The weather

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: The weather

Post by wolf359 »

-4 this morning in Wigan, got woken up at 6am by the scrapers outside trying to thaw out their cars. Currently -2 according to the car. Forecast has it in double figures by tomorrow morning. Heating can go back off.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Denzil wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:21 am Looks cold out. Wfh on a Monday is joyous. Feeing smug, still in my dressing grown, cuppa tea, browse through KUMB, dog looking at me like why tf are we not out walking yet.
I've been working from home since March 2020. Not gone back to the office and not planning on going back any time soon. My line manager is the same, saying there is absolutely no reason to go back as we've been working efficiently for nigh on two years at home. I have to say, getting up at 04:45hrs in the morning to get to work in this weather really isn't my idea of fun, particularly not a 120-mile round trip on the motorbike either!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think I would have gone nuts if I had continuously worked at home for that length of time.

I am not digging you out, just different strokes, I suppose. I am working at home today and the 'do that tomorow' devil has already made his way onto my shoulder, whispering and making me log on here instead...
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

GCRO 'working' from home..

Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:50 pm I think I would have gone nuts if I had continuously worked at home for that length of time.
Likewise, I'm in a similar IT wfh boat to GCRO also. Our infrastructure dept of 30 people have proved we can run a multi site/country setup remotely just as fine. No long days with commuting 4 hours up and down the A12 / Greater Anglia trains each day for some of them.

A few of us will go in for the odd bit of physical work, but that falls on the guys (like me) that live closer to the offices or Datacenters.

All of our desks have been lost now anyway after they finished off the office re-vamps and moved everyone in IT to hot desks - which don't have anywhere near the setup the majority of us like to have to monitor and run our systems correctly.

I really can't see us going back permanently in the next 18 months at least. It makes it easier that the majority of us are in the demographic of being old enough to have office spaces at home where no kids are distracting.

Back to the weather, the Mrs was working in my hut on Friday and rather than let the Hive plug turn off the radiator at 5:30, she pulled the plug socket.....Headbanger Frickin freezing in here this morning! :lol:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

We are supposed to be back two days a week from December, but I imagine we’ll get an email soon delaying that again.

Is optional at the minute, but between the trains being rubbish, tube strikes and the weather I cannot say I’ve been busting a gut to get in.

Was due to go in last Wednesday then saw my calendar consisted of seven Teams calls and thought what is the point?

I will start going in again as my mental health definitely suffers at home, but I find the odd trip in once a month has been fine to manage that.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Had to be recycling today, didn't it..

My estate is going to resemble the aftermath of Glastonbury festival..
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Yesterday gave rain and hail .

Today is giving rain , snow and very strong winds .

Another day in front of the TV . :scarfer:
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

It's sprinkling here today.

That may not be a big deal to you lot but it's a massive deal to us.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

It's been raining here for most of the past week. And it's cold rain too. Temperature has been hovering between 11C & 15C.

It's ****ing miserable.

California really does need the rain though.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

It has been unseasonably mild here in Hampshire - 16c today … sat outside in t-shirt and shorts!!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Was nice and sunny yesterday so the Mrs decided we were going for a walk then re-stocking at the Coop - felt quite warm outside so I put a fleece over my t-shirt - when we got to the Forestry Commission walk 10 miles down the road the place was in the shade and the tracks covered in a hard frost - it was bloody freezing - I looked in the boot of the car in the off-chance I'd left a coat there , no luck , I'll remember to pack one next time .
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Been proper "grim up north" for last few days, visibility from our high perch I'd guess about half a mile. Just put the bin out 4:30am and it was warm out there!

On working from home, been spoiled into resenting even my short commute (20 minute bus and a walk past the Cathedral) but then teaching online is vastly less effective or enjoyable than f2f.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Walking around in shorts and t-shirt.

Balmy.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:49 am Walking around in shorts and t-shirt.

Balmy.
Likewise. Both balmy and barmy at the same time.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

16°C New Year's Eve & New Year's day, in London?
I fear the future...
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Samba wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:52 pm 16°C New Year's Eve & New Year's day, in London?
I fear the future...
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... rd-6416697

1916 is the current record, it has happened before (just these extremes are happening more often now). It is double the average though which is bonkers.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Samba wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:52 pm 16°C New Year's Eve & New Year's day, in London?
I fear the future...

Anything that stops the energy companies earning more money out of us is fine by me. Long may it continue. My heating hasn't been on for 3 days.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:59 pm Anything that stops the energy companies earning more money out of us is fine by me. Long may it continue. My heating hasn't been on for 3 days.
You'll probably have to use it in July :lol:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I swear it's been 3 weeks since I've seen sunlight. We've just had a blanket of low, grey clouds permanently.

Even yesterday evening it looked as though it was clearing for a potential sunny morning, but nope, same again - grey, humid and cold.

*Insert joke about mother's vagina*