2022 Tour de France

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: 2022 Tour de France

Post by Junco Partner »

I’ll join you for the descent Jonah :thup:

I thought Piddcock was a descent man too, but he’s absolutely eating the climb up.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Stunning by young Tom today. What a descent and great to see Froomey with him. Pretty emotional stuff.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Simple amazing from Pidcock yesterday. First tour, first win on L'Alpe d'Huez. Probably doesnt get any better than that. :thup:
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Junco Partner wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:05 pm I’ll join you for the descent Jonah :thup:
The amount of time it takes me to get up Warley Hill these days I better leave now. :)
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Jumbo Visma dropping like flies, going to be an interesting last week!
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

Jonah wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:39 pm The amount of time it takes me to get up Warley Hill these days I better leave now. :)
Ahhh, but the swoosh down Childerditch makes it all worthwhile eh? Some good cycling lanes around there.
Jonah wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:37 pm Jumbo Visma dropping like flies, going to be an interesting last week!
Says something about them that two major crashes including one with the yellow jersey and a serious injury to another and they didn't drop a second to Pogacer. Time will tell how much that all took out of Vingegaard, the shoulder knock and his solo efforts to get back to the front of the peloton may be too much for even such a strong team.

Scenery was a '9' yesterday, the sea of sunflowers cut by a line of lurid lycra, the castles and chateaus and the 'Dark Hedges' style tree lined roads. But boy it looked hot :fire:
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Its been another breathless tour so far and the dual and tactical battle between the top two has been fascinating. It will be interesting to see what happens now Jumbo are a couple of key men down

I managed to be at the roadside, about 1km from the end, to catch the stage into Lausanne the Saturday before last - it was a really steep last few km to the finish despite being in the city so it was more like a mountain stage with the riders well strung out and an incredible atmosphere. It was super hot then, but has only got hotter since. No idea how they do it
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

US commentary mentioned that the tar on the roads was melting on some stretches.

fascinating race though. whatever the outcome there's ALWAYS something spectacular in the Tour.

well worth the one year wait until it comes around again.

well played Whitters to get to watch some of it. a bucket list for me, that sadly will probably never get fullfilled....

but there's still that hope.......
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Great ride by Matthews the other day by the way.

If Pidcock is near the front today his decending would give him another win on this finish. But I assume there will be a break and he won't be allowed to get in it.

Wednesday and Thursday will be epic.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

121 F on the tarmac apparently...

:shocker:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

good day's racing.

how can one not feel for the winner Hugo Houle ?

if I heard correctly hasn't won a road race ever, then wins a stage at Le Tour.

his brother got killed by a hit and run driver while out jogging.

:cried:

no change at the head of the race overall...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Pogacar and Vingegaard battling it out together.

Pog falls off on the descent.

Vingegaard slows down and waits for him to catch up. Pog gets level, shakes his hand in a thank you.

that's what the tour is all about.

:newthumb:
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Just watched that :shake: lovely touch from Vingegaard, though I bet he relished it just a little bit…’there you go son, I’ll help you out’ 😂

Their duel in the sun is taking on epic status, day after day, stage after stage, their teams in bits but never off each other’s wheels…it’s been emotional.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Chapeau, Jonas! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Only just caught up with the last two days very late last night, trying to avoid the sports news again. Pretty epic last stages in the Pyrenees, and up until the Van Aert tow that JV had it was close but Pog still had some closing to do and was running out of days.

How classy was that sit up from JV when Pog went over? Brilliant. :thup:
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Jonah wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:38 am Only just caught up with the last two days very late last night, trying to avoid the sports news again. Pretty epic last stages in the Pyrenees, and up until the Van Aert tow that JV had it was close but Pog still had some closing to do and was running out of days.

How classy was that sit up from JV when Pog went over? Brilliant. :thup:
Reminded me of Wiggins called everyone to a halt as riders were getting punctures because some clown had spread tacks all over road
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

usually a bit of the other way around, you NEVER attack the yellow jersey if he crashes.

I am pretty sure one year, might have been Jan Ulrich or that who went over the side of a mountain and whoever was in front halted the entire tour to wait until they heard if he was okay, then waited for him to catch up. not sure if it was in fact Ulrich but it was back around that time.

another reason I love the tour. although there's SO much rivalry they don't forget "the unwritten rules"

and the handshake between them said it all............

another brilliant tour. the crowds were ridiculous today for a bloody time trial !!!!!!!
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

There’s no better long term spectator event on the planet
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Quite an Edition this year, one of the most gripping and keenly contested in a while with some epic stages and heroic efforts, I'm glad I stuck with it. It did feel like a Pogacer procession in the first week, but Vingegaard with the help of the incredible Wout van Aert, clung on then struck at the right time. The duel's in those mountain stages were epic, Pidcock's heart-stopping descent and win on Alp D'Huez, van Aert's heroics for his team, Thomas' matching the two leaders for as long as he could...it was all a treat to watch.

I reckon we've witnessed the birth of an era defining rivalry with these two young riders set to dominate for the next few years, it felt like the changing of the guard with Geriant Thomas on the podium looking like their father rather than a peer, so get used to these two swapping Yellow for a few years yet.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Just a great Tour. So many highlights, but I have to agree with David Millar's view that Van Aert may have actually been the star of the Tour.

Possibly the greatest all round performance ever. Sprinting, climbing, TT, super domestique. Incredible.