepskin jacket on?
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Then you fell into a trap we’ve all experienced at some point or another where you’ve allowed your opinion to be changed by the behaviour of a minority. It’s easy to do; understandable, even, but doesn’t make it right.

When I first started university at Wales, I was completely unaware of how frequently I would witness anti-English rhetoric, possibly not helped by the recent release of historical documentary, Braveheart, at cinemas that month. I also got physically attacked by a bunch of rugby supporters in a pub one international day, which left me with a severe distaste for “all” welsh rugby fans - which was stupid on my part, as I now realise.

The danger of allowing the behaviour of some to dictate your feelings towards all is plain for anyone to see. Tarring everyone with the same brush does no one any favours. Anthem booing England fans don’t represent me any more than Boris Johnson, Tony Blair, Timmy Mallet or Peter Sutcliffe. I represent myself, and nobody should be judged by the actions of others.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

S-H wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:02 am Did he have a sheepskin jacket on?
No but his bleached perm was enough for me
S-H

Post by S-H »

:D
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

S-H wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:02 am Did he have a sheepskin jacket on?
well played :lol:

TOMOS :D two semi finals and now a final is huge success for us...I won't use the nations league thingy..
The Old Man of Storr

DasNutNock2 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 am So why do you think so many people express hateful views to others?

No, I wasn’t taught to be a bigot growing up, and was utterly unaware of the extent of inculculated prejudice I would witness as an adult.

Or are you seriously implying that the antipathy towards England currently being expressed is purely due to a debatable penalty?

I think it's for a variety of reasons , Dan .

Politics mostly - perceived inequality between Nations but as far as the football thing goes I would say it's all down to envy mostly , that and the English media .

It was never an issue in our family growing up despite both parents being Welsh - my Dad had served in the Eighth Army during the war and would have mixed with loads of English boys , we had English neighbours who parked their cars in our hangar of a garage , Dad and I sat down together to support England in '66 - so , there was no anti-England or anti-English feeling in our household , non whatsoever , we weren't that typer of people .

Our Daughter who has lived In Scotland since she was two was born in Barnet General , considers herself English and will be supporting England on Sunday .

What I find interesting is our son who was born in Inverness and is an out and out Communist says he's anti-England because of your Tory Government - he gets none of that from us - he loves his English Mum and has loads of English mates and despite my ' Banter ' on here I am the exact opposite at home and I honestly try to persuade him not to be so anti-England [ football team ] - in real life and away from football he's one of the nicest kids you could ever wish to meet .

This silliness isn't all one way though is it ?

I've seen plenty of anti-Welsh and anti-Scots diatribe on here so if it's here it must go on elsewhere .
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:07 am Then you fell into a trap we’ve all experienced at some point or another where you’ve allowed your opinion to be changed by the behaviour of a minority. It’s easy to do; understandable, even, but doesn’t make it right.

When I first started university at Wales, I was completely unaware of how frequently I would witness anti-English rhetoric, possibly not helped by the recent release of historical documentary, Braveheart, at cinemas that month. I also got physically attacked by a bunch of rugby supporters in a pub one international day, which left me with a severe distaste for “all” welsh rugby fans - which was stupid on my part, as I now realise.

The danger of allowing the behaviour of some to dictate your feelings towards all is plain for anyone to see. Tarring everyone with the same brush does no one any favours. Anthem booing England fans don’t represent me any more than Boris Johnson, Tony Blair, Timmy Mallet or Peter Sutcliffe. I represent myself, and nobody should be judged by the actions of others.
I can't tell if this is directed at me or not but the actions of others have no bearing on who I want to win in a football match, that guy in the pub didn't make me want England to lose, it just made me want to test his claims because I was very confident that unless this out of shape loudmouth was a martial arts expert he was going to be apologising to everyone I was sitting with should he have tried anything. I live in England, a lot of my family are English, most of my friends are English, I love this country despite how badly it has been run and how much it has let a lot of us down, I just don't really like the sports sides. I think this current England team is absolutely full of talent and when the subs are made and the team is often improved that becomes very apparent.
The Old Man of Storr

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:19 am

Just like a Scottish child will be subject to English hatred all around them and therefore hate England just the same, without really knowing why.

Jen and I were just talking about that - our Daughter [ born in England but who has lived in Scotland since she was two ] was bullied at school by this lad for her English accent - the biggest irony being his Mum was English [ broad Lancashire ] but his Dad was racist Scottish .
Sad really .
The Old Man of Storr

Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:17 am well played :lol:

TOMOS :D two semi finals and now a final is huge success for us...I won't use the nations league thingy..

It's TWO FINALS , silly - even I remember '66 .

Three Lines On Me Shirt ... :ball:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:59 am

So supporting England when they do well in a major tournament is racist now?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I saw Rob Green spill that shot into his goal against the US in an Aviemore Tartan Army boozer that was rammed. Had an old West Ham top on.

Apart from me the whole bar erupted in laughter and joy. I got the piss taken out of me.

One of the best nights of my life. If you get all serious and sore then expect to get it back in shovels.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:41 am If you get all serious and sore then expect to get it back in shovels.
:thup: :thup:

Sums it up perfectly
S-H

Post by S-H »

Same as anything though isn't it, if someone takes the piss out of you and you bite, that's it they're on to you, that's always been the same, be it on a building site, on a night out with mates, at the football, same applies here, I think.

Take the piss out of yourself, take the piss out of them, but as soon you get serious you will have a target on your back.