2022 Tour de France

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: 2021 Tour de France

Post by Vic_Watson »

Pog's won it already after today. Have to feel for Jumbo. All rosy yesterday, today a mess.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

was really surprised no one had started a 2022 thread.

crowds this past weekend was ridiculous. bit like those on the mountain stages later in the tour.

today and yesterday were fantastic rides.

as said, nowehre near the complete carnage over the cobbles as the last time, but there were still some hairy moments.

anyone see just after Van Aert fell and brought his team mate down or vice versa, he was getting back into the race and talking to the team mate who he had collided with when one of the team cars stopped almost in front of him. how he avoided another collison and would have ended up on the back seat, and still managed to keep on his bike were quite extraordianry..

:shocker:
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

Vic_Watson wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:27 pm Pog's won it already after today.
..and that's cemented it.

Great finish to that one today, bet Vingegaard thought he had it after going past Kamna.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

another great day.

Van Aert takes the stage after flogging himself to death yesterday for the team leader.

uphill finish too.

I know it always "taints" the sport when guys get busted but for those guys who ARE clean, this has to be the most arduous sport EVER. and there Shirley HAS to be some. well loads I would hope. just watching the effort makes me exhausted at times.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Engrossing stage today, Bob Jungels attacking solo from 60km out and big climbs to go, looked slightly bonkers then Frenchman Pinot went solo in pursuit of him up the climbs and got to within eyesight of him at the peak, the aggression was mad. Jungels stretched it open again on the descent while two Spaniards caught the brave Pinot at the line, he finished 4th.

Pogacar 5th.

The scenery was spectacular today, those French camera operators earn their corn alright.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:44 pm Engrossing stage today, Bob Jungels attacking solo from 60km out and big climbs to go, looked slightly bonkers then Frenchman Pinot went solo in pursuit of him up the climbs and got to within eyesight of him at the peak, the aggression was mad. Jungels stretched it open again on the descent while two Spaniards caught the brave Pinot at the line, he finished 4th.

Pogacar 5th.

The scenery was spectacular today, those French camera operators earn their corn alright.
A tiny part of a massive skiing area, les Portes du Soleil. Around 600km of pistes, worth several visits.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

At some point Ineos need to send Yates up the road to put pressure on UAE and isolate Podg
Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

Great to see the break succeed today but Pinot must be the stupidest racer alive. He even looks thick.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:44 pm Engrossing stage today, Bob Jungels attacking solo from 60km out and big climbs to go, looked slightly bonkers then Frenchman Pinot went solo in pursuit of him up the climbs and got to within eyesight of him at the peak, the aggression was mad. Jungels stretched it open again on the descent while two Spaniards caught the brave Pinot at the line, he finished 4th.

Pogacar 5th.

one of the list of things I watch the tour for...absolutely stunning.

I watch the American coverage and therefore don't know if the European commentators do the same, but pretty much you get a history lesson when they show the big chateauxs or the churches or whatever. so great background.

I also love the locals roadside shows with wherever they are, their homage to the tour. they must spend HOURS dreaming up what to show and putting it together. they're another big part of the fabulous coverage.

is there ANY sport in the world that you can go and watch the absolute best of the best do whatever it is they do FOR FREE !!!!!!!!!

don't know how many years now I've watched the tour. when I lived in the States you got initially 30 minutes a night and a hour on Sunday, no live coverage at all. and those miinutes were including massive amount of commercials.

now of course you can watch for the US audiences about 4 hours or more a day of completely live coverage with all that goes on in it.

brilliant.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

Vingegaard strikes!!

Pogacar had nothing. This will blow things open a bit.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

was just going to post, I can't believe no one (in general) is posting, this has been a cracking day's racing........
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

“Pogacer unzipped and battered” - commentator

Class move from Vingegaard, looked very comfortable coming over the line, this could be a major psychological blow for Pog. Thomas done very well to hang in there too.

Game on.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

no kidding. this race in general is so unforgiving....however, I remember a few days back Van Arte absolutely shagged himself out one day for the team, and won the stage the next day.

the powers of recovery are phenominal. tomorrow any rider could bounce back and any one of the leaders crash out physically. Pog did look completely done. but I've (as I am sure have you) seen that only for the rider to do well tomorrow. there's another mountain stage tomorrow.

Alpe d'Huez tomorrow

:shocker:

that's another reason I love this race.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Scenery was a good 8/10 today, racing was a 9.5/10.

Alp d’Huez on Bastille day….where else would you rather be?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Junco Partner wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:29 pm Scenery was a good 8/10 today, racing was a 9.5/10.

Alp d’Huez on Bastille day….where else would you rather be?
given my 'ruthers, right there.

and as we know the French ALWAYS go out to win on Bastille day.

should be a good day.

Pog seemed in great spirits post race and in the interview.

Just looking at todays finishes there's several Frenchmen who might give it a go.

Bardet
Gaudu
Barguil
Latour (there's an apt name for a cyclist)

all finished today no more than about 5 minutes down on todays winner.

Bardet is only 2.16 seconds out of overall first place. Gaudu only 3.13 down overall. either could have a go. all of course depends on how the team stacks up.

Ineos have 2 riders right there at 2.26 and 3.06 down respectively.
Pog said he'll have a go tomorrow.
Vigegaard's team did great for him today. can they do the same tomorrow.

I'll be tuned in, should be a great day with Pog trying to get some time back and the other leaders trying to claw back time. Thomas should be a good position to do so if anyone else can.
Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

What a day of racing. Brilliant gang bullying by Jumbo got the job done. What has Pog got left for tomorrow?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

That was epic. Anyone who says cycling isn't a team sport needs to watch today. Jumbo proper roughed superman up.

Didn't see him cracking though. Good ride from G, still well in contention.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:39 pm That was epic. Anyone who says cycling isn't a team sport needs to watch today. Jumbo proper roughed superman up.

Didn't see him cracking though. Good ride from G, still well in contention.
Pog a lot too good for his team mates. had no one there to share the load.

Quintana I saw asking for water from HIS team mates who all refused. either their bottles were completely empty or they were...
Diddy
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: 2022 Tour de France

Post by Diddy »

Haven't seen a day of racing like that in the tour for a while.

Amazing stuff.

Pog can come back no doubt at all. Maybe attacks today or the team rides for him today and saves himself for the pyranees and the time trial at the end.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Re: 2022 Tour de France

Post by Jonah »

I was in a Data Center all day yesterday with blessed be the fruit AC (had to put jeans on for the first time in 2 weeks!) anyway, I missed it live and the 7pm catch up so avoided the sports news until I got home, wow. I see JV (and the rest of the top 10) smashed the time up Col de Granon 18.84kph avg, on 9% gradient and 6.10w/Kg (albeit on very lighter bikes) that is some doing though.

I need to tick an alps mountain stage visit off of the bucket list.