Gareth Southgate.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate.

Post by Colours never run »

He continues to prove the doubters wrong in Tournament football. He's managed it extremely well and even played some quality, exciting football along the way under his tenure. Top, top manager. 👏
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Cuenca ...Spot on.

Tough when you have 16/17 players that should be starting,and your putting up against best players/teams in the world,
not easy.
It's results that count,and you can't really argue with what he is achieving..

But No Doubt we go a goal up,but lose 1-2 to the World Champions...he'll be a Useless F***ker again,but that's Footie..

Useless T**t...shoulda taken Bowen,we all told him... :lol:
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2014 likes

Post by Shabu »

'stone hammer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:37 pm
I was discussing this with a mate; why are there far fewer world class players now? A decline in quality coming through, or has the overall bar been raised? Maybe a golden generation of players?
Bars been raised. Kids just about anywhere in the world can watch football from anywhere and the past and learn the habits of the greats.

They're also usually snapped up by a club before they're ten so learning professional level standards early doors.

The homogeneous nature of today's interconnected society.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Just realised I started this thread..

Fickle as you like, me.

:D
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

'stone hammer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:37 pm Completely agree S-H, however there won't be a better time to win one than over the next decade. We have an abundance of young talent coming through while most nations (but not all, unfortunately) are still relying on the old guard with little to replace them.

I was discussing this with a mate; why are there far fewer world class players now? A decline in quality coming through, or has the overall bar been raised? Maybe a golden generation of players?
It's not a lack of quality in general but there does seem to be a missing generation of players at the very top levels of the game. Feels like all of the best players at this tournament are under 24 or over 30. Harry Kane being the very rare exception of a team's star player being in what is usually considered a player's prime.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

You can argue that Southgate has been the man in charge of the best results the English national side has ever had. Maybe even better than the side of '66, considerning the much larger amount of professional players outside the Europe and South America.

If he manages to beat France, he'll be the best, in my eyes.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

szola wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:09 am You can argue that Southgate has been the man in charge of the best results the English national side has ever had. Maybe even better than the side of '66, considerning the much larger amount of professional players outside the Europe and South America.

If he manages to beat France, he'll be the best, in my eyes.
In respect of tournament progress, absolutely ( bar 66).
In respect of best results (and performances), no not for me.
** I'm assuming you mean individual games.

Argentina in 2002 was fantastic, Dutch 96. Germany qualifier but obs not tournament.

He has done what is required and very well. Saturday will be his biggest test. But so far in the big games against top sides we/he hasn't imo.

But we go into Saturday knowing if we play well can win and will be a brilliant result.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

More I think about this game, the more I think it will define England for a long time to come. We're the underdogs, I'd say, and it'll take every ounce of belief, experience, confidence and adaptability that he's instilled into the squad to do it, as well as a tactical & managerial ruthlessness we haven't quite yet seen from Southgate.

Win this one, and it could well usher in a new era of dominance, built on a culture of knowing we've got enough for absolutely anyone. Lose it, and it might take a while to deal with the scars of another knockout defeat to a bigger dog.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

El brooko79 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:50 am
He has done what is required and very well. Saturday will be his biggest test. But so far in the big games against top sides we/he hasn't imo.

But we go into Saturday knowing if we play well can win and will be a brilliant result.
Kind of where I am with this.

Up until now I respect what he has done, but am frustrated at falling at the hurdles we have previously fallen at, from winning positions. He should have learned a lot from those last two tournaments.

France are beatable, but they have that winning mentality and a coach who has done it.

Hopefully Southgate can do it too as we have the best pool of attacking players I have known, so many options for starting places is a great place to be

Roll on Saturday :newthumb:
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I just hope he doesnt blow it as at previous tournaments. Are we just flat track bullies or will he/we raise our game against better opposition. Still a poir manager in my book, but more than happy to eat my words if/when he actually wins something.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

'stone hammer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:37 pm
I think a lot of players are more interested in CL football and individual glory rather than International football. They get paid a pittance on international duty and could pick up an injury which rules them out of a CL final or the like.

I don’t however think is the case in this country with any of the home nations. It still means something. The fact that Southgate has introduced a “club culture” also helps.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:13 pm I just hope he doesnt blow it as at previous tournaments. Are we just flat track bullies or will he/we raise our game against better opposition. Still a poir manager in my book, but more than happy to eat my words if/when he actually wins something.
We swept Germany aside at the Euros last year, and were unlucky to lose to Italy.

This France game is the real test.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

sendô wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:02 pm We swept Germany aside at the Euros last year, and were unlucky to lose to Italy.

This France game is the real test.
To be fair, everyone has swept Germany aside recently and the Italy game we capitulated (IMHO). As I say, flat track bullies at the moment and no more. Stuff the French and win the WC and I will happily eat my words.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Capitulated is a bit strong when after two hours of football the score was 1-1
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Correct. We lost narrowly in a penalty shootout.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Southgate has done something that nobody else has done.

His not only made players bring their club form to an England shirt(very few have),his made a few play better.You take Pickford and Maguire,they look outstanding for England.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

sendô wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:44 pm Correct. We lost narrowly in a penalty shootout.
True, but after going 1-0 up 3 minutes in, whilst playing at home against an Italy team which hasn’t qualified for the last two World Cups, we still rarely looked like winning the game.

For me Southgate is outstanding off the pitch, but his in-game management when it’s really mattered has been extremely poor, both against Italy and Croatia.

He has a chance to change that on Saturday. A chance to do something he’s never done before, win a game we aren’t expected to win during a major tournament. Until he does that he can’t be considered the best England manager.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

The level of professionalism within the game have never been higher. The volume of players never been higher. The number of good, quality teams, never been higher.

Yet England has delivered the highest level of consistent performances in tournaments.

He is vastly under appreciated.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Yep, making a lot of people eat pie
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Believer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:10 pm I think a lot of players are more interested in CL football and individual glory rather than International football. They get paid a pittance on international duty and could pick up an injury which rules them out of a CL final or the like.

I don’t however think is the case in this country with any of the home nations. It still means something. The fact that Southgate has introduced a “club culture” also helps.
I don't think this is true for any country to be honest. You just need to look at the reactions to wins and losses in this tournament to see that's the case.

There is definitely a question of whether we ask players to play too many pointless friendlies and newly minted competitions designed to hide the fact they are playing pointless friendlies.