Commentators and pundits

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: Commentators and pundits

Post by Ironing Board »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:22 pm He was along with John Collins. Moyes looked like he rocked up from the set of Miami Vice with his black t-shirt and grey jacket.
Moyes looked very chilled to be fair. Was complimentary of Gilmour.
Collins is a pretty good coach.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

I honestly detest Jenas as a pundit.

Like Kevin the teenager given a job.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

e17 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:18 pm I honestly detest Jenas as a pundit.

Like Kevin the teenager given a job.
Not just me then, he is dreadful
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I have a policy of not watching ITV, but Souness has been talking for half an hour now and I'm ready for war.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Souness is an awful, awful man. I can’t believe he still gets so much airtime.

Smug skank sitting there with a chubby on talking about Gilmour and saying things like ‘the winger from Villa’ rather than calling Grealish by his name.

Absolute dinosaur.

F*ck me I can’t stand that bloke.

I’m with Doc, let’s do ‘em!
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

Dies anyone come close to Peter Jones?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Believe me, nobody comes remotely close to an absolute fucktard called Gerry Harrison. How he ever got a job as a football commentator, I'll never know. There must be somebody on here who will remember him. Commentating on the opening match of the 1986 World Cup between Mexico and Bulgaria, with co commentator, Ron Atkinson, the ball went out of play, down near the Mexican corner flag.Then, there was a load of jostling between players of both sides around the goal mouth, the ref blew up to try to sort it all out, but a couple of Bulgarian players got a bit heated and one of them hit out. The ref had his back to it and the Bulgarian player took the thrown in. A couple of Mexican players tried telling the ref what had happened, but he ignored them. The throw in came to nothing and then the Mexican GK went running over to the ref and the ref booked him and then all hell let lose and cue Harrison. Err What happened there Ron ? That was his job to tell the viewers. Pathetic
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

I thought the commentary for Scotland game was worst I had heard in years.

Also Roy Keane is getting on me tits
guineapig
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by guineapig »

I don't know why these commentators feel the need to fill every minute with drivel. It's not like it's a radio broadcast where we can't see anything. And when did it become the fashion to have 2 at every match anyway. Did Barry Davies or John Motson always have a wingman?
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by D C »

Danny Murphy is so bad, wrong about almost everything and dour as f***.

The complete lack of knowledge about any player that doesn’t play in the Premier League is as bad as ever as well. No difference in quality between BBC and ITV for me
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:17 pm Believe me, nobody comes remotely close to an absolute fucktard called Gerry Harrison. How he ever got a job as a football commentator, I'll never know. There must be somebody on here who will remember him. Commentating on the opening match of the 1986 World Cup between Mexico and Bulgaria, with co commentator, Ron Atkinson, the ball went out of play, down near the Mexican corner flag.Then, there was a load of jostling between players of both sides around the goal mouth, the ref blew up to try to sort it all out, but a couple of Bulgarian players got a bit heated and one of them hit out. The ref had his back to it and the Bulgarian player took the thrown in. A couple of Mexican players tried telling the ref what had happened, but he ignored them. The throw in came to nothing and then the Mexican GK went running over to the ref and the ref booked him and then all hell let lose and cue Harrison. Err What happened there Ron ? That was his job to tell the viewers. Pathetic
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Harrison

Sounds like he had a great career though. Enthusiasm will get you everywhere.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 pm Would take him on a loan. Did very well tonight, despite his inexperience.
He would be a coup if we could sign him permanently.
GentlemanJim
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by GentlemanJim »

Where is Jimmy Hill when you need him?!
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

I think Ally McCoist is great, funny, energetic
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

D C wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:23 pm The complete lack of knowledge about any player that doesn’t play in the Premier League is as bad as ever as well. No difference in quality between BBC and ITV for me
This is what gets me. There is no need to mention that a substitute right back once went spent a week in Grimsby etc. It's disrespectful to the game going on that doesn't involve England and to be honest I think English fans would rather hear about Rapid Vienna or Steau etc. There is large continent full of great football and stories which don't require England to be mentioned.

Commentary / punditry would be better if they trained for their jobs. Learn about the players and their tactics etc. Be professional.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

So judging by this thread, we seem to hate absolutely everyone except Ally McMoist?
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

I think Mccoist adds fun aswell as knowledge to his punditry. He's a character who talks like a fan.
And I know he has a bit of soft spot for West Ham
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I thought John Hartson was a bit banal today. Didn't really say anything of any great note, but I suppose an upgrade on that idiot Savage
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:24 pm So judging by this thread, we seem to hate absolutely everyone except Ally McMoist?
Ally McCoist doesn't seem to have a cynical tone about the game. Some of the pundits act like some games are unbearable. He will find the humour in it which I really applaud.

I think Richards also is like that. He'd be murder on comms but I like his ability to find fun in the punditry. Should maybe do more research like others but overall good.

Saying that. I would prefer more input from other national pundits etc rather than just rely on people who haven't watched any games in Austria or North Macedonia to discuss these guys.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:50 pm I thought John Hartson was a bit banal today. Didn't really say anything of any great note, but I suppose an upgrade on that idiot Savage
Came to say the same thing. Very dull.

Another vote for McCoist. I also thought Jim Beglin was half decent, but he seems to have disappeared.