The problem with England...

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Re: The problem with England...

Post by Diogenes »

I think one of the problems we have is that our national team is often 'over coached' with side selection and our playing style is based more upon negating what the opposition may do rather than exploiting the talents we have available.
Personally, I would be more than happy if Southgate just picked the youngest side (in each position) and gave them the ball and said 'go and enjoy it lads'.
Graza

Post by Graza »

WebmasterFF wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 am There are a number of issues with England
:newthumb:

All true. Coaching is so, so important. Funnily enough the point about medals for participation doesn't jive with the coaching argument. If kids are coached and rewarded for developing their skills and playing the right way win lose or draw they'll grow into better players. If the long ball up to the big lad who scores works from the ages of 5 - 15 and they are rewarded for it, that's what people will do.

I'd also throw in we all remember a kid who always got in the team despite there being better alternatives because their dad was one of the coaches...
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

S-H wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 amSouthgate.
Love it. Sir Gareth.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm It was in 2019 against Kosovo. We also did it against Montenegro in 2019. Croatia in 2018. Slovakia in 2017. Wales 2016. Germany 2016.

So yeah. As expected, your theory is nonsense.
Yeh but no but yeh but etc etc etc
The other problem with Puffs nuttty theory is you can only come from behind to win a game if you actually go behind in the first place.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

.... .is we concede too many goals :)
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:18 pm .... .is we concede too many goals :)
I tell you what, I genuinely cannot believe we haven’t conceded in 4 tournament matches. So utterly at odds with any memory of watching England.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Problem? What problem?.. :D
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:49 am ...is that everyone massively over-reacts depending on their last result.
Bumping this.

Just as I was saying to the doommongers that we still had an excellent chance to go far despite functional group game performances, it’s vital the team keep their feet on the ground after this result.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:43 pm I tell you what, I genuinely cannot believe we haven’t conceded in 4 tournament matches. So utterly at odds with any memory of watching England.
It's almost like German efficiency paradoxically
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Is that England fans moan about a successful manager and team without the slightest of football knowledge. I’m glad Southgate has proved his detractors wrong 👍🏽
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:19 am Is that England fans moan about a successful manager and team without the slightest of football knowledge. I’m glad Southgate has proved his detractors wrong 👍🏽
:lol:

No one will ever convince me that Southgate is a good manager. Luckily for him you don't need to be, to win things at International level.

Just enjoy the progress, and stop worrying about people that have a different opinion to you, it's what makes talking about football interesting.

:thup:
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

We look a bit workmanlike, but at the moment it's working. Weve done well so far without giving the country any truly memorable moments. I'd love a gazza type goal or a penalty save to store in my football memory bank.
One moment that I can treasure forever
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

It's better to be lucky than good.
S-H

Post by S-H »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:03 am It's better to be lucky than good.
True, especially in tournament football.

He's still a big bum sniffer, though.

:D
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

dodger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:36 pm Bumping this.

Just as I was saying to the doommongers that we still had an excellent chance to go far despite functional group game performances, it’s vital the team keep their feet on the ground after this result.
Doommongers? Or fans who’ve watched England under deliver for decades and who’ve developed methods for protecting themselves from the inevitable disappointment?

It’s perfectly reasonable to talk down England’s chances, because being positive has (historically) only increased the level of disappointment.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I’m happy to eat a piece of humble pie. I gave Southgate some stick on here for what I considered to be overly defensive team line ups. We may not have been the most exciting team to watch, but 4 clean sheets later, we are in the quarter finals. Something that France, Portugal, Holland and Germany have not managed this time.
We have a great opportunity here to go all the way and if Southgate managed to do that, I don’t care how we play on the way.
S-H

Post by S-H »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:08 am Doommongers? Or fans who’ve watched England under deliver for decades and who’ve developed methods for protecting themselves from the inevitable disappointment?

It’s perfectly reasonable to talk down England’s chances, because being positive has (historically) only increased the level of disappointment.
Spot on, Daniel sa
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:48 am We look a bit workmanlike, but at the moment it's working. Weve done well so far without giving the country any truly memorable moments. I'd love a gazza type goal or a penalty save to store in my football memory bank.
One moment that I can treasure forever
I don’t know Lincs. I think both those goals yesterday will stick in my mind for a long time to come. Because of how good each was in its own way but also because who it was against and in a knock out round to boot.

As an aside, Ukraine should suit us.
dodger

Post by dodger »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:08 am Doommongers? Or fans who’ve watched England under deliver for decades and who’ve developed methods for protecting themselves from the inevitable disappointment?

I feel like these threads are getting slowly devolving into philosophical discussions on positive and negative attitudes in life.

Started watching England in the early 90s so like the rest of us I know all about the disappointments. I try to be realistically optimistic if that makes sense.

As I’ve said all along - we have a good team, maybe not the best in the tournament but one with a very good chance of winning it given the number of matches we have at home. Some just love wallowing in despair when we put in one bad performance (e.g. Scotland game). I just thought at the time it was unrealistically pessimistic (there were a few on here even saying we’d go out in the group stages).

Apologies for my positivity!
dodger

Post by dodger »

It’s interesting how fondly many remember Italia 90 and Euro 96, but both included mediocre or crap England performances. Selective memory I guess…I bet it happens in 20 years with this tournament as well, when people are moaning about the England team then. ‘Why can’t this lot be more solid and ruthless like the 2021 team?’ and such will no doubt be spouted.