Home Nations Support

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Graza

Home Nations Support

Post by Graza »

Not that I particularly want to give the puppet oxygen but Jordan makes an interesting point.

The puppet being the soulless marionette he is stirring the pot but the underlying question is interesting.

Do you give toss about the home nations or are you just an England/Scotland/Wales/Irish/Northern Ireland fan who doesn't care what happens to the others? Or are you actively invested in their demise?

Personally I've struggled with England since the South Africa tournament of golf and worrying where their Mrs' were, a team with all the talent in the world shuffling about with less passion than hung over pub teams. It did me in. I only really watch England now to see Rice play and also because it means football is on which is always a good thing (though we've been oversaturated in the last year IMO). I don't expect we'll win the whole thing, I think we'll just get out of the group and fold as soon as we hit a proper too team (as we did in the World cup where Belgium beat us at a canter twice in dead rubber matches and Croatia knocked us out having played a lot of nothing around those games).

So the rest. Well as a quarter Scot I have a soft spot for them and given their time in the tournament wilderness it is good to see them back, I'd like them to not get embarrassed, getting out of the group would be an enormous if unlikely achievement. It should be noted though that without the expansion of the tournament they probably wouldn't have a spot on merit.

Wales, after that shameful 2016 celebration of us going out I hope they lose every game but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I have no feeling towards the Irish teams, no family connections, no players from our team (though if Rice had stuck with the ROI I'd want him to do well) in fact I had to look up of they were even in the tournament (neither are).

I'd like our Cech boys to do well too but like the Scot's if they do so it could come at the expense of England so that's not ideal...

Anyway, there's a Friday question, will you be cheering on all the home nations (except Scotland against England if you are England and vice versa) or do you not give a ****?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: Home Nations Support

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Always had a soft spot for both the Irish teams, family connection for ROI and go to Belfast a lot (or use to pre Covid) and love the people there.

The Wales celebration did grate, plus use to go N Wales a lot on business and did get grief for being English, accent etc.

Saying that, I always hope they all do well, I wouldn't say support them, but have no problems in them progressing.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I hope Scotland and Wales get absolutely battered and have a dreadful tournament more than any of the other countries. I guarantee most Welsh/Scots feel the exactly the same about the English.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I'm half-Scots and half-Welsh so I'll cheer them on .... except when they play England.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:30 pm I hope Scotland and Wales get absolutely battered and have a dreadful tournament more than any of the other countries. I guarantee most Welsh/Scots feel the exactly the same about the English.
It's an odd one really. I imagine when we are the only team there some of them might get a bit invested in how England do, whilst hoping we don't win it all. But with their own teams there they probably want us to fail...

Some of course probably always want us to fail...
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Please Lord God Jesus Christ forgive me for the ridiculous amount of hatred I have for the sanctimonious c*** that is Jim White ! Amen...
Eastleigh Hammer

Post by Eastleigh Hammer »

I will be supporting all the home nations who are at the Euros, except when they play England of course. I was actually really happy when the Welsh beat Belgium a few years ago.

I've never subscribed to this whole rivalry thing tbh. I'm sure people have their reasons for disliking the other home nations but I couldn't give one and would be happy to see them do well.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Clucking Bell wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 pm I'm half-Scots and half-Welsh so I'll cheer them on .... except when they play England.
But that means none of you is English :o
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:30 pm I hope Scotland and Wales get absolutely battered and have a dreadful tournament more than any of the other countries. I guarantee most Welsh/Scots feel the exactly the same about the English.
Yep. Personally speaking we're all in competition here so I only want Scotland to do well. Family ties all around the UK but you know who you are and who you want to win. I don't really get what White is up to on that clip because he just looks a fud.

On a side note to explain some of the rancour that is directed from the home nations v England is that 90% of the media is designed for English people. Whether its ignorance or by design much of the hype machine that follows England 24/7 isn't filtered out so when you're presented with what is Great Britain media banging on about England it's not difficult to see how everyone reacts.

I've quite liked some English players and even rated highly some teams in the past but as you said we're competing nations at these tournaments so I don't see the point of having the love in all the time.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

I cheer on the Paddys as well as the English but couldn't tell you who most of the team are (actually that might also be true of England these days).

Don't really have any feelings either way towards the Welsh & Scottish teams although banter with my mates adds an extra spice.

As long as we beat Chelsea, that's all that matters.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Eastleigh Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm I will be supporting all the home nations who are at the Euros, except when they play England of course. I was actually really happy when the Welsh beat Belgium a few years ago.

I've never subscribed to this whole rivalry thing tbh. I'm sure people have their reasons for disliking the other home nations but I couldn't give one and would be happy to see them do well.
Yeah, that's pretty much me.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

I will be rooting against England, and cheering on Scotland.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Thekorean wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:19 pm I will be rooting against England, and cheering on Scotland.
Sod off then.. :D
Support your cousins teammate.. :wink:
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

I would like both Scotland and Wales to lose all of their matches and finish bottom of their groups.
Most Scots/Welsh feel exactly the same about England. The only time I would feel differently is if there were West Ham players in their squads.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Samba wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 pm Sod off then.. :D
Support your cousins teammate.. :wink:
He's why I am rooting against England. f*** Harry Kane.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I understand why the home nations hate us. Years of having to hear English news and sport first.

Good luck to them unless they are playing England.

I can still remember Archie Gemmel in 1978. He looked about 50 back then.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Jim White really is an utter utter helmet isn’t he?

Feigning shock at anything as if he’s just been called a nonce

Why would anyone English want Wales or Scotland to do well, and vice versa?
Samba

Post by Samba »

Thekorean wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:27 pm He's why I am rooting against England. **** Harry Kane.
:D
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Since yesterday I have become obsessed with Gareth Bales bald bits - I had know idea his ridiculous top bun was to hide his bald head. What a massive ****. Modern day sweep over.