Gareth Southgate.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate.

Post by Muddy »

Best England manager i've seen in my lifetime, also most enjoyable England squad i've watched in my lifetime.
World cup semi final and the European finals consecutively. I never would've dreamed that was possible under Sven, Capello, Woy, ect.
I think the future looks bright.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

sicknote wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:29 pm You don't respect my opinion and never have , or this website, most people see through you, but carry on you are covered in teflon on here by those who make decisions , like a few others on here and have carte blanche to mock opinion and milk it, I never have understood why but sadly that's how this website has deteriorated, and all the usual suspects will flock here like you to incite and go against popular well meant opinion
Ad Hominem Sicknote.
As usual you play the man and not the ball. I politely gave reasons why I disagreed with your view and added nothing personal at all, indeed I did not mock your opinion (give me evidence). Who are 'most people' and why so sensitive? As I have said countless times to you before, disagree with my argument by all means and don't make it personal.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Muddy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:51 pm Best England manager i've seen in my lifetime, also most enjoyable England squad i've watched in my lifetime.
World cup semi final and the European finals consecutively. I never would've dreamed that was possible under Sven, Capello, Woy, ect.
I think the future looks bright.
Same for me Muddy.

Keep seeing mantras about “easy routes” - if the internet was around in 1990 god knows the reaction to squeaking past Belgium and Cameroon
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:54 pm Ad Hominem Sicknote.
As usual you play the man and not the ball. I politely gave reasons why I disagreed with your view and added nothing personal at all, indeed I did not mock your opinion (give me evidence). Who are 'most people' and why so sensitive? As I have said countless times to you before, disagree with my argument by all means and don't make it personal.
Not the first time recently that you've been chatting ****
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain. The best move Gareth could make at the moment is to go out on his shield, but I think he will soldier and eventually be hounded out. The unique circumstances of the last couple of tournaments looks unlikely to reoccur, to say the least.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

e17 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 pm Same for me Muddy.

Keep seeing mantras about “easy routes” - if the internet was around in 1990 god knows the reaction to squeaking past Belgium and Cameroon
People have short memories. As we know there are no easy games in football. it wasn't that long ago we were getting embarassed by Iceland. We've been a bit of a laughing stock for years. Under Southgate i genuinely feel that we can compete and I actually enjoy watching us play.

Did he make some suspect decisions? Yeah sure. That second half effectively killed us.We came out playing like a beaten time despite being 1-0 up.
I think he'll learn from it and we'll move forward and continue to improve. I just hope the idiots dont start calling for his head and slagging off the squad.

But all in all, for me this England team has been a beacon of bright light washing away some of the misery of the pandemic.
Last edited by Muddy on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Why should he go out with the WC in 18 months?

f*** me, if Scotland had got that far in the last two tournaments they’d rewrite the Bible.
e17

Post by e17 »

Muddy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:03 am But all in all, for me this England team has been a beacon of bright light washing away some of the misery of the pandemic.
Yep. I also feel he’s honestly done a bit of a job in uniting the decent parts of this country in raising their hands up too. He’s represented himself and his players brilliantly.
e17

Post by e17 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 am Why should he go out with the WC in 18 months?

**** me, if Scotland had got that far in the last two tournaments they’d rewrite the Bible.
Don’t bite mate. Rise above it.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 am Why should he go out with the WC in 18 months?

**** me, if Scotland had got that far in the last two tournaments they’d rewrite the Bible.
For Gareth, he would be able to get a decent job at the moment, perhaps back in the Premier. A few failures on the trot and he could find himself person non grata.
r99c

Post by r99c »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 am For Gareth, he would be able to get a decent job at the moment, perhaps back in the Premier. A few failures on the trot and he could find himself person non grata.
Last edited by r99c on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

e17 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 am Don’t bite mate. Rise above it.
:zippy:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Best manager in my lifetime:

Hahahaha.

Geezer is a massive charlatan. I’m amazed if anyone cant see this. Rabbit in the headlights when the pressure is on.

Jack Grealish is the best number 10 in Europe. He brought him tonight at 99 minutes.
r99c

Post by r99c »

For ****'s sakes

Bunch of deluded sofa football manager pricks in here tonight?

A MASSIVE cultural shift in the training ground was needed with England. We just got dumped out group stages in 2014 World Cup and Iceland 2016 Euros last sixteen. Southgate comes in and suddenly semi then final. Massive charlatan my arse. Sorry, you're yet another scapegoat ****er, the kind who I have seen lots of on Twitter just now. They probably don't even watch football regularly and think games are won on paper. Just f*** off with your negative crap.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

2 goals conceded...and we still didn't win. Defence has been superb.

Yeah, tonight wasn't his finest hour and we need to find a way to make things tick more in the attacking third rather than having Kane dropping deep to get fouled 40 yards out but best England manager for me since El Tel.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

r99c wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:32 am
Bunch of deluded sofa football manager pricks in here tonight?
Maybe. I’m at Stratford on my way home after spending more thousands following this team.

Am I a deluded football manager sofa prick? I don’t think so.

A better manager would have won tonight. He is out of depth for the squad at his disposal - in my opinion.

I won’t call you a prick for having a differing opinion to my own.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

r99c wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:18 am**** off prick
That's two separate threads where you're clearly being abusive to people for having their own opinions on what is at the end of the day just a game. Southgate did well all tournament with his tactics and decision making but today he came up short. What's the problem with stating that?
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Got pelters on here last week for saying that I still didn’t rate him as a manager. I stick by it, nice man, not a great manager. He’s reactive rather than proactive, too pragmatic and I actually think he makes too many (quite unforgivable) mistakes that he seems to get away with.

He’s honest, speaks well and protects his players, but ultimately hasn’t got what it takes to be a winning manager. Not one for kicking anyone while they’re down but it’s what I’ve always thought about him, even going back to his U21 days.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Feel gutted for him that it had to be on penalties for everything that he went through in 96.
I don’t think he is a bad manager but he played it way to safe tonight.
Yes he has united the team and you can never knock him for that and you can see that they are a good bunch but he had to go for it tonight, a major cup final and he brought arguably our most creative player on after 100 minutes.
I like him and think he’s been great and I want him there for the next World Cup but he will be judged on tonight and rightly so where I think he could have been a bit more ruthless in going after the Italians. We have the players to do so and that is why it’s so frustrating!
Shabu
Has liked: 4162 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

I do find it odd that we've done so well in recent tournaments and people are saying he's no good.