Match #43/R16: England 2-0 Germany (5pm, Tuesday 29th June)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Match #43/R16: England 2-0 Germany (5pm, Tuesday 29th June)

Post by Daniel1895 »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:32 pm Going to enjoy my 10:30am catch up with my Munich colleagues.

Happily wearing my England shirt at work today.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

There's some precious souls on this forum.

Some of us have been critical of this current England side, and the manager, get over it, we are through to the quarter finals, and that is ultimately all that matters, isn't it? We all want the same thing at the end of the day, but there's always going to be a difference of opinion, on things like tactics, team selection etc.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

S-H wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:50 am There's some precious souls on this forum.

Some of us have been critical of this current England side, and the manager, get over it, we are through to the quarter finals, and that is ultimately all that matters, isn't it? We all want the same thing at the end of the day, but there's always going to be a difference of opinion, on things like tactics, team selection etc.
There are also some who would rather crawl over broken glass than admit they might have been wrong.

Let’s see what the team is for Ukraine. The only obvious change I can think of is Grealish for Saka.
S-H

Post by S-H »

dodger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:59 am There are also some who would rather crawl over broken glass than admit they might have been wrong.

Let’s see what the team is for Ukraine. The only obvious change I can think of is Grealish for Saka.
I want nothing more than England to go all the way, I've always passionately supported my country, it's not about who's right and wrong it' just a difference of a opinion, that's all.

No one will celebrate harder than me if we win, but If I don't agree with the manager's tactics or selections of course I'm going to want to debate it, win lose or draw.

At the end of the day I know that results are all that matter, but this place would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Looks like the EU are pushing UEFA to move the semi final and final away from Wembley (probably to Rome) using the covid rates in the UK as an excuse.

Money motivated imo but will be a nightmare for anyone from the UK trying to go to Europe to watch a match what with the quarantine measures in place.
GentlemanJim
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by GentlemanJim »

This England side plays cautions, at times frustratingly conservative football that's not always pleasing on the eye but gets results. What does that remind you of? Yes, exactly - sides that actually win trophies! I was not optimistic about this team before the tournament in terms of being a favourite to win the whole thing. I did think they would win their group - one of the few predictions I got right - but I thought that England looked like a team full of great individual players whose manager refused to unleash them and insisted on playing with the handbrake on. But after watching last night's display - not enjoyable, but effective - I am starting to think that England will either win this whole thing or at least make it to the final. You certainly didn't hear it here first, but you've heard it here as well.

Interestingly, every single team I predicted would lose even though I wanted them to win and advance has advanced: England, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Ukraine, Belgium. (I got only three predictions right: Denmark, Spain and Italy.) To continue in the spirit of making an honest prediction but hoping I get it completely wrong: I believe Denmark beats the Czechs 2-0 or 3-0. As for the England game, it's impossible to predict a Ukraine victory even as a joke or exercise in reverse psychology, the gulf between the teams is too great. It may not be a goal fest as England will still be cautious at the back, but anything other than a clear victory seems inconceivable to me. The other games I don't particularly care about, but I think Spain and Belgium will edge it. The Belgium game could go the other way though - had the Austria game not happened I would have said Italy goes through. Now we know how vulnerable Italy are.
Last edited by GentlemanJim on Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GentlemanJim
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by GentlemanJim »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:07 pm Had that been Belgium we were playing today, and Lukaku bursting towards our goal, just before Kane scored our second, that would've been 1-1. That's the sort of goal I've seen him score don't know how many times
Aunt, balls, uncle.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

S-H wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:07 am I want nothing more than England to go all the way, I've always passionately supported my country, it's not about who's right and wrong it' just a difference of a opinion, that's all.

No one will celebrate harder than me if we win, but If I don't agree with the manager's tactics or selections of course I'm going to want to debate it, win lose or draw.

At the end of the day I know that results are all that matter, but this place would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.
There's a world of difference between reasonable disagreement like yours and calling the manager a coward/gutless or accusing him or serving up turgid football.

As he said himself last night, he was ****ed if that team selection didn't work. That's not the actions of a coward.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

I see similarities with our very West Ham currently. Difficult to beat.
Playing hard for the manager and country.
And pointing a few noses out of joint
Robust sturdy functional
Call it what you like, it's working at the moment.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

In tournament football the result is everything, just ask the French, Dutch or Swedes. Or indeed the Germans come to think of it.

The Italian National side has always understood it, and this competition is no different, and I expect them to reach the final by fair means or foul, probably the later if need be.

Last night other than an extremely poor opening 10 minutes when I thought Germany could have gone 2 up, England never really looked in trouble, controlling most of the match. It wasn't pretty, but a two goal winning margin with no extra time needed was the definition of getting the job done.

Maguire to me never looks international standard, the great Alvin Martin must look at him and think caps were harder to earn in his day, interesting to see fellow West Ham United supporter Tony Adams praising Rice and Phillips. He knows.

S0 a trip to see the glories that were Rome, not past the Hound Dog singers home, awaits, with Ukraine the oppo.

Southgate should buy a lottery ticket. Good luck to him.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:53 am There's a world of difference between reasonable disagreement like yours and calling the manager a coward/gutless or accusing him or serving up turgid football.

As he said himself last night, he was ****ed if that team selection didn't work. That's not the actions of a coward.
I'm sure the coward/gutless remarks are the typical internet jerk to the hardest interpretation of anything. He didn't put out a swashbuckling attacking team to try and rip the opposition apart, even the poorer teams we've played. He'd gone for solid, unspectacular football that has worked out fine. Therefore he must be living in constant fear. It does take a certain amount of balls to do that as an England manager, because set out your stall like that and lose and you are absolutely ****ed. You can be an inspiring loser, but not an uninspiring one. As for torpid football (I assume you (and they) mean that instead of the whole nipple thing) well it has been bar a few flashes here and there, mostly last night to be fair. See the previous comment though, if it works you can refer to how "special" you are, if it fails you are looking for a new job.
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:53 am There's a world of difference between reasonable disagreement like yours and calling the manager a coward/gutless or accusing him or serving up turgid football.

As he said himself last night, he was ****ed if that team selection didn't work. That's not the ractions of a coward.
Spot on.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:31 am Maguire to me never looks international standard, the great Alvin Martin must look at him and think caps were harder to earn in his day, interesting to see fellow West Ham United supporter Tony Adams praising Rice and Phillips. He knows.
By and large, I agree with your view about Maguire, but I do think that, faced with the young but talented Havertz and Werner, he was deployed by Southgate as the ugly last barrier in front of Pickford's goal. In fact, both CB and keeper had the kind of game that suggested that they knew full well that they needed to get in their faces and battle them for the 90.

In that regard, he did his job perfectly.

Rice and Phillips deserve the praise, of course. Those two could be a part of England's midfield for the next 6-8 years.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I have to admit, as much as I'm not a fan of the negative tactics and football on display, I quite like the fact we haven't conceded a goal.

Fickle? Me?
Captain Corelli
Has liked: 162 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by Captain Corelli »

I'm over the moon that we won last night and well done the lads but f*ck me, that was a hard watch up until the point that Southgate pushed Rice further up and brought on Grealish!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

S-H wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:10 am I have to admit, as much as I'm not a fan of the negative tactics and football on display, I quite like the fact we haven't conceded a goal.

Fickle? Me?
That's not fickle, you've gotta keep the door shut the other end if you are to win tournaments. We saw it only the other night with France, who couldn't see a game out a game they had wrestled control over, but let slip. No matter how much control any team has over the other, they will always engineer a chance, or a half chance, which might even be from a misplaced clearance, a piece individual skill, or deflected shot, but you have to limit those. I think Gareth Southgate has been meticulous in his planning and that is showing
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

dodger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:59 am There are also some who would rather crawl over broken glass than admit they might have been wrong.

The problem Southgate has with Grealish is that at the moment he doesn't last 90 mins. So you either start him or bring him on later when the opposition are tired.
I prefer the latter.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:10 am I have to admit, as much as I'm not a fan of the negative tactics and football on display, I quite like the fact we haven't conceded a goal.

Fickle? Me?
All the sideways/backwards stuff does get a bit wearing at times, but I'd take our continued possession over the alternate England tactic of most years past: CB -> CB -> FB -> launch to no-one. At least we wear down the opposition with having to defend our possession now, instead of conceding it virtually as soon as we got the ball.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Did someone post the Gladiator 'Are you not entertained?' gif yet?
Doylaz
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Doylaz »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 am All the sideways/backwards stuff does get a bit wearing at times, but I'd take our continued possession over the alternate England tactic of most years past: CB -> CB -> FB -> launch to no-one. At least we wear down the opposition with having to defend our possession now, instead of conceding it virtually as soon as we got the ball.
This sideways/backwards possession stuff is what all the top international teams have been doing against for us years. We would constantly complain about the fact we couldn’t keep the ball like Italy/Germany/Spain etc. Now we are actually doing that people still complain about how boring it is. Sums up English fans perfectly.

Last night was nothing short of incredible and is the biggest England result in my lifetime. Southgate should have already earned our trust before this tournament so let’s leave the tactics to him and trust in Southgate!