The weather

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Re: The weather

Post by WCpete »

:chin:

there's water droplets falling from the sky...

what is this?
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:44 pm :chin:

there's water droplets falling from the sky...

what is this?
If you're in the Castro District it's not water :shock:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I'm afraid to ask, but I'll forge ahead. What's falling in the Castro?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Thought the apocalypse was gonna hit here a short while ago.

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:32 pm Thought the apocalypse was gonna hit here a short while ago.
Loki summoning Aliens again? he usually does it over New York but Southern England will do this time) Thor is out of town so you'll have to save us DL.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

I'm ****ing off to Wales in the morning, so save yourselves, ****ers....
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Hurricane Ian is about to hit the west side of Cuba then regain strength & smash into somewhere near Tampa Bay. My old hood of St Pete is in the firing line, although that could easily change.

People in my old shop have been having customers fighting over cases of water bottles for a few days now. No idea why people don't just keep a few cases at home. They know hurricanes are coming each year, but no, every year fist fights over water & gunshots over petrol.

In Florida you have the new transplants (mainly retirees from the mid west) who will panic & either flee the State - all the roads north will be gridlocked for days - or panic & buy supplies for years.

Then you have the ones who have been through a couple of hurricanes for years who will casually tell all the newbies how this hurricane isn't as bad as the storm of blah blah blah.

Then you have the true Florida Crackers who won't even think about it & will be out fishing & drinking beer about an hour before the hurricane hits. These are the ones who have generators at home because you might not have power for up to a month, and you really need air conditioning & a fridge at this time of year.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Been chilly all day today. Dunno if I'm spoiling for a cold or something but I'm seriously contemplating sticking the rad on for a hour or so.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:27 pm Been chilly all day today. Dunno if I'm spoiling for a cold or something but I'm seriously contemplating sticking the rad on for a hour or so.
I did that earlier, to test the rads after summer. Seemed okay. Watched the smart meter tick over at an alarming rate. Switched it off again.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Ian, such a lovely name, about to smash into Venice area. We lived right there in Nokomis. It's a low lying area with no hills (other than man made ones made from giant piles of rubbish covered with dirt then grass) and plenty of inlets, canals and rivers.

There's going to be some catastrophic flooding, especially if the hurricane doesn't move too quickly.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:27 pm Been chilly all day today. Dunno if I'm spoiling for a cold or something but I'm seriously contemplating sticking the rad on for a hour or so.
Feel exactly the same even though I dont feel unwell, just bloomin freezing cold. In fact, Ive felt cold for the last week or so but not going near the heating yet. As I live alone in a large house I'm thinking of getting one of those oil filled electric rads and using that when I work from home, must be cheaper than putting the heating on and warming up the whole gaff. Can even have it in the bedroom to warm it up first thing and move it into the office when I get up.

I'll use the central heating when my lad comes over which is every other weekend.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 pm Ian, such a lovely name, about to smash into Venice area. We lived right there in Nokomis. It's a low lying area with no hills (other than man made ones made from giant piles of rubbish covered with dirt then grass) and plenty of inlets, canals and rivers.

There's going to be some catastrophic flooding, especially if the hurricane doesn't move too quickly.
Naples is getting ****ed. Just saw video of Fort Meyers. All the water from the river and bay have been sucked out to seas. In an hr it's all going to get blown on shore at 155mph. They're expecting a 10'+ storm surge. If you don't have a second floor to your house and you're still there, your life is in danger. This storm is mean. My niece is in St. Pete. Looks like the worst of the winds will miss her but the amount of rain expected will be significantly greater than we get out here in a year. My Dad is on the east coast, hopefully far enough south to miss the brunt of the back end. Stay safe Floridians.
Last edited by WCpete on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:54 pm Naples is getting ****ed. Just saw video of Fort Meyers. All the water from the river and bay have been sucked out to seas. In an hr it's all going to get blown on shore at 155mph. They're expecting a 10'+ storm surge. If you don't have a second floor to your house and your still there, your life is in danger. This storm is mean.
A load of my old workmates stayed put because they thought it was heading further north. There's only two roads out. East to Miami or north into the storm.

They'll also be without power for weeks
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:56 pm A load of my old workmates stayed put because they thought it was heading further north. There's only two roads out. East to Miami or north into the storm.

They'll also be without power for weeks
Hope they're far enough inland. Naples is quite literally being drowned right now.

Fort Meyers:

Naples:

Last edited by WCpete on Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:59 pm Hope they're far enough inland. Naples is quite literally being drowned right now.
They're all over. Many near the Gulf. One girl sent me a photo a few hours ago saying she was ready. The photo was of a bottle of tequila & some limes.

I've asked her how she is now but no response. She's very close to the beach.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Storm surge is at 9 ft right now in Naples. DeSantis probably should be making nice with the Feds about now. This is going to be an expensive fix.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:57 pm Storm surge is at 9 ft right now in Naples. DeSantis probably should be making nice with the Feds about now. This is going to be an expensive fix.
Slightly unrelated but I have been reading about the home insurance business in Florida. It's f*cked.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:12 pm Slightly unrelated but I have been reading about the home insurance business in Florida. It's f*cked.
They’re going to be busy.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:54 am They’re going to be busy.

There's not too many left
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »