The weather

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: The weather

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Didn't realise they were good for pollinating, ok, I'm working on something to kill every one in the local area - I will also plant 3 million trees and have a 10 acre bee farm to become pollinating "neutral". I'm talking to the green party now to help fund it.

I just went on that page, I feel violated, horrible ****ers... :shock:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

'Cause London is drowning...I...I live by the river...
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by Shabu »

What happened to the bloody heatwave?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There was an excellent article in Saturday's 'Mail' about this, which forecasts 40c temperatures will be the norm in the UK, in as little as 10 years. It makes the point, we have not the infrastructures to cope with heat like this, when the Government should issue warnings, not to venture outside in heat like this but you can be sure people will flood to beaches, river banks and gardens and other people, such as construction workers, will still be working in such intense heat. Our transport system, is not built to cope with temperatures like this and will grind to a halt and it won't just be the elderly who will be most at risk, but young, fit and healthy people will also be at risk of death by heat exhaustion
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:22 pm What happened to the bloody heatwave?
It's ****ed off thank f***. I was having real problems sleeping so decided to sleep downstairs on the sofa. That was a cue for our pug to try and get fruity with me. :shocker:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:15 pm 'Cause London is drowning...I...I live by the river...
[square] collect dirty water
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:58 pm It's ****ed off thank ****. I was having real problems sleeping so decided to sleep downstairs on the sofa. That was a cue for our pug to try and get fruity with me. :shocker:
Pug f*cker!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

S-H wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:15 pmPug f*cker!
He never got past first base, the filthy little git.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 pm There was an excellent article in Saturday's 'Mail' about this, which forecasts 40c temperatures will be the norm in the UK, in as little as 10 years. It makes the point, we have not the infrastructures to cope with heat like this, when the Government should issue warnings, not to venture outside in heat like this but you can be sure people will flood to beaches, river banks and gardens and other people, such as construction workers, will still be working in such intense heat. Our transport system, is not built to cope with temperatures like this and will grind to a halt and it won't just be the elderly who will be most at risk, but young, fit and healthy people will also be at risk of death by heat exhaustion
We had a real chance post covid to change the way the world works and help address climate change

But no we wanted to rush back to same old ..
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 pm There was an excellent article in Saturday's 'Mail' about this, which forecasts 40c temperatures will be the norm in the UK, in as little as 10 years. It makes the point, we have not the infrastructures to cope with heat like this, when the Government should issue warnings, not to venture outside in heat like this but you can be sure people will flood to beaches, river banks and gardens and other people, such as construction workers, will still be working in such intense heat. Our transport system, is not built to cope with temperatures like this and will grind to a halt and it won't just be the elderly who will be most at risk, but young, fit and healthy people will also be at risk of death by heat exhaustion
Thats the kind of story the Mail have ran every year for the last few decades. Either that or a big arctic freeze that will bring death and destruction. They're weather obsessed.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:21 am Thats the kind of story the Mail have ran every year for the last few decades. Either that or a big arctic freeze that will bring death and destruction. They're weather obsessed.
To be fair, it's not entirely unfounded.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Authorities in Eastern America are getting phone calls from worried citizens saying that they can smell smoke or burning plastic.

They then have to inform people that it's from the fires 2,000 miles away on the West Coast.

And we're not even into the worst part of fire season yet.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Hurricane Ida is probably going to smash into New Orleans tomorrow bringing storm surges as high as 3 metres.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Meanwhile where I am in Mexico, Hurricane Nora is barreling along the coast bringing heavy winds and rains but not making landfall yet. It might smash into Cabo San Lucas in a couple of days as a major storm.

I'm in Guadalajara for a couple of days and the bloke driving wants to leave at 5am tomorrow so he can get home to see Man Utd meaning we'll be driving towards it, down mountains in the dark. Trees could be thrown across the road but he wants to watch Ronaldo :lol:

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Shabu wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:12 pm Meanwhile where I am in Mexico, Hurricane Nora is barreling along the coast bringing heavy winds and rains but not making landfall yet. It might smash into Cabo San Lucas in a couple of days as a major storm.

I'm in Guadalajara for a couple of days and the bloke driving wants to leave at 5am tomorrow so he can get home to see Man Utd meaning we'll be driving towards it, down mountains in the dark. Trees could be thrown across the road but he wants to watch Ronaldo :lol:
Good luck, Shabu.. :pray:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

A friend of ours who came to dinner last Saturday had to order a tanker full of water on her landlord's insurance for her home and holiday home as the private water system which feeds her house and 17 holiday chalets in Ord has dried up . Not sure how the chalets are getting on but she's alright .

The water board refused to help as they're on a private system .
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Ive promised to camp in the garden tonight. Half tent and inflatable bed. I'm trying to get the kids to forget
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

eye wall of Ida is 15 miles wide with 150 mph winds. That said, browsing a few of the storm chasers broadcasts it doesn't look that bad, for some reason.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

That drive was a bit mad. Set out at 6am, still dark and we had another heavy night on the mezcal and tequila.

First half we flew along but as we got closer to the coast we saw lots of downed trees, flooded rivers, some crossing the street and a couple of roads that had collapsed.

Fair play to the Mexicans, they were all out at dawn clearing the road. Regular people and government workers alike.

All the rivers just north of Puerto were maxed up and the bay here is brown grey.

Still, we got an upgrade on our hotel room so lovely ocean view 8th floor with balcony :grin:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

When this changed - to storm footage - I actually held my breath.