Gareth Southgate.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate.

Post by hammers92 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:05 pm I see Tony Adams has waded in now, labelling Southgate. ' A good loser, but he's another tosser too, right ?
Difference between him and Jordan is that he speaks with authority after a career winning trophies. (Sadly, also not at international level).

Jordan run Crystal Palace for a while. Fantastic, thank you for coming.

It’s like Agbonlahor having a pop at Klopp, his opinion holds no authority.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

This ‘good loser’ tag is presumably also attached to Venables, Greenwood, Capello, Sven, Bobby Robson et al? Either that or they were bad ones.

Southgate has come closer to winning something for England than any of them, but he’s suddenly the nearly man in a sea of winners.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:18 pm It’s like Agbonlahor having a pop at Klopp, his opinion holds no authority.
Or like Jermain Jenas, any time he says anything about anyone.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Doc H Ball wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:15 pm This ‘good loser’ tag is presumably also attached to Venables, Greenwood, Capello, Sven, Bobby Robson et al? Either that or they were bad ones.

Southgate has come closer to winning something for England than any of them, but he’s suddenly the nearly man in a sea of winners.
I believe the 'loser' tag is to cover his entire managerial career, which is devoid of success unlike those others you mention. Southgate close but still no cigar.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Which perhaps goes to show that club pedigree has little to do with international success? It’s entirely different building a team with money than managing a national side.

You’d think Ancelotti would get us over the line, but a sprinkling of the English malady and who knows? Maybe it’s in our psyche?

Whatever, I think people should be far more respectful to Southgate even if they think someone else could do better.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

IMO, our biggest tactical problem in the crunch games was how to handle the opposition playmaker. I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure we let Modric have too much space in 2018, Jorginho in 2021, and Greaseball on sunday. We did well to restrict Mbappe on sunday, but that left space for Griezmann to work the ball to Giroud. A real tactical flaw that we've never quite found a solution for. Remember Pirlo in 2010? Had about 300 touches of the ball and everything went through him, so it's not a recent deficiency.

Could use a player of that type ourselves. Point's been made a billion times, but we still haven't produced a player of Gazza's calibre to unpick a defence since the erstwhile thirsty Geordie was in his pomp. Joe Cole was the closest I've seen, until Jose got his hands on him.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I really do think we learn piss, bugger all from our perennial easy qualifying groups to World Cup tournaments. I know that is not our fault and we can only beat what is put in front of us. I get that equally as well as anybody else and that we have no control over that. But, ultimately, it is FIFA who have the power to do something about this, since it is they, who are besotted with having England in the the finals because of their large fan following, spending money once they are there. It is just a thought, but we might be better prepared for these finals, if we had some proper qualifying matches, instead of the usual routs of the likes of Andorra , Slovakia, Lithuania, San Marino, and Scotland and then have Clive Tylddesley having orgasms over Harry Kane busting the net against all of them. Just a thought and just a point, but it's a good one and a highly relevant one
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:30 pm I really do think we learn piss, bugger all from our perennial easy qualifying groups to World Cup tournaments. I know that is not our fault and we can only beat what is put in front of us. I get that equally as well as anybody else and that we have no control over that. But, ultimately, it is FIFA who have the power to do something about this, since it is they, who are besotted with having England in the the finals because of their large fan following, spending money once they are there. It is just a thought, but we might be better prepared for these finals, if we had some proper qualifying matches, instead of the usual routs of the likes of Andorra , Slovakia, Lithuania, San Marino, and Scotland and then have Clive Tylddesley having orgasms over Harry Kane busting the net against all of them. Just a thought and just a point, but it's a good one and a highly relevant one
That's basically the case for the Nations League, isn't it?

I mean, it's a much-maligned tournament, but the idea of giving international sides more "competitive" fixtures with sides of a roughly similar status (especially for the San Marinos who otherwise just face a hammering every qualification tournament) is a pretty decent one.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:33 pm That's basically the case for the Nations League, isn't it?

I mean, it's a much-maligned tournament, but the idea of giving international sides more "competitive" fixtures with sides of a roughly similar status (especially for the San Marinos who otherwise just face a hammering every qualification tournament) is a pretty decent one.
Yeah but my point is, most nations have some decent opposition in their qualifying groups, whereas we never have any. Our groups are a walkover for us. I know we cant help our FIFA ranking, we can only beat what is in front if us
Of course, this will remain high, if we continually beat, even thrash European minnows and that will only remain high and thus, maintain our ranking if thus continues. Germany's ranking will slide this year, because of their slipping status, so we may draw them in the next qualifying campaign. That will liven things up a bit. They will be much stronger next time and next time, more than any other time they will get it right
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:44 pm Except it was very poor, as commented on by many, including other referees. Did it cost us the game? Who knows, possibly not, but he was awful throughout.
yes, agree mate, and who knows, but the score was level when Kane was brought down for the first time. might have inspired the French even more, but we might have been 1-0 up and it could have been a whole different story.

however, he was still, along with the ref, the Spanish bloke maybe who was worse.

the two worst performances this WC.

bar none.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:13 pm IMO, our biggest tactical problem in the crunch games was how to handle the opposition playmaker. I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure we let Modric have too much space in 2018, Jorginho in 2021, and Greaseball on sunday. We did well to restrict Mbappe on sunday, but that left space for Griezmann to work the ball to Giroud.
If only we had a really gifted, energetic defensive minded midfielder in our squad who could be utilised in a role to sit on and snuff put those playmakers.

If only we’d had a manager in those games capable of recognising that obvious threat and counter.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

sendô wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:37 pm If only we had a really gifted, energetic defensive minded midfielder in our squad who could be utilised in a role to sit on and snuff put those playmakers.

If only we’d had a manager in those games capable of recognising that obvious threat and counter.
Fair call.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

If there was anyone remotely available as a viable alternative I would cast Southgate adrift immediately
Unfortunately there isn't, so may as well keep him till the Euros

He will guarantee you a QF place and then lose to anyone half decent
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:06 pm If there was anyone remotely available as a viable alternative I would cast Southgate adrift immediately

Moyes will be available in the New,Year. I mean, what about him?
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:06 pm If there was anyone remotely available as a viable alternative I would cast Southgate adrift immediately

Possibly, if you restrict yourself to an 'English' manager. I'm not so precious about it though. Although, equally I am not that worldly wise, as some on here, who may know who is available or could be.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Southgate is a drip. Get rid
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:30 pm Possibly, if you restrict yourself to an 'English' manager. I'm not so precious about it though. Although, equally I am not that worldly wise, as some on here, who may know who is available or could be.
Having an English manager is a pre requisite for me
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

The arrogance of ignoring wins against countries some seem to think beneath us has reared its ugly head again
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

He was on course for a knighthood, but not anymore. Will have to make do with CBE
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Southgate has done a great job and we have come really close, however...

Leading up the World Cup we looked a shambles... we were poor in the Nations League games and friendlies and didn't look like we were fully prepared for the World Cup that was coming. I get experimenting but it feels we left a lot of it too late (i.e., we shouldn't have been experimenting with a 433 in the first game of the tournament)

The USA and Wales performances were pretty poor. That doesn't negate that the US performed well and made it difficult but we weren't very good. Either we didn't raise our game because of the opposition and felt we could cruise or we got it wrong tactically but it was hardly the masterclass performances that build confidence.

We have had golden opportunities to win the last 3 tournaments in my mind (we weren't blown away in any of the games just outplayed when it counted) and keeping falling at the final hurdle. For all the great work in getting there we didn't have the manager or ability to get it over the line. I get the irony as this is maybe similar to what is being levelled by some at Moyes but for Southgate his chances don't often come around so frequently and another tournament could mean another wasted chance.

Who could step in? A tricky one because I don't think being a good club manager translates into being a good international manager and so all of the usual candidates may actually not be equipped for it. I'd like English (although not essential) and someone who can get things done quickly while managing egos. My vote (based on how he has done at Newcastle) is Eddie Howe.